Oil flow around engine

After seeing a few posts about baffled sumps to stop oil surging when corning hard around a track for example, i was wondering if fitting an oil cooler would prevent surging as effectively you are inserting an extra 1 litre oil buffer before the oil is reinserted back to the engine.

I wasnt sure if the oil gets sucked straight from the sump to the head, or does it go via the sump then the filter and then back to the head and sump again, which order does it do it in?

If that makes any sense!!

Would that extra 1L of oil just be up in the oil cooler though, rather than being in the sump so making no difference? I could be wrong though, I also want to look into a baffled sump as I starved a bearing of oil on my old engine causing it to spin a shell. That was on a long sweeping corner :/

jamie

i did say a while back that i can get a load of baffled sumps made up but at the time no 1 had any interest

if anything an oil cooler slightly reduces the pressure of the oil around the engine as it has further to travel.

here are some pictures of my baffled sump anyone feel free to contact me regarding them if they want one

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

We can do various different designed baggled sumps.

To the original question an oil cooler is more likely to cause you problems than add to oil surge issues. It wouldn't act as an accumulator as it relys on pressure for the oil to flow through it. You can get an accumulator, think a couple of companies do them which work on the same priniciple as your thinking. In reality though your better off fixing the problem rather than trying to mask it IMO.

Regards

Ricky

I agree, baffled sump seems to be the way, I have spun a bearing before on track at Silverstone which confused the hell out of me at the time as the engine was in good nick with low miles, so was wondering how the crank got packed in.

Seems oil surge could have been the problem as the original sump design allows the oil to easily flow out of it.

I would be very interested in a baffled sump.

We can do various different designed baggled sumps.

To the original question an oil cooler is more likely to cause you problems than add to oil surge issues. It wouldn't act as an accumulator as it relys on pressure for the oil to flow through it. You can get an accumulator, think a couple of companies do them which work on the same priniciple as your thinking. In reality though your better off fixing the problem rather than trying to mask it IMO.

Regards

Ricky

I agree, baffled sump seems to be the way, I have spun a bearing before on track at Silverstone which confused the hell out of me at the time as the engine was in good nick with low miles, so was wondering how the crank got packed in.

Seems oil surge could have been the problem as the original sump design allows the oil to easily flow out of it.

I would be very interested in a baffled sump.

i posted all the info you need to get 1 !