CJ Crank Pulley Users

Hi

Just to those who have fitted this part, once fitted did your old AUX belts fit on the pulley?

I've spent hours in the cold fitting mine and the crank pulley isn't like the original one therefore the alternator/water pump pulley belt is now too short and the PS pulley belt is too long!!

Is it just me with this problem? So p*ssed off after spending hours in this garage last night and tonight, and I need the car to get somewhere tonight. I have spare brand new OEM Toyota belts and they don't fit either. I'd refit the original pulley if it didn't involve removing two engine mounts as I can't be arsed with the hassle right now. And shops are closed to go and buy new belts :rolleyes:

The joys of aftermarket parts! Would be weird if it's only my car with the problem.

Cheers

Idrees

I have the crank, power steering and alternator fitted with a stock water pump one.

The alternator needed the face of the alternator grinding down a bit to get the pulley to clear.

Power steering fitted ok.

Crank fitted ok once i got the old one off with the puller.

When fitting the belts i was tight getting the alternator one on but it did fit and tension up ok, power steering fitted fine.

Just to note i have not had the engine running yet as i'm doing some other work..

It would be good to here from James on this, I would've assumed the original samples/ design drawings were dimensionally checked against the original pulleys?

I've not tried to fit mine yet but would like to know of any issues - as others would, so I can have different belts etc if needed. :)

Quite a few lads already have them fitted and running guys. Only trouble we have had is with the cam pulleys which im picking up fdom the engineers on monday morning and will get pms out to those that have them :)

As far as cthe auxilary pulleys go they werd made from oem spec. Will dig out the tech drawings later :)

Right, the Oem main pulley has a bigger side for the PS pump and a smaller side for the alternator. The CJ pulleys are the opposite way around, hence the original belts being the wrong length. It fits fine and works perfectly well, I just needed new belts. If the other CJ pulleys (alternator, water pump, ps pump) are exactly the same size as the originals, then those using the full set of pulleys will also need new belts. If those pulleys are a slightly different size to make up for the difference then you should be able to reuse the original belts. New belts only cost me £10 so no biggy, but it was just inconvenient due to my timing.

James they can't have been to 100% Oem spec I'm sure. I could show you a picture to compare. by the way don't take this as a dig or anything, the product looks awesome to be fair. You can even see mine through the drivers side wheel :D

Quite a few lads already have them fitted and running guys. Only trouble we have had is with the cam pulleys which im picking up fdom the engineers on monday morning and will get pms out to those that have them :)

As far as cthe auxilary pulleys go they werd made from oem spec. Will dig out the tech drawings later :)

Thats not strictly true i had to grind the alternator down as the taper on your pulley is not the same as the stock one allowing it to sit onto the shaft of the alternator further. I know there are different alternators availble for the starlets but i'm not sure if the pulleys differ in any way.

One thing that i'm not sure is made that clear is there are also two types of water pump one with a pressed on pulley and one with a bolt on pulley your pulley is a bolt on one so if you have a pressed on one you need to buy a new pump.

I was happy with mine as i brought a marked set at a sale price but if i had paid full price for them and not been able to fit them myself i wouldn't be so happy....

Right, the Oem main pulley has a bigger side for the PS pump and a smaller side for the alternator. The CJ pulleys are the opposite way around, hence the original belts being the wrong length. It fits fine and works perfectly well, I just needed new belts. If the other CJ pulleys (alternator, water pump, ps pump) are exactly the same size as the originals, then those using the full set of pulleys will also need new belts. If those pulleys are a slightly different size to make up for the difference then you should be able to reuse the original belts. New belts only cost me £10 so no biggy, but it was just inconvenient due to my timing.

James they can't have been to 100% Oem spec I'm sure. I could show you a picture to compare. by the way don't take this as a dig or anything, the product looks awesome to be fair. You can even see mine through the drivers side wheel :D

iddy can you post a picture of the pulley fitted as the correct way is larger side of the alternator pulley closest to the engine and smaller side on the outside, you havent got it on the wrong way have you or am i reading it wrong as your the first person who has had issues with them.

Thats not strictly true i had to grind the alternator down as the taper on your pulley is not the same as the stock one allowing it to sit onto the shaft of the alternator further. I know there are different alternators availble for the starlets but i'm not sure if the pulleys differ in any way.

One thing that i'm not sure is made that clear is there are also two types of water pump one with a pressed on pulley and one with a bolt on pulley your pulley is a bolt on one so if you have a pressed on one you need to buy a new pump.

I was happy with mine as i brought a marked set at a sale price but if i had paid full price for them and not been able to fit them myself i wouldn't be so happy....

with the alternator simon we had them made and tried some on an alternator i had hear but like you say there are a couple if different types of alternators in the way of how they are wired in, we thought the shaft and the pulleys were all the same though, but a simple enough fix:)

also it was stated in the oriuginal thread that the waterpump pulley was for bolt on pump which is the oem version i believe, i think the press type pumps were something that was developed at a later date as a replacement part as oppose to being fitted as standard or so toyota tell me :)

also intrested in what the issue with the cam pulleys was since mine wont be fitted and running for a while yet

russleh there was a mistake in the machining on we believe 20 pulleys if you look at the back of the cam pulley where it sits close to the cam cap there should be a small resess to allow for the cam cap, some of them have already been fitted and work fine and others have benn fitted and not be able to turn as a result, im in the process of sorting out some of the ones i have left over to make sure they fit 100% and then will get them exchanged with the people that bought them if that makes sense :)

Switching the belts didn't work buddy. I must have had the wrong pulley on it then, here's the one I removed off the car.

This side is the smaller side and faces the crank:

bfc57675.jpg

On this picture, the 'key hole' is on the upper side (the smaller pulley side) - this side facing the crank

72693485.jpg

This bigger side facing away from the pulley, it's impossible to fit it with this facing the crank due to the design of it.

11df926e.jpg

Another picture of the side that faces the crank:

d7929125.jpg

If it looks like a weird pulley, maybe it had been replaced some time in the past and isn't a factory fitted Starlet one!

are you able to get a pic of the pulleys in question as i dont see any small recess on mine. I can get you a picture later on but apparently all the batteries within my household are in need of a recharge haha