Normal Unleaded, with Octane Booster?

Been running my V on V-Power since i have got it, but used to run my old N/A on the fuel i get from work (Scrapyard) The fuel gets sucked from the cars, but some of the cars have been sat for a while, so is the fuel gonna be knackered? It gets filtered twice so theres no worries of shit coming out into the tank.

However obviously japanese fuel is higher octane than ours anyway, so even on v-power its pulling the timing back is it not?

will Running this fuel in my car with a shot of octane booster cause any harm?

I get the fuel for about 65pence a litre, so its a bit good to miss really!

And also instead of octane booster, can i not add acetone instead or something else?

Thanks

The fuel will be ok to use, but its knock properties will be a lot less than what it will be if you buy from the pumps. Saying that fuel is still classified as "old" by the time it gets to the pumps anyway!

Octane boosters are a waste of time and money, been proven not to work and infact more likely to decrease horsepower/put your engine in danger.

I looked into using acetone before as it is easily available and cheap, but it doesn't quite offer the same heat energy output as the likes of petrol, methanol, meth etc.

Yeh thats what i was thinking, when the cars on boost will it be running badly and possibly cause damage?

And i thought octane boosters where okay to use on turbo cars? As it surely raises the octane levels?

And what about methanol then? Could i add that?

Octane boosters don't work, been proven. If it was me I would run the fuel but get it checked on a wideband, you can never be too sure if it's lost its properties so could be running lean, could be causing knock. The amount your saving per litre, it's worth spending £40 to get it checked on a wideband and a set of det cans.

You can run it on whatever fuel you want, thats the great thing with EFI, the knock sensor does all the hard work! I've run a glanza before on 95, and boosted it and never had a problem what so ever.

I wouldnt risk it mate, N/A yeah but the FTE loves eating ringlands If the conditions arent right...each fuel batch you put in will be different

Octane boosters are a waste

Fill up with v and be done with itl

Yeh thanks lads, the point im trying to get to is the fuel can be a little different, its coming out of a huge tank, most of the cars are modern so the petrol is only a few months old, but now and again the cars could have stood for ages. The fuel always looks mega clean, but obviously you cant tell by eye.

I am currently running it on a tankfull, with a shot of octane booster my dad had and its running fine, cant hear pinking, it boosts well, cant feel any difference?

Is there no way off boosting the octane level of the fuel safely?

I honestly wouldn't worry about the octane level if I was you. I would use it without octane booster. The climate conditions are different in Japan anyways, so burn rate etc is affected by the humidity of the intake air, temperature of it etc. petrol companies change the amount of additives they use all the time depending on temperatures etc, so fuel in winter has different amounts of additives as summer fuel, but it shouldnt affect anything as long as its filtered and agitated (which filtering it will do anyways) it will be fine. I would use it, I always run my car on 95, but that's just me.

As above. I wouldn't worry too much. The knock sensor is there to protect your engine so it will adjust the fuelling accordingly. As funny onion said the fuel changes from country to country. For instance the USA has poor quality fuel, for them 95 Ron is super unleaded.

Also octane boosters are pants. You may has well put meth straight in your tank mixed to 10% with your fuel.

Thanks guys, so far its been running bang on, there is no noticeable difference to how it drives! As long as it doesnt damage my engine when its getting daily driven i will use it. Think whenever i go to a track day or for a proper blast out i will fill it with v-power.

And just straight meth dude? Will this raise the octane a decent amount?

Id just stick with V-power you get what you pay for :) also you never know what shit in that fuel at the scrappy it only takes abit of shit to get into your pump then thats fucked along with shitty injectors..I've found whern runnig 95 octane the car smells revy carbony too

A couple of my friends have used methanol in their tanks. Obviously mixed with the fuel. I.e 35 litres of fuel use 3.5l of meth. Gives u a 10% mix.

They have used it in their 200sx's and skylines.

All standard as far as I'm aware. And the engines seemed to run better. Idle was better, it also acts like a cleaner for the engine. Be warned though if its too strong mix it will eat the oil seals in your engine.

i understand what your saying micky, but its like a pound a litre less, its filtered twice, comes out Mega clean, so the only real downside is that its normal octane fuel. Or the fact that the octanes lower could damage it, but like flaminsam said, surely the ecu should adjust for it?

And your saying a 10% mix would be ideal then? To raise the octane of the fuel?

Still debating whether its a good idea:/

Yea the knock sensor should adjust the fuelling in conjunction with the lambda, map and inlet temp sensor.

I believe the meth slows the burn rate like high octane fuel. It also prevents det.

A couple of my friends have used methanol in their tanks. Obviously mixed with the fuel. I.e 35 litres of fuel use 3.5l of meth. Gives u a 10% mix.

They have used it in their 200sx's and skylines.

They would obviously had good engine management and mapped for the meth.

I don't think a 10% mix would be far off 99Ron at the pumps. also as said above the ecu will correct the fuelling to a certain degree. For instance how does your car know how to change the fuelling in colder climates? What about higher altitudes? Its the same as changing the fuel ron.

As above^^^

Running any sort of meth mixture is a completely different ball game to running petrol.

As Sam said, near enough the entire fuel system has to be changed if you plan on running it for a lengthy period of time, the stock fuel lines can't take it, fpr, etc.

You won't notice any real difference unless the car is mapped for it, running meth changes the air/fuel ratio regardless of what mixture you run, you could end up causing more damage than good. There's a hell of a lot more to know about fuel than just the octane rating! ;) Infact octane rating means shit, the MON rating is more important! When buying race fuels look at the MON rating ;)

Edited by AdamB