Stripped the engine, more basdard problems!!

Was off work today after coming back from a stag party on the weekend, so thought i would crack on repairing my car to get it ready for japfest. I was getting excessive air/oil coming out my top breather and a scooby kinda engine note aside from this the car ran the same. But i was advised a cracked ringland was probably at fault by socks so told me to sort it asap.

So thats what i did today : I estimated it would take about 4 hours, and did it in 3:30 but i was really methodical and took my time, especially with the parts.

Here is the first video i posted in case you missed it of the symptoms

[media]http://youtu.be/87J3eKxsE_w

Just pulled the head off and checked the valves and bore

[media]http://youtu.be/g32z_Y1ZS7Q

Pulling the piston out and inspecting it for the first time

[media]http://youtu.be/Gdk4A7ryi-k

Once i took the rings off a big chunk fell off!

IMAG0090-2.jpg

What do you think i should do now in terms of repair, i dont want to spend shit loads on this engine as im building a 5e in addition to this engine, but i do need to fix it to use until the end of the track season 2012, i was wondering what people do when they do a repair on one of these faults. Do i just buy a new piston, head gasket and head bolts and put it back together, or should i also change the rings while i have them off, or should i replace all 4 pistons?

What is the recomended practice for a repair such as this, I want it to be reliable but at the same time dont want to spend an arm and a leg as ultimately the 5e will go in come end of the track season.

Another thing what the hell has caused this, my car definetly wasnt detonating, so i am a bit confused, maybe age?

Hey socks do you reckon i should repair it like james says, new piston, rings, headgasket and bolts?

How much for the piston?

I have a piston you.can have dude, go for rings headgasket and headbolta :)

Id go with james's sugestion tagman. is exactly what id do in your position. i wouldnt replace the others but saying that id probably dropem just to see how they look. nothing worse than doing the same job sevral times over.

Ai good advice, i was thinking the same, gonna pull the other 3 out anyway as the piston rings come in packs of 4 so they have to come out either way. I'll visually check them for any hairline cracks and if they are good ill pop them back in with new rings and a charitable donation of a piston :)

I suspect the problems i have been having over the past month with boost spiking due to a faulty actuator are to blame, i was seeing peaks of 1.5 bar a few times not good! probably stressed the piston ringland and popped it..

I can see why people put forged ones in now, the ringland is a really weak section of the piston as its such a thin bit of metal.

Oh well this has been a good education lesson at least for my forged build :)

Id go with james's sugestion tagman. is exactly what id do in your position. i wouldnt replace the others but saying that id probably dropem just to see how they look. nothing worse than doing the same job sevral times over.

yes its normal to get a small amount of air out of either the breather or filler cap, you shouldnt get any noticeable vapour and also no oil coming out of it either.

I only noticed there was a problem with mine because every time i opened the bonnet i noticed it had blown the cap off the breather on top of the rocker cover. I am just glad it shouldnt be to hard to fix, touch wood! Its just a bit labour intensive, so if you didnt do it your self you would be looking at quite an expensive repair bill!

Ah fuck the sage continues, i dropped the other 3 pistons out today and i have found another ringland fucked on number 2. So thats two screwed pistons.

And although the ringland hasnt scored the barrel, i have found an unrelated problem with the bore, its worn really werid on the top quarter of the cylinder and it has a made a 360 degree ridge which you can catch your finger nail on, its hardly anything but it now HAS to be honed to get rid of it, what the hell has caused that, take a look.

Another fooked piston

IMAG0095-2.jpg

The bore has worn really weird on no.2,

IMAG0092-2.jpg

IMAG0093-2.jpg

IMAG0094-2.jpg

any ideas, it goes all around the entire piston and its slightly ridged.

`yea that comes for age. basically the rings are a kind of spring steel. they are putting constant pressure on the wall of the cylinder causing the wear. usually if its only at the top you can use a tool called a ridge reamer. that should square the bore back up. a rebore is probably the only way forward with this if you want it to last.

why not use this excuse to get the 5e built up and just slap that in :thumbsup:

i am trying to come up with a plan now on what to do, i have got my 5e in bits ready for the conversion if i want to take the plunge and buy all the parts, or i can get this one rebored and stick it back together.

It depends if i can get all the parts cheap enough, i dont think i pull a grand out from no where that easy :) and ontop of that i have a track day looming end of april!

Taggy... Give the bores a hone and get james pistons in there...

You just need it to run for this season. If it fails again it fails.... Its not cost u very much, bar labour...

If it goes pop, just try get the 5e in it!

Sucks mate and aaddzz123 & kidV both did the exact same thing! adam did his on a ct9!

THere is no warning, it will just fail one day, shit really! Gotta remember tho, these engines are like 14years old at least! So unless rebuilt NON are minters!

Nice one socks, thats what i needed to hear, i have been going mad for the last couple of hours wondering what way to go lol and weejohn is right with the costs spiraling to get it all done with oversize pistons.

It only needs to last the summer so i have time to build up the 5e while i am using it,

Ok BACK ON TRACK!! lol

a good hone and then james pistons in! lets go :)

Out of curisoity has anyone had their block honed while in the car?

Taggy... Give the bores a hone and get james pistons in there...

You just need it to run for this season. If it fails again it fails.... Its not cost u very much, bar labour...

If it goes pop, just try get the 5e in it!

Sucks mate and aaddzz123 & kidV both did the exact same thing! adam did his on a ct9!

THere is no warning, it will just fail one day, shit really! Gotta remember tho, these engines are like 14years old at least! So unless rebuilt NON are minters!