So ive got a TD04 and Toyosports mani and decat on the way.

What can i do to make it spool quicker?

Ive heard that wrapping the full exhaust helps, i have an airfilter relocation and HKS full exhaust.

I would also like to know.

Probably a kinda gay question, but the flutter was MUCH louder on my ct9 turbo than my td04 is now, i duno if its down to the quick spooling times with the smaller ct9 or down to the boost, only running about 0.6 on the td04, which i expect will change the noise if i turned the boost up?

More boost more flutter. its a bigger turbo so .6 bar is like blowing down a cave, its not realy doing much to push the turbo. also flutter is gay!! It kills turbos fact! Its called compressor surge and its air backing up against the turbo and even more comicaly makes the car more laggy!!

My td04 wasn't bad at all and had full boost by 3800 iirc and was at 0.6 by like 2800/3000 at worse.

Few ways you could reduce lag ....

- Good boost controller and good map.

- Headwork

- Nitrous

- Compound charging

Flutter ain't as bad as people make out IMO, never had a problem personally and i know a tuner who never uses DVs without a single problem.

Edited by Driver

Lol futter isnt good full stop. if it was ok why would manufacturers waste mony on producing recirc valves?? Next you will be saying anti lag isnt bad for turbos either.

Lol futter isnt good full stop. if it was ok why would manufacturers waste mony on producing recirc valves?? Next you will be saying anti lag isnt bad for turbos either.

I understand how it works etc and how it affects the turbo, all I'm saying is i never had any issue, nor do any of my mates running £1k plus Precision turbos on 500hp+ Hondas ... including a mate who has run one at 550+ for ages now without a single problem. Anti-lag on the other hand, i think we all know that kills turbos haha.

Run with out a dv then with i gaurentee you you see quicker spool. I've tried plenty of turbo setups and combos over the years and flutter slows down turbo respones. your mapper may do well using gas to help spool and head work and all that but even after all that if you add a dv you will still see improvements. removing the compressed air from the run and mainly from befor the tb aids response.

Dv's do work but are gay, look at 98% of turbod drift cars they all run with out Dv's ive ran my ct9 with no Dv and it was fine for a year then the seals packed up lol that was more down to it being the original turbo that had done over 100k !

A lot of my mates are big ford boys running big power and very rarely do I see them use dv's just full on chatter when I was ct9 I had a hks dv then took it off and had chatter and didn't notice any difference in spool time and now td04 at a bar and I hit boost at 3800 rpm everytime no dv I think it's more down to the personal preference of each person and what they want hear

Recirc valves are stock items and a DV is an aftermarket product, both do the same thing. If they didn't have any use companies wouldn't spend millions in R&D configuring these products. They are there to do a job. They don't help spool, they help with throttle response once getting back on the throttle after being off it.

Smaller turbos have no problem with compressor stall. Big turbos have, but must of them have anti surge.

A turbo without anti surge loses RPM without DV. A turbo with anti surge doesn't loses RPM without DV.

Very big turbo doesn't loses RPM without DV, with or without anti surge. Its simply to big.

Setting the ECU to flatshift, DV is not needed at all...

Im also looking into getting the td04 to spool quicker

Ive got a friend helping me with it who does motorsport mechanics and he asked me if i had looked into water injection has anyone done this?

Water injection won't decrease lag/spool time, it will just improve the efficiency of the turbo by reducing the air temperature.

Plus the water injection would have to be added before the compressor.

If you have the money, a billet comp wheel as its lighter. Or nitrous Or a bigger engine.

Edited by AdamB

Nice mate you got any pics? Most people don't want to spend the money making a hybrid, but it is worth going for.

Unfortunately I haven't got any pics, by the time I'd thought about getting some it had already been bolted to my forged engine. The turbo's proving to be very responsive even off boost as I'm still running the engine in which as a slightly lower then standard CR.