My daily runabout, aka Project magpie...

Hey guys, I've been a member on uksc for years, I've had a starlet, a Glanza and currently drive a Sz supra;

6.jpg

However, with fuel prices as they are I've needed a cheaper runabout for a while... And I came across this little bargain the other day!

8d9b8425.jpg

432f2f2b.jpg

But I had to get busy removing the stickers and sorting the numberplate!

553e4040.jpg

613cb7a7.jpg

I intend to spend very little on her, basically other than essential servicing parts and tires.

Other than that I will only get cheap 'pre loved' parts for her!

Plan will be sorting my stereo out in it, and possibly lowering it.

Also the alarm doesn't work, so anyone got any ideas on what to check to get it working again?

Top work so far Scutch. Saw this and felt truely sorry for it. I WAS considering buying it, returning it to standard and selling it on as an unmolested car. Glad you got your mitts on it.

Il have a ganders about for a numberplate surround, should have one somewhere, could have sworn I saw one the other day.

Other than that, breakers yards/ebay breakers are your best bet. Try the blue one on eBay, I think he wants just £200 for the full car.

Thanks guys, well pleased with her so far, not quite as good on fuel as I'd hoped tho, I scraped 40mpg out of it the other day, but normal driving is about 33ish... And it's defo overfueling... So I'll be changing the thermostat and lambda sensor this month too. Any other recomendations to nurse back the mpg?

Exhaust is probably in a bit worse a state than I thought, so I'm hopefully sorting that out asap.

Compounded out most o the scratches the yesterday too, and gave it a clay bar, you wouldnt believe the colour of that clay now... I think I'm gonna be getting a new un'!

I'm also generally on the lookout for some old used lowering springs. Super cheap, don't care how rusty they are or what make as long as they lower the car!

So if anyone knows of some, gimme a shout!

• 4 weeks later...

Right sorted the exhaust, got a Glanza system on the magpie now...

Here's the modified midsection

aeeea80e.jpg

The painted up backbox

a51a01a6.jpg

And it fitted to the car

f74c4bab.jpg

Nothing special but firstly it doesn't blow anymore ad secondly due to the free-er flowing system and backbox it actually sounds pretty raspy! So well pleased.

New clutch is going in next week and possibly a corolla manifold.

Then it'll be some cheap lowering springs and then that's it!

• 7 months later...

Bit of a late update, installed a new clutch, and 02 sensor, stuck my hks intake on it, painted the griffin wheels black, and lowered it 40mm,

Got bored and stickerbombed it

This was how she looked

P1050629.jpg

P1050634copy.jpg

P1050622copy.jpg

P1050625copy.jpg

P1050628copy.jpg

The got bored with the stickerbombing, so pulled that all off, then managed to bag myself a cheap set of jbl speakers, so they're now in there, also got lucky and got a nice set of rims cheap, and fitted them today.

Here's the results

d06345bc.jpg

26e73246.jpg

50e4f013.jpg

ad42f3fb.jpg

c4b73c03.jpg

a26ba7c8.jpg

Well pleased with the results.

What's the going rate for a sound 5efe nowadays? As the valve stem oil seals have clearly seen better days on my current one!