What power can 4wd ep85/ep95 running gear handle?

As above lads. Looking for a few opinions on what bhp and torque yous think the diffs etc on 4wd starlets could handle. Was thinking of a big revamp on the Glanza with an ep95 shell but want to know roughly what power I could run with the 4wd gear.

Thanks in advance,

Conor.

I think I have an ep95 lined up. It's red. I have a full JAM kit here including bonnet so might strip it, fit the kit, paint it and swap all the gear from my 383bhp Glanza into it. I know WeeJohn and them up in Northern Ireland are running good power on 4wd set ups but do you think it would hold 450-500bhp on a big turbo set up with nos?

The drive system is very solid looking tbh! If a fwd will take 400-500 i cant see why the 4wd wont. in true jdm fasioned its well over engineered for what it needed to do and scoobys have thinner drive parts than parts of the *5 system haha

Edited by shorty

It's not so much the power, its the torque thats the problem.

Most *5's I've seen run the 4E engine which as we know doesn't put out as much torque as a 5E.

Have a guess and say about 350-370ft/lbs, seems stock glanza boxes strip gears a little lower than this torque. As shorty said its the viscous coupling thats the problem, maybe try and get a billet one made?

I'm sure TRD used to make *5 LSD diffs, but trying to find one would really be like finding rocking horse shit.

There is NO lsd available for *5's as adam said there has been mention of trd making one once bit no one has got hold of one and as grant said phantom grip will make a custon locking unit wich replicates the effect of the lsd but is a tad touch and go as to how well or long it would last. Bean on here runs a 5e in his 4paw. but as I've said its the viscous that id be more worried about than anyother part.

Azz send me a link for the company as us 4paw lads have searched long and hard for lsd's and dried up all possable options so please enlighten us to the wonders of this company who make an lsd of the shelf for them.

EDIT: just check this facebook company out, they can get hold of trd diffs for rwd starlets, thats no use on the 4wd's.

Edited by shorty

Enzo said he was gonna put in the st205 running gear, pretty sure it would be superior over ep*5 running gear, as there are some very high powered celicas running standard drivetrain.

How much power/torque does a standard ep*5 come with, model dependant, surely the components couldn't last long pushing 400 bhp.

My friend with his 4wd subaru justy turbo removed the viscous coupling put a solid bar in its place then welded the rear diff up as it wasnt strong enough to handle the power he was going to put through it, which is about 265hp,

the viscous coupling only aloud a very limited amount of power/torque to be applied to the rear wheels saving the rear diff from destroying itself

The drive sustem os thicker than a justy from what i can tell. ill get under mine later and snap some pics next to a spanner or something so u can see a rough sizing. Mine was an s modle and stock was 100hp so running 3/4times oem power is no different to running it on a v or gt running 3/4 times oem power. im aiming for 300-350 and im changing nothing on the drive system. gaz's old 85 ran an easy 350 at a guess and he didnt blow his up! The benifit of the celica 4wd swap is you can run a 3sgte engine and box and then run 500-600hp as apose to the limits of the 4e/5e.

I know theres a few who have run nuts power on a 4e/5e but with a 3sgte lump its alot less strain and work to hit that level of tune. the main point is that i dont think you are going to blow system up on a 4wd running just shy of 400. The best bet dude is get enzo's input as he is the most clued on this. fire a pm at him and get his opinions on the max capability of the 4wd running gear. keep us updated with what he says though as it would be good to find the actual limits of the 4wd tbh.

Plus with reguards to animal gt did he ever post any proof of his output? I know it was high but he was very secretive of spec and output im asking just out of curiosity as its not that relevant because he was fwd lol

Edited by shorty