Which is the best oil?

Right, I am doing a service myself and want to know which is the best Oil I can put in my EP82

Which is the best oil I can use on turbo?

Did some search on gtturbo but still not have a clear answer.

Not sure if my mods will make any differance in which oil to use but the mods are on my sig.

Thanks

yea this is soemthing id like to know too,

plan on doin a full service next weekend,

some one told me to stick to mineral oils but surely sythetic ones are better?

what viscosety should u use?

Turbo cars need different oil to N/A cars. Mainly due to the excess heat generated by the turbo. Saying that my bro uses Castrol magnatec 10w/40 in his CA18DET (T28 turbo) although he finds that at high RPM's when going flat out that his oil pressure drops drastically, this is due to the viscosity of the oil at high temps

5w-40 instead of 10w-40

5w offers better cold start and short journey protection as it's thinner than 10w and remember this is when 70+ percent of the engine wear occurs.

10w-50 instead of 10w-40 - 15w-50 instead of 15w-40

50 offers better protection than 40 when the engine is running hot so if you're doing track days or hard driving you may want to consider this option.

A word of warning about 60 grade

Modern engines do not need a 60 grade, it's really too thick and, even hot-running engines do not need SAE 60 oil these days. (by â??hotâ?? I mean 120-130C). SAE 60 is heavier than most SAE 90 gear oils. If an oil is too thick, it de-aerates slowly, leading to cavitation in the oil pump, or the bearings being fed slugs of air along with the oil.

The thickness of the oil will also have an effect on the cars performance.

Synthetic Oils instead of Mineral Oils.

It is a fact that Semi and Fully synthetic oils are better for your car, they flow better when cold and give a greater level of protection when the engine is hot.

It is a fact, not myth that complex engines such as DOHC, Turbocharged, and Supercharged when driven hard will always have a greater degree of protection from a synthetic oil.

A synthetic oil is more robust and will last longer (that's why they cost more) mineral oils need much more frequent oil changes but they are cheaper. Semi-synthetic is to some extent the "middle ground" for pennies more than a good mineral oil.

Ester Synthetic Oils against Normal Synthetic Oils

The oils that give true benefits are ester synthetics (pretty hard to come by as they are expensive to make although Silkolene still does). The reasons for their application in motorsport and the aviation sector are clear:

They assist the additive pack in a motor oil formulation because they are surface-active (electrostatically attracted to metal surfaces), so they help to reduce wear and friction.

They are fluid at very low temperatures and at high temperatures they are very chemically stable and have low volatility (donâ??t evaporate away).

They also help to prevent hardening and cracking of oil seals at high temperatures.

It should be said that there are three types of synthetic oils on the market and they vary in quality and price the lowest being MC/HC (Molecularly Converted/Hydrocracked) mineral oil, POA's Poly Alpha Olefins and Esters.

So, there you have it, some advantages and disadvantages to consider, I'm here to give advice so please feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer you.

As many of you will be aware, I sell the likes of Mobil 1 15w-50 Motorsport, Castrol RS 10w-60 and the Silkolene PRO S and PRO R Ester Range so I have plenty of oils to choose from. At the end of the day, I will tell you truthfully what I think are the best but you must use what you are comfortable with.

Thanks to Oilman who seems to be on every forum in the UK providing good oil info!

Thanks mate.

Got a mail from oilman and he said I should use a good quality 5-40.

I thought it would be best to use 10-50 as this will offer better protection when the oil is hot. But I guess I should listen to oilman.

anyone agree?

There's a new oil just been released which is supposed to be pretty damn good, it's in the news section of this months Japanese performance car mag if anyone has a copy to hand, apparently it's worth 1 second off your 0-100 time...

Used to love Catrol R in my old mini, performance and aromatherapy at the same time, luuurvely!

There's a new oil just been released which is supposed to be pretty damn good, it's in the news section of this months Japanese performance car mag if anyone has a copy to hand, apparently it's worth 1 second off your 0-100 time...

Used to love Catrol R in my old mini, performance and aromatherapy at the same time, luuurvely!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forgot about this, but here we go: The stuff is called Castrol Edge, it comes in 5w-40 and 10w-60 types, GT-Culture tested it against a semi-synthetic in a 0-100 simulated bench test and it was a second quicker...sounds good!

i noticed in my GT in all the japanese writing on the inside of the bonnet on the stickers it occasionally had 10w-30.

this suggests to me what toyota reccomends for a starlet turbo in japan, so its a good basis on what to put in here.

i'm not sure how thin the cold start oil can be without having it leak and get everywhere, personally i wouldnt go under 5w. and top no more then 50.

I've just done mine using semi synthetic castrol rs 10w-40 and it seems to be fine so far. not sure what i had in there before as toyota put it in.

another note: you only need 2-3ltrs max for the starlet. i completely overestimated and bought 8ltrs :D but i got quite a bit spare now which will give me more reason to do frequent changes.

oil filter you need to use a oil filter removal tool and basically get it on there as much as possible - good luck with it, it's a nightmare. dead easy to get back on though, just align and tighten by hand (tip: dap your finger in oil and rub it around the rim of the filter before putting it on, this gives a better seal to hold it on).

all halfords stock them, so theyre dead easy to find, its just that theres a few different designs. i always use a draper oil filter wrench, but i dont know how much space you have in the glanza.

Rich.

• 10 months later...

the filter is fun, especially if it isnt an OEM toyota filter, and if it hasnt been off in a while..

my mate with the proper tool took 2 hours to get the cunt off, hammering a screwdriver through it wouldnt even work, with the air con still in its an absolute NIGHTMARE of a job. good luck to you!! ;)

i used valvoline durabled 10w-40 oil, its what my mate uses in all his cars as well as his stockrod race cars and drag cars, so thats good enough for me!

• 2 weeks later...
Turbo cars need different oil to N/A cars. Mainly due to the excess heat generated by the turbo. Saying that my bro uses Castrol magnatec 10w/40 in his CA18DET (T28 turbo) although he finds that at high RPM's when going flat out that his oil pressure drops drastically, this is due to the viscosity of the oil at high temps

Thanks to Oilman who seems to be on every forum in the UK providing good oil info!

alright bud just a quick question checked my car needed oil and fast so just stuck in castrol gtx magnatec :p dicovered there was white smoke comin from the tailpipe and spraying trickles of oil on the ground then my brother told me i should be runnin fully synthetic so i drained the oil and replaced it with 5w-40 fully synthetic didn't change the oil filter. I no i should have but with me runnin that oil before is this going to damage my turbo, seems to be ok but need some re-assurance.

• 6 months later...
Forgot about this, but here we go: The stuff is called Castrol Edge, it comes in 5w-40 and 10w-60 types, GT-Culture tested it against a semi-synthetic in a 0-100 simulated bench test and it was a second quicker...sounds good!

I am going to do an oil change on my EP82 quite soon and want to try this stuff out.... popped to halfords and there is Castrol Edge 5W40 and Castrol Edge Sport 0W40. Whats the diff (the back of the bottles doesnt help)???

Or does anyone think that another oil would be better in some way???

Also, does anyone know somewhere (online preferably, or in cambridge area) where i can get the oil for a reasonable price instead of £43 for 4 litres

Cheers