Hi, I got myself some lower springs for my Sportif. I've managed to change the front fine and can get the rear struts out of the car, but thats where I hit a wall.

I can't get the top mount off to replace the spring. The only way I can see to do it is to undo the nut at the top, which just turns the shock. I've tried gripping the shock through a cloth and again through a bicycle inner tube and each time only ended up scratching the shock a little.

A friend has suggested grinding the nut off and finding a replacement, but as both rear struts are doing it meaning I can't just use the other one to find a replacement nut before hacking away at it, I've decided not to do that just yet.

So, can any of you help me with this? I feel a bit foolish driving around in hot rod stance.

i got mine off by putting the strut in a vice, then holding the shock absorber with a spanner.

Tried this already and it just ended up hurting my shock a little bit more.

Socket Gun will get it off, if you dont have one nip to your local garage and ask them to gun them off.

I'll give it a go when i next have access to it. Cheers for the advice, guys.

Just in case. Is there anywhere I can buy new mounts from? And shocks that don't cost as much as those on ebay?

• 1 month later...

sorry for hijack,

i decided to put my Apex rear springs on the other day, and found after dropping the car off the jack that the top coils are touching. around 4 of them

i installed them so the tighter coils are at the top. have I put the springs on right way round? :D

sorry for hijack,

i decided to put my Apex rear springs on the other day, and found after dropping the car off the jack that the top coils are touching. around 4 of them

i installed them so the tighter coils are at the top. have I put the springs on right way round? :D

iirc it doesnt matter which way round the coils go, when i put my spax springs on the rear a few coils where touching but it got past the MOT no problems.

its just becasue there progressive coils.