My 5 Door Tropicana Turbo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Not much of an update. Attended JapShow and was getting horrid times, 16s :thumbsup: . Partly because it was my first time at Santa Pod and I suck, and partly because I couldn't get any grip.

Now that I've graduated from uni and got a job, I'll be doing a few mods here and there every month or so.

img20111001181637.jpg

Some 15" alloy wheels. Saw them on that popular auction site for 99p.

Yea, they look fugly, but I won the set + tyres for 25 quid. I'm currently refurbishing them but the weather has just turned nasty. I was dying in the car during the heatwave with no aircon when I was collecting them, now it's all cold and windy when I want to spray them!

img20111010024800.jpg

EMB. Installed and running with no map. Hopefully by next month I should have enough for a new mani and a decat. I'll probably have to get a uprated fuel pump as I'm still using the one from the N/A.

Once all the prerequisites are out of the way, I'll get this thing to a RR and have it mapped. :p

needs a fast car magazine sticker to accompany them terrible wheels :)

Yea. Needs a NOS or TYPE-R Sticker somewhere :p

They are god awful, but for 25 quid, I couldn't resist!

They don't look too bad in black tbh, hides away their crappyness. Currently waiting for the paint to dry.

img20111014150034.jpg

img20111014150212.jpg

• 4 months later...

So... The weathers been good lately. Quick update.

Went Miss Banzai tunnel run. Saw a handful of Glanzas, not sure if they belong to anyone here. Was a pretty good night.

Got these alloys 10th October 2011. It's now 14 March 2012 and I only just finished Refurbing them!

img06642.jpg

Brand new Hankook rs2 tyres to go with them. Cant wait to test them out.

thats awesome! can only imagine the trouble you have getting the power down, my bog standard n/a struggles in second gear round corners, and thats with about 70bhp lol!!! but the fact it isnt low and modified looking is what makes it!!! maybe just get some stiffer springs made, or bung some caravan assisters in the rear coils, they stop compression and are used for when towing a trailer normally, cheap too...

link...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spring-Assistors-Fits-TOYOTA-STARLET-EP90-96-ON-Towing-/230687885094?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item35b611c726

would help your launches in a ghetto way! best improvement i ever got on my old civic which i dragged a lot was adjustable rear shocks, less squat = more grip!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Small update.

Wheels fitted. Don't look so bad in black.

img20120407172851.jpg

The handling and grip has gone up tenfold. I can only imagine what it's like with new shocks and springs or coilovers. On the downside, going from 165 70R13 to 195 50R15, the ride isn't as comfy and you feel more bumps on the road.

Currently awaiting new mani, decat and boost controller in the post. After it's remap time, ready for JapShow.

@micrat: I was considering that mod after your post. But after installing the new tyres, the wheel spin is now very minimal. I might just get them and slap them on just for the strip ^_^

And something I found at the breakers yard:

img20120322163250.jpg

what engine management system you running?

what power you aiming for?

Got a GReddy e-Manage Blue wired in and ready with no map on it. I've spoken to my tuner and it's perfect for my needs.

Power wise, I've no idea. I'd be very happy with 150 ATW. But it's a Dyno Dynamics RR and I've been told to underestimate to avoid disappointment. :o

The wheels look smart for £25, still keeps the sleeper look too. Just needs to be lower and it'll look smart as!

Thanks! I may get promoted at work within the next few months so suspension mods are not off the cards just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Weather been real bad lately. Some weird drought we are having.

Anyways, I've been hoarding some parts and I've now got a mountain of parts to install but can't because of this stupid weather.

img0670re.jpg

img0684yh.jpg

New SS manifold and decat. The SS manifold I'm only fitting as a temporary part whilst I port the stock cast mani, I know it's only a matter of time before it cracks.

Also got a Walbro fuel pump, boost controller and tachometer to install. The car is also due a service and I've got 4L of 10w40 Motul 300V oil waiting with some NGK heatrange 7 Copper plugs.

Looking at MetOffice, I don't think the rain will stop anytime soon. :cray:

• 3 weeks later...

Started prepping the car for a remap over the past few days.

All that needs doing now is to change the spark plugs to a grade 7, do an oil change and and fit the decat.

How it looks now.

img20120512161603.jpg

I was actually meant to have the remap done today, however a remapper (who I won't name as he isn't here to defend himself) has been messing me about. We decided on a date and he said he would email be back what time he would be able to do it. It's been about a week and no reply, even after sending a subsequent email. He obviously doesn't want my business so I've decided to look elsewhere.

I've since contacted Steve from FC Tuning after a recommendation from a friend. He's been very helpful and always quick to reply to my emails. My remap is now booked for 23rd May, 5PM.

I've also just just had my wheels aligned today at Kwik Fit (Gasp! My local one is actually very professional and nothing like the horror stories you hear) ready for the rollers and Santa Pod!

• 1 year later...

Wow! It's been over a year. Been really busy with work but have managed to get a few little bits done here and there.

Also did a track day at Brands Hatch with a friend and his MX5. Only thing I need to change now is the breaks. Can only complete 3 or 4 laps before the brakes became useless.

The remap last year didn't go to plan unfortunately. The stock actuator just didn't hold boost and dipped as low as 0.6 Bar. This has been remedied with a HKS adjustable actuator and now running 0.9Bar till redline :D

PLX SM-AFR Wideband fitted so I could remap and adjust fuelling myself. Works a treat.

Got hold of a SR TTE Spoiler. Resprayed and bonded to the boot lid. Makes the car look less blobby.

Some Heko wind deflectors fitted just because.

Found a starlet at my local scrap yard with clear indicators. Bought and fitted.

I had a set of Lenso RS5 Alloys sitting in my garden for a year. Decided to refurb them myself in gun metal grey.

Stumbled upon some K-Sport Kontrol Pro coilovers. Car is now lowered! Handles really well but the ride is rather harsh.

Nankang NS-2R tyres fitted at the front. Really good tyres and really sticky. Tested them at Brands Hatch and cornered really nicely.

Some pics of how it stands now:

esae.jpg

hp6c.jpg

pyl7.jpg

po67.jpg

Edited by s1fu

The PLX really is a good bit of kit. Using the narrowband emulation which works flawlessly. No need for any free air calibration as well.

I'm from SW London. If you've seen me around Kent, It's probably me visiting my cousin in Erith or heading to DMS. :thumbsup: