4efe - Swapping standard ECUs

We're running a stock 4EFE with standard ECU, I bought another 4EFE ECU to carry out the rev limiting mod described here

When I tried to test the ECU I bought before making the mod (by plugging it into the car), I get an intermittent flash of the engine warning light on the dash and the car refuses to start.

Have tried disconnecting the battery before hooking up the new ECU but that doesnt affect anything.

The new unit is visually identical to the original, but some of the long model numbers are subtley different - the new ECU is definitely marked as a 4EFE though.

Am I missing some procedure to get the car to allow the new ECU or do I have a more fundamental fault?

I think if you bridge the dianostics port in the engine bay you can find out what code the ecu is flashing up.

Might help to finding the issue ;)

As in there may be a legacy error from the previous car it was installed in? How do you clear fault codes if thats the case?

you shouldnt do, I've got a completely different engined ecu in my car and it never had a problem unless i didnt have a key with the original chip in it that came with the car.

might be a silly question, not sure if it would even fit, but the ecu you brought isnt for an auto is it?

• 2 years later...

I can say from this weeks experience, that if you have a 3rd generation 4E-FE from a Corolla G6 the ECU has a built in immobiliser that can not be bypassed. If you want this engine and ECU you will need the ECU, Immobiliser Computer and Key Transponder all from the same vehicle. The wiring to the door unlock switch and courtesy light switch are not needed.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but it may help a future viewer researching the issue.

KP