Irritating steering knock

Right, for a while I've had quite an irritating knock from the steering if wobblin the wheel from left to

Right, also when turning left onto then entrance of my street there is a

Raised strip of Tarmac in the road, when I hit that whilst turning left I can feel a slight jarring through the wheel which I assume is the same problem.

I have changed the track road ends and the track rod drumstick things

If someone rocks the wheel while I look about in the engine bay I can hear the noise which seems to be from Both sides, I can't see anything having play but if I hold the rubber boots whilst doing it it doesn't feel like the play is directly there but I can feel that it is there somewhere f that makes sense?

Any help would be appreciated

I had a similar problem once befor and it took me ages to work out!! i changed everything just like you have track rod ends ect..Anyway i eventually found the problem! It was a lose bolt at the bottom of the steering column its like a collar thing maybe you might have the same problem? could be worth a look anyway

Also another thing it could be the CV's

Edited by micky boy

I had a similar problem once befor and it took me ages to work out!! i changed everything just like you have track rod ends ect..Anyway i eventually found the problem! It was a lose bolt at the bottom of the steering column its like a collar thing maybe you might have the same problem? could be worth a look anyway

Also another thing it could be the CV's

Ah I see, is this on the inside? Don't suppose you could show me a pic?

by the way I've also changed drop links and put brand new coilovers as well which hasn't fixed it

As for cv's people, it's not making the noise like click click click on full lock, surely it would if that was the problem?

What I meant by that corner that makes the jarring is because it's round a corner im like maybe half a turn to the left, down a hill and over a

Bump in the road, that combined movement

Seems

To cause like a jarring or knock feeling in the steering, kinda like a drop link or balljoint

Type knock but can be felt through the steering, it's not like the cv joint click.

Amjad, is it the type of noise I'm

Describing and is it full lock or what?

Dunno it's like a consistent knocking when turning left only, going over small bumps whilst turning eg getting onto driveway, there's a kind of clunk as if something is loose!

Checked your power steering fluid?

John

Yep, on the cold line when it's cold and on the hot line when it's been run :/

Dunno it's like a consistent knocking when turning left only, going over small bumps whilst turning eg getting onto driveway, there's a kind of clunk as if something is loose!

Yeah, sounds similar to mine, not a constant click like cv joints, can you feel yours through the steering when it happens?

Have you jacked it up and got some one to wobble the wheel while you look in behind to see where the play is coming from? Checked your ball joints? Springs? Top mounts? Get yourself a pry bar and get the wheel off give everything a good shake pull and pry lol you should find it that way.

I've looked at the rack from above whilst someone is wobbling

I've changed springs to coilovers mate, brand new Meisters with new top mounts, haven't changed the ball joints but they werent split, I could change them but I can't see that causing ye knock and play feel in the steering wheel when wobbled left and right?

Never noticed youd mentioned coilovers. And the rubber on the ball joint is just to keep the grease in there. What you want to be doing is jacking the front end up and grabbing the sides of the wheel and move it left and right feeling for any play then try up and down. You can check the ball joint for play by sticking a pry bar or sumthing in there and seeing if there is any movement. Also check your steering rack is actually bolted to the chassis properly it might have been off at some point in its life time and has come a little loose in its mounts.

I just put Meisters in too! lol

Haha, mine was doing it before tho wbu?

Never noticed youd mentioned coilovers. And the rubber on the ball joint is just to keep the grease in there. What you want to be doing is jacking the front end up and grabbing the sides of the wheel and move it left and right feeling for any play then try up and down. You can check the ball joint for play by sticking a pry bar or sumthing in there and seeing if there is any movement. Also check your steering rack is actually bolted to the chassis properly it might have been off at some point in its life time and has come a little loose in its mounts.

Ah I see, yeah of you wobble the wheels left and right you can feel the play just before the wheels turn, that's what made me

And my mechanic thing it was the track rod drumstick things, but clearly not

As for the ball joints, where am

I

Prying and in what direction lol?

Grant had a look at the car today. It's knocking on left turns at about 30mph, we think the wishbone may be bent putting stress on the shaft hence the knocking. Further proof of this may include the fast that the alignment guy had to adjust max negative camber at the top mount to get it to only -1.2

I don't think it happened before but I think its only manifested now because the car is so low now

If your pry bar is long stick it over the top of the wishbone and under the chassis leg and push down the way checking for movement. Ill try n find a guide or a vid on youtube for checking them so you can get a better idea its hard to explain lol.

Lol is this an elusive common problem then haha

Nah i just mean a video on how to check all your suspension n steering for play. Its mainly just a matter of trying to move things that shudnt move. This video should give you a rough idea from about 5 min onwards. Let me know how you get on bud.

Mine just does 1 solid knock when braking under certain conditions, and then again when you give it some. Thought it was an engine mount, poly bushed them all and it still does it lol