how can i make my car faster

hi i have an ep91 98 starlet s and i was wondering wat can i do to it to give it some beans and i cant buy one yet but does anyone know were i can get aftermarket catback systems for my starlet i wanted a japspeed one but it was for glanzas and wouldnt fit

cheers

:)

hi i have an ep91 98 starlet s and i was wondering wat can i do to it to give it some beans and i cant buy one yet but does anyone know were i can get aftermarket catback systems for my starlet i wanted a japspeed one but it was for glanzas and wouldnt fit

cheers

:)

and if there are ways and you can be bothered give me a wishlist of wat i should get :)

Corolla inlet manifold, a decent cat-back exhaust system, decat, k and n panel filter are all the basic mods for an n/a, gets expensive if you want to squeeze a lot more power out of it though

Drop in a 5efe if you want a bit of extra power without much hassle.

Being a 98 spec does the engine have a distributor or coilpacks?

not to sound stupid but i dont know im still learning about it as the days go and wats a 5efe? :s

not to sound stupid but i dont know im still learning about it as the days go and wats a 5efe? :s

The 5efe is the 1.5 engine and they are found in a toyota paseo.

If you want abit more top end power for very little money then the glanza inlet is your best option along with the glanza throttle body.

Save up and buy a Turbo engine or just buy a Glanza. N/A tuning is pointless. You'll spend a small fortune and get 10hp more.

I spent around £150 and I made 21bhp out of it my n/a made 90.9bhp on dyno, Impressive for a 1.3 keeping up with ztec 's and vtr's

I had

De-cat into 3inch rolltip

Corrolla mani

Induction kit

And my cAr had done 127k miles

Haha a 306 diesel is like a 1.0. Don't go no where. Well if mine ain't 90hp and keeping and even beating 98bhp cars these 1.6's must have like 85? A serviced regular engine , well looked after ofcourse it can, I got it dynoed 6 times so yeH sure that's gonna lie

^^^^^^^^^What he said, having owned a SR and thrown money at it, then going to a GT I know it is pointless. You want your car faster in a straight line or down a road with bends?

Best thing you can do before improving any car's pace is to improve the handling and braking first. Unless you just want to be a traffic line hero?

The guy asked what can be done and we answered, no point arguing over it, obviously they're not fast but he could just wants to squeeze a bit more power out of it.

Yeah your older got more stories to tell etc but you can't knock people for trying.

Ross

not everyone can afford to buy a turbo or even insure one, especially teenagers, hence why we buy n/a's. it isnt poitnless tuning them if thats what u want to do. i agree that there is very little to gain from them but its still worth doing the usual stuff to get to around 90hp. it is possible and to some people 90hp is fast as like i said we cant all afford high powered cars

The point I was making is that it is pointless pushing for 90bhp when a car will be far faster if it handles and stops correctly unless of course the only time he has fun is in a straight line!

Might be nice staying with aVTR/Zetec S like my SR could in a straight line, but unless when you get to that next round about/corner you can match their handling you will be laughed at!

dont knock us n/a boys for trying to push more power out of them... We`ll crack 100hp, then you`ll hear us shouting :) not all of us a old enough nor have enough ncb to insure turbo... or even the money lol.

my S is mint around the back lanes and cornering now, some of the best mods ive done are the handelling ones

90hp is better than 74hp standard spec.

edit;

back to topic, you can do several things..

what ive done..

- glanza inlet

- glanza throttle body

- k&n panel filter

- magnecor HT leads

- 4-2-1 exhaust manifold

off the top of my head..

and shes getting dyno'd on the 25th :)

dont knock us n/a boys for trying to push more power out of them... We`ll crack 100hp, then you`ll hear us shouting :D not all of us a old enough nor have enough ncb to insure turbo... or even the money lol.

my S is mint around the back lanes and cornering now, some of the best mods ive done are the handelling ones

90hp is better than 74hp standard spec.

edit;

back to topic, you can do several things..

what ive done..

- glanza inlet

- glanza throttle body

- k&n panel filter

- magnecor HT leads

- 4-2-1 exhaust manifold

off the top of my head..

and shes getting dyno'd on the 25th :)

Looking forward to seeing what you make on the rollers :) what injectors are you useing Lee?

Well it's quick for us young lads . I'm 18 and your what ever you can afford faster cars and insure them we can't so stop wineing on about how 90 bhp is slow. It ain't to us n/as it's an improvement!

I actually think we are not whining, we are trying to give you benefit of our experience seeing as we have previously owned n/a starlets!

Power isn't everything, and why pay the extra premium for the little bit of extra poke you get plus the placebo of it feeling faster due to the noise and how responsive it is.

Realistically the mods you should be doing is as Rubix Cube said, then after that concentrate on getting the weight of the car down, it being set up properly and you will have more fun on the a/b roads than the tiny advantage you will get on the drag strip

As the other lads have said, dont throw money at it, unless you can afford to of course :lol:

The starlet can be great little car on track/ b-roads, but spend money on brakes and a decent suspension set-up. Can then outbrake/ take corners much quicker than bigger cars.

I have tracked my first SR and my bro's current one quite a lot and its amazing that a pretty underpowered car can keep up with much bigger stuff in the twisities :lol: Of course having a turbo is a lot more fun, but as you said being young not everyone can afford a tubby!

At the end of the day, its your car so do what YOU want! ;)

Adam

Looking forward to seeing what you make on the rollers :lol: what injectors are you useing Lee?

the low impedance injectors that came with the S, looks like a slightly different fuel rail too... the injectors sit higher than normal ones too :lol:

/less arguing about expereince, you all know how nieve us young'uns are ;) we`ll never learn haha, thats part of the fun of modding, doing it yourself

cant wait to roll on the rollers ;)

If you honestly think 90hp is fast, you must lead a boring life. My 306 is a piece of shit, it gets me from A to B, but it shifts well for a big car. On the motorway it pulls hard, which is fine for me, I was simply using it as an example. Just because your 90hp car beats 98hp cars isn't something I'd shout about. It can be down to anything, driver, poor servicing etc. 8hp is fuck all, 8hp can be the difference in a few degree's of air temp.

All I'm saying to the OP is simply, if you are interested in tuning, wait. Do Simple shit like a filter and an exhaust, but don't expect massive gains in performance as they just are not their. Don't throw tons of money at a 1.3 N/A car if you are interested in going fast.

This comes form 10 years of fucking about with cars from 1.4 Clios to my 180sx.

90bhp may not be fast for you mate. but as the fella said 90bhp is fast enough for an 18 year old. It doesnt mean that weve got n/a's that we sit and do nothing to our cars. standard n/as come out at 74ish bhp, i would say getting it to 100 without load of money is possible mate.

i lov smaller engines and 100hp is around starting to feel fast and if your wieght is down thn game on. i think u can get lots of extra power from the 4e with very little money spent but thats just me. i personaly like tunning N/A because to get power out u need more understanding and better knowledge. not just turning up booste. i was always told booste presure is chesting wen it coms to VF of a cylinder and if you get lots of power out of a N/A by straping a blower to it will only enhance your mods. but am talking general and not this engine spasific. the main problem with the 4e engine is the over square cylinders meaning it is not ideal to rev it and lets be honest wen u push for power it mainly gets put on to the topend of the rev range. but no joke this little engine is awsome for the begginer tunner or novice racer as 90hp out a factory n/a (and wen i say factory i mean the stuff u bolt on to give u extra) so in my opinion no need to tell insurence or anybody, looks like it should be thr. i think the first person to hit that 100hp mark out this engine will be a legend and lets face it its a 1.3 thats pretty imence.

chris

90bhp may not be fast for you mate. but as the fella said 90bhp is fast enough for an 18 year old. It doesnt mean that weve got n/a's that we sit and do nothing to our cars. standard n/as come out at 74ish bhp, i would say getting it to 100 without load of money is possible mate.

Thankyou.