Hi all i belive my headgassket is blowing after my race at 150mph with the porsche,

i have no mayo in oil

and the car has never over heated

its still driving sweet

but after searching wikipedia and speaking to a few mechanics drving on full boost may be lifting the head and that engine/exhasut gases are gettin into my coolant and causing air lock and these are being forced out on boost resulting in me loosing coolant

so my question is:

should i go for a uprated gasket if so how thick? athena 1.2mm? can some one confirm

should i get arp head bolts?

have read this is conmon when people have pushed these cars past 120mph

as a general rule you shouldnt hold boosted cars on boost for long periods of time. and mine used to weep a lil bit of coolant out after reaching silly high speeds... but if i kept it pinned it would slowly push all the coolant into the overflow bottle...

give it a few mins and it sucks it back into the system again...

but if its pushing so much that the water is being pushed into the bottle and out the overflow cap then yeh you have an issue!

if your on the stock ct9... a athena 1.2mm would be perfect (stock ones are 1.2mm) ARP headbolts arent a bad idea ether!

if your using a bigger blower... td04 or bigger go with 1.4mm :)

as a general rule you shouldnt hold boosted cars on boost for long periods of time. and mine used to weep a lil bit of coolant out after reaching silly high speeds... but if i kept it pinned it would slowly push all the coolant into the overflow bottle...

give it a few mins and it sucks it back into the system again...

but if its pushing so much that the water is being pushed into the bottle and out the overflow cap then yeh you have an issue!

if your on the stock ct9... a athena 1.2mm would be perfect (stock ones are 1.2mm) ARP headbolts arent a bad idea ether!

if your using a bigger blower... td04 or bigger go with 1.4mm :)

thanks socks i was thinking of going td04 in the very near future im still on stock internals and yup still on ct9 i have just been qouted at a guess around £450 for the labour inc a head skim, what do you think im a bit gutted really

hmm. if your pllaning to go td04... would make me think twice... td04 is fine for stock internals too if mapped right!

will the 1.4 mm be ok ? runnig on ct9 with stock internals till i get the tdo4 kit sorted out?

yeah, i know i said before but i didnt read everyones posts, i just thought i had lost some coolant and didnt look into it properly until now so i need to get it sorted i just wanted to check as to what gasket to get and whether arp bolts would be good

yeh be fine... will produce less power tho!

tbh tho a 1.2mm will be fine on a td04 on stock internas actually...

only wen u got forged with bigger turbos that i wud go for a 1.4mm or bigger!

ok thanks socks cheers for the heads up ill go for 1.2mm then and arp should help with keeping the head from lifting?

another suggestion for stopping your head from lifting is not driving at an average speed of 140mph.

also, which track is it that has a straight with an average speed of 140?!

whats your problem mate ? why you being funny?

just been looking to buy the athena gasket and it says :

"Toyota manufacture their head gaskets with some of the water ways blocked off to aid warm up. On high powered engines this can cause problems especially losing water under high boost."

Could my head gasket still be ok? im running just under a bar boost? also were is the best place to buy the gasket from?

• 5 years later...

just been looking to buy the athena gasket and it says :

"Toyota manufacture their head gaskets with some of the water ways blocked off to aid warm up. On high powered engines this can cause problems especially losing water under high boost."

Could my head gasket still be ok? im running just under a bar boost? also were is the best place to buy the gasket from?

Can anyone highlight on this please ? Seem to be having the same problem thanks