Reptile Thread

My sister recently got a Hermanns Tortoise, its only 7 months old, seriously small and reallllly cute. hes only about an inch and a half long. He can be pretty boring though, seems to sleep 24/7 unless hes being bathed and then he'll stay up for a while and eat then go back to sleep yet again!

2rfrgjn.jpg

20rld7r.jpg

i really want a chameleon though. need to research it all first though. and they arent cheap! was in this shop the other day (where my sister got her tortoise) and they had a tiny chameleon in and it made me want one so much more. esp now they have all these -

http://shop.strictly...dex&cPath=80_90

edit - no idea why the 2nd pic is upside down :S its the right way up before being uploaded

Edited by scottyb
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye lizards aint too cheap beardies are possibly the cheapest to buy but then you pay for it by feeding them my 2 can eat £50 worth of insects a month easily then theres the viv and lighting it all adds up there worth it though so entertaining and non stop. Where in fife are u from? Seen a few V's in my time in Kirkcaldy.

Chameleons are quite expensive to start of with because when they get to a certain size you have to get a big tank Mine cost £250, but they are great to have. What kind of chameleon are ya thinking of getting?

My Chameleon setup cost me probably near enough £700, I brought the largest size viv and just made a bench to make it smaller, then I can easily increase the size just by cutting the legs down on the bench.

Im from cupar stu, not really in kirkcaldy that much, mainly st andrews and dundee area as i work in st a.

Not very sure what cham id want, probably a veiled/yemen or a panther. The jacksons dont take my fancy that much. Not got a huge amount of room in my bed room so dont know if id have the space for one. Will look into it more though. Keep thinking about a tortoise as well but my sister already has one so seems a bit pointless lol.

Geckos are pretty easy to keep when you have not alot of space u can buy terrariums i think it is and there not a whole lot bigger than a fish tank since most geckos are pretty tiny lol but there still majorly cool :thumbsup:

They are mad, should hear them croak at night. There are two whites tree frogs and a white lipped, hopefully building a new home soon for them so can add more.

Some sweet lizards and cameleons on here

Im from cupar stu, not really in kirkcaldy that much, mainly st andrews and dundee area as i work in st a.

Not very sure what cham id want, probably a veiled/yemen or a panther. The jacksons dont take my fancy that much. Not got a huge amount of room in my bed room so dont know if id have the space for one. Will look into it more though. Keep thinking about a tortoise as well but my sister already has one so seems a bit pointless lol.

You should go for a male veiled chameleon! Tht was my first chameleon and they are real easy to look after:) but deffo look into it first because it will cost you a good bit of money starting up but its all worth it in the end:)

• 3 weeks later...

yeah should help to get her a bit bigger with the extra sugar, i notice Vinny doesnt like strawberry based ones so i stick to the smoother fruit like mango, apples etc.

Tried the baby food thing is the baby food you buy watery like a smoothy? The stuff i got was and i poured some in their salad dish but the big one jus sat over it with his face in it slowly licking it they didnt bother with the salad lol. I tried feeding them it from a sppon but he persisted in biting the spoon lol.

Do you get it in like a sort of moose form? I think theyd maybe prefer that lol.

Never believed I would find this kind of thread from here :lol:

So here we go, our long nosed leopard lizards, Tomu and Nano

294187_2405117563766_1125932450_32803688_1176673372_n.jpg

Nano was digging out from under the rock, but decided to take a nap.

556162_10150705770094209_687214208_9662852_246536558_n.jpg

Tomu is watching you

320499_2549143964336_1125932450_32911559_1672897910_n.jpg

If you like to see more pics of them, please check Finnish reptile forum thread http://www.herppi.net/topic/11000-leopardileguaanit-tomu-ja-nano/

• 2 months later...

Thought i'd give this thread a wee update and try and bump it in to life possibly. After a few months of my male beardie attacking the female we decided we had to split them up so bought a matchin tank and now she is much happier eating more and lookin bigger heres my set up now

20121003_180644_zpsbdf39620.jpg

He looks like an absolute beast in tht bottom tank lol.

Between me and my girlfriend we have:

7 bullsnakes, normal adult male, whitesided albino male, whitesided axanthic female, patternless normal male and 2 baby whitesided albinos

5 cornsnakes, bloodred adult female, bloodred baby, albino female, albino male and a bloodred anery female

6 hognoses, adult female, adult male, sub-adult male, subadult female and subadult albino male

1 tricolour hognose (temp in our care)

1 spider royal python

1 coastal carpet python

1 crested gecko

1 blue tongue skink

and some tarantulas and a few scorpions but that for another time ;)

Sorry for a bit off-topic here but do lizards carry salmonella? We had a few at school and was always told not to handle them.. Or maybe because the teachers were afraid of us doing stupid things with them at the age of 14 laugh.png

Never really looked into them but they do look cool, don't have the room to have anything though! :/

Yeah they do :) I've got a torty and they also carry it- all reptiles do I think :)

Yeah they do :) I've got a torty and they also carry it- all reptiles do I think :)

FALSE!

All animals CAN carry it they dont ALL carry it.

It really annoys me when people say things like that as it is misleading.

No offence to you if you just mis-typed!

FALSE!

FALSE!

FALSE!

Sorry, I meant that they are more susceptible to carrying it than other animals, not that they always have it.

Sorry, I meant that they are more susceptible to carrying it than other animals, not that they always have it.

Even that i would suspect is wrong, humans can carry it the same as anything else.

All i can say with certainty is i have never caught it from mine and i have been keeping exotics for a fair few years.

Dan - Pics or they dont exist :p lol

James get a few pics up of the beardies always good to see others. Great pets they are.

Will do when i get a chance!