mech5107- EP70 2e-telu

I always loved the box style starlet, from the time that i was a kid.

This ep70 was originaly my grandpas car.
The original specs were:
XL (base) edition
1E engine
Standard suspension, brakes, everything.

When still being stock, the thermostat got stuck and overheated, damaging the headgasket and the piston rings.
I opened it, changed rings, rod bearings, headgaskets and valve seals, but soon it started burning oil again.

I did 5000klm this way and at the end it was burning like 1lt of oil in every 70klm smile.png
Still loved driving and revving the 1E.

In that time i fitted k-sport coilovers, full glanza brakes, skyline brake master cylinder, nissan n14 sevro, 14x6 black racing wheels, custom lower control arms bar, custom front and rear strut braces, c-pilar bar a bride brix bucket and nardi steering wheel.

The concept is to keep it JDM and sleeper (as possible).

Some pics:
DSCI0144-Copy.jpg
DSCI0136-1.jpg
DSCI0015.jpg
IMG180.jpg
IMG190.jpg
IMG192.jpg
DSCF0021.jpg

Then i decided to change the engine to something that was in better state than my 1E and maybe more power.
I was lucky and found a complete ep71 turbo, a bit crashed, so i swapped the 2e-telu engine, gearbox, driveshafts and complete wiring.

DSCF0001.jpg
IMG_20110430_110757.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

As you see it's more or less stock...

Current specs:

-Engine:
2Ε-TELU - 1300cc - 12valve - CT12 turbo
Radiator from 1500 diesel ep70
Denso IW20 plugs

Low Temp theromostat
HKS filter
HKS Actuator

Oldschool HKS BOV

HKS EVC3 boost controller

Apexi old school turbo timer

TRD 1,3bar radiator cap

Magnetic sump plug
ENEOS 5-40 Full synthetic oil
Magnecor KV85 leads
ZEP 60 decat
Custom 60mm exhaust without resonators, just a backbox

-Transmission:
5speed box, unknown type
Open diff (TRD 1.5way diff is waiting)
Aluminum gear selector bushings
Quick Shift custom made and knob made of ertalon
Exedy Clucth kit

Total 75w90 gearbox oil

-Brakes:
Starlet Turbo front and rear
ATE SuperBlue Racing fluid
EBC yellow pads front / Mintex rear
EBC Grooved discs
Custom braided lines
Sevro Ν14, MC Nissan R33 GT-R 17/16"

-Wheels/Tires:
Black racing 14x6 et40
Spacer 3mm front, 9mm back
Falken Ziex 912 185/60/14

-Suspension:
Ksport coilover
EP71 turbo front strut bar
Custom rear strut bar
Custom lower control arms bar
Custom C-pilar bar
Front 20mm antiroll bar (EP71 turbo)
Adjustable panhard rod
Whiteline anti-roll drop links
Whiteline adjustable rear antiroll bar
Whiteline caster kit
Superpro 34mm front arms bushings

Ultra Racing room bar

-Interior:
Turbo S instruments panel
Boost meter Greedy 52mm
AEM wideband
Cheap mp3 Felix
Nardi classico 350mm
Bride Brix bucket
EP71s interior

Domo-Kun and lego Darth Vader hung from the sun shield

-Look:
Stock ep70
Raised bonnet
~4cm lowered
"Team EP789.gr" sticker on back door

Future plans:
A haltech stand alone that i have lying around
An LSD diff (TRD 1.5way waiting)
Custom lcd screen multi gauge for oil temp/press and water temp.
Greddy EGT (have it in my desk)
Oil cooler with mocal thermostatic adaptor and celica gt4 rad (i had it in my 1E, waiting to be fitted again)

Edited by mech5107

Some more pic...

The only one from the dash ( i will get a new/better one)

IMG_20110604_185938.jpg

IMG_20110603_123139.jpg

DSCI0137.jpg

My lower arm bar (made it myself, CR-MO 1", tig welded. I can jack the car from this, no problem)

30062010002.jpg

Rear strut bar (self made, cr-mo 1", with rod ends directly on top mounts bolts)

IMG193.jpg

Some interior

IMG177.jpg

DSCI0140.jpg

Wheels (need refurb, tires look bad, but those Yoko DNA GP were perfect)

DSCI0014.jpg

• 4 months later...

Now that the site is back and my account is also re-enabled, i updated the car specs + a recent foto of the engine bay.

I couldn't belive how much difference front caster kit and polybushed made to the car handling...

The caster kit is the EP82/91 model. Fits perfect in ep70 arms. The code is klc325 i think.

Front polybushes are supperpro, ep82/91. It's the 34mm version. I think the code is 1881 or something

I can verify the codes, but as i said, it's just the ep82/91 models.

First of all, the steering is much more active. Better feeling, a bit heavier (good in my opinion).

The understeer is reduced a lot.

The noise has been significantly deduced (my old bushing had ~180.000 klm).

The general feel of the car is much improved, more informative and active i could say.

I had the front bar for some time now. I just added new droplinks. Made some difference, not much.

I'd suggest getting a whiteline 22mm or something, but i'm not sure is it will fit the ep7 chassis.

I do plan to get a stock gt bar and try...so i let all know

All are bolt on, only one brake line had to be bend, but that's easy, without tools.

I used the N14 sevro, cause my LHD car has not enough space between the sevro and clutch MC, so i needed something small in diameter but bigger in capacity.

After fitting the sevro, the brakes had too much power for my like, so i needed an bigger MC, so to have stiffer pedal and more control, as my car has no abs.

I searched the local junk yards and found the R34 GTR that fits. Actually there are 2 versions, one that is 1" piston size and one 1 1/16". There is also the option of Navara that is 15/16"

I have enough power, good control, but the first section of the pedal travel is very soft, i think due to the sevro.

• 1 year later...

Just a small update.

After timming belt change (230.000km) complete with seals etc, the car now running an HKS EVC boost controller and an Apexi turbo timer.

Also long time ago, i snapped one of the handbrake cable (i'm using turbo brake setup on my axle). The replacement one has a slightly bigger head diameter, so not straight fit.

Nothing that an angle grinder can't fix. Hopefully this will be shorted soon and be able to use the truning brake again.

Also looking for a fmic core, no longer than ~550mm (total with endcaps) and less than 150mm height and 60mm deep, as the space is very limited.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That's actually not bad!

Best thing to do with a 2e is try to improve how it breathes, clean up the inlet ports and match the inlet manifold to it, make a new flowed exhaust manifold etc. They're understated engines and in my opinion people are too quick to change to a 4e/5e

• 1 year later...

I realized that i haven't updated the thread for quite some time...

Just about a year ago, the stock TMIC was ditched for a nice FMIC, originally i think is for some GTR.

It is of delta-fin type, "Apex-i" like core, and has cast tanks. The pipe work is all custom, stainless 47mm ID.

Didn't noticed any lag change...

IMG_20131008_221159.jpg

The engine bay looks so much better now

IMG_20140924_190038.jpg

Then the car got a Toyota C turbo, originally used on diesel engines, probably corona taxis.

The spool time remains the same, it is bolt on to stock dp and manifold and the performance is similar to the ct9 till ~0.8bar, then the C turbo steps ahead of the CT9.

Sorry no photo

Then i decided to install an old Haltech E6X ecu i had laying around, made a patch loom and used the stock sensors, except the TPS, where a colvern one was used on the stock throttle body.

I originaly run stock injection and ignition, 1.1-1.2 bar boost. I then noticed that my injectors were maxed out when on high boost, so installed a set of RX8 360cc injectors.

After a retune, the idle now is so much better than stock... I have removed all the idle up soleinoids, just running on the TB by pass for idle. No problem with electric loads etc.

Also fuel economy got better, some times getting 6.3L/100km on highway...

Then i decided that the frame needs a bit more help so i got the new ultra racing fender bars, specific for the 70 chassis.

These made a huge improvement. Feels much more rigid and NVH is significantly reduced.

IMG_20140216_121533.jpg

My final upgrade is a set of willwood dynalites on machined Corolla T-Sport discs to 265mm

Still using 14" wheels. The brakes barely fit in there.

IMG_20141004_190938.jpg

The actuall stoping power isn't improved compared to the turbo brakes with yellowstuff pads, but the pedal feeling is now much improved and that's what i was looking for.

The car is now in storage back in Greece, as i'm currently living and working in UK.

Not sure what the future will hold, but my plan is to rebuilt it over the next couple of years, add the turbo look, seam weld the chassis and keep it as a classic in my garage, ready for short spirited drives.

Edited by mech5107