Well painting is a bit of a growing passion of mine. I orginally started on my first car when I colour coded the door handles. |Come a long way since then! Just thought I'd share some of my jobs with everyone and see what everyone else has been doin :).

I'm gonna start with a bumper fill and respray that I did for my mate's mx5 over the weekend. He had attempted to do it himself previously and left holes in the bumper, covered by a clowdy paint match lol! I took all the paint down and refilled the holes, got rid of all the imperfections using filler primer and eventually finished it with a layer of clearcoat.

I did the whole respray with rattle cans bar the clearcoat which I used a compressor and spray gun as it needs to be mixed.

Pictures ;)

How it used to look after his first fill and spray attempt :p

526c4c66.jpg

Safety first when using 2 pack paints!

P1010279.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0795-1.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0821-1.jpg

And finished :p

P1010280.jpg

P1010281.jpg

P1010285.jpg

Image.jpg

Big loves :p

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's a nice job! Can it withstand jet wash?

Cheers mate :) Yep! I have no doubt at all that it will withstand jetwash and 95% of stones that'll hit it. Seal the edges propperly, use 2 pack clearcoat (a clear coat and a hardener) again making sure you're covered all the edges, bake it with some kind of make shift source lol and it should last at least a couple of years before it may need touching up ;)

Quality! And those speedlines in your sig look so deep/shiny :)

Cheers mate :p I just used normal rattle can lacquer on my rims because I didn't have the compressor lol! Could be a lot better ;). Bumper isn't even polished by the way lol. That was just after it hardening over night.

:p

Rattle can a bumper?!

Would personally never do that but the results looks alright, I paint mclarens everyday tho lol

indeed! Nothing wrong with rattle cans lol. Get one with a decent nozzle and its not going to be a lot different to a spray gun if you have a good flow to your hand. Came out spot on :).

Do you paint them or do the machines? ;) Drop us some tips! :p

Just thought I'd add another job that I've just found on my computer lol.

I used to have a fiesta that cost me £140 lol, I stripped it out and put a 1.7 puma engine in it and eventually tried to make it look better on the outside and ended up fitting a ZS kit and smoothing a bootlid off. Some pictures :)...

DSC03461.jpg

DSC03464.jpg

DSC03479.jpg

DSC03483.jpg

DSC03487.jpg

DSCF2409.jpg

DSCF2427.jpg

DSCF2458.jpg

Anyone else got any jobs? lol

• 1 year later...

You simply cannot rattle can wheels properly!!....best finish & end of , PERIOD!! is a pro spray job with a decent spray gun!!..

I should no... been painting for years!, people don't understand that paint costs, & its not only the paint..there's thinners. hardner/ barcote etc etc!!..

So for example, i painted my whole rear bumper yesterday...it cost me £100 in paint/hardner etc & I sprayed the bumper myself!!..

Prepping wheels is a complete CRAP job & takes ages...& that's what takes time...if you prepped them yourself , then yes..you'll prob save a stackload.

Those wheels are a good price..if you like tango orange!! :p:thumbsup:

Edited by Neo Gold

You simply cannot rattle can wheels properly!!....best finish & end of , PERIOD!! is a pro spray job with a decent spray gun!!..

I should no... been painting for years!, people don't understand that paint costs, & its not only the paint..there's thinners. hardner/ barcote etc etc!!..

So for example, i painted my whole rear bumper yesterday...it cost me £100 in paint/hardner etc & I sprayed the bumper myself!!..

Prepping wheels is a complete CRAP job & takes ages...& that's what takes time...if you prepped them yourself , then yes..you'll prob save a stackload.

Those wheels are a good price..if you like tango orange!! :p:thumbsup:

I've also done painting for years and have all the equipment lol. If you buy your supplies in bulk like I imagine you do having done it for years, then you should be able to spread your cost over a set of rims down to about £40 if you work it out over the long run. I painted my bumper having spent £20ish on a small pot of colour and using left over high build and 2k clear from another job.... So the bumper cost me £20ish to do lol.... A bodyshop will have gallons and gallons of primer, clear coat, hardener, thinners, panel wipe and hundreds of sheets of paper and pads for the sanders, numerous tubs of bogo and fiberglass etc etc etc. So in the long run for a bodyshop, you can probably knock off about 20% of the cost if you were going to buy your stuff in quater litres lol... Not to mention claiming back VAT.

If you spent £100 just on paint for a bumper then either go to a different paint supplier or put it on thinner lol! :p.

As for not getting a pro finish with a can I've done numerous jobs with cans and had perfect blends and colour matches etc. If the nozzle is good and its mixed properly in the can it can sometimes be a lot easier to get a better finish with a can lol. For example spraying lower parts where the air line on a gun would get in the way. Like I experience a few times when repairing sills....

I'm saying all this in jest by the way lol. Don't want an argument. But £100 in paint for a bumper is overpriced, not being able to get a decent finish with a tinnie is a lie and £300 for 4 rims to be refurbed is a bit of a bum rape :p. You can get a full respray for £800 lol.

....... awaits abusive reply haha! :p