Afew questions before going to view my first Glanza V....

Hi all.

Today I sold my EK3 civic to a lad down South. Very sad to see it go but I was running out of ideas and didn't want to through more money at it and do a B series swap, so got rid whilst I could.

IMG_0492.jpg

I've always had a keen eye for Glanzas and am about 90% sure that's what I want next.

Couple of questions though...

Apart from exterior appearance, what's the difference between the prefacelift and facelift models?

Crucial things to look out for when going to check one over? I'm guessing arch rust etc but anything else?

How fun are the cars running stock turbo and boost? Is the TD04 or similar swap essential, or is it something you can add to the list down the line?

Sorry if this has been asked prior (couldn't find a post) and I know I probably could have googled this, but I'd prefer your answers.

Nice swan.

Edited by RyanP

hey mate welcome along. seatings and a few interior features are different between the 96 spec and 98 spec aswell but there isnt massive differences realy.

biggest issue with these cars is people bullshitting abouts mods done to them and or bhp there running. if its advertised online bang up a link and people on here can have a look at it and see if theres anything that doesnt sound right.

cars running stock turbo and stock boost are just fine for that purpose on the stock turbo you can easily push 200bhp with supporting mods, td04 and other such turbo upgrades are only realy needed for those after a good 200+. either way alot of the ct9 mods carrie over the the td04 turbo. like uprated fuel pump, ht leads, front mount's ,plug and play ecus. exhausts. the only real difference is the manifold and decat

any questions at all just post up theres always someone that has the answer but if your going to look at one i would certainly post it on here first if u get a chance alot of people do bullshit nicely on there adverts and alot of the cars are known by members on here and can tell you if they have a good rep or not

I believe there are a few interior trim and seat differences between '96 and '98 spec Vs

Check oil cap, dipstick, reservoir for foam/mayo.

Have a look for oil leaks/weeps.

Excessive smoke or blue smoke.

Front end/boot floor damage.

Make sure it doesn't have a fuel cut defender without an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I got bored at stock boost quite quickly but at the limit of the stock ECU, higher boost at just under 0.8bar is a lot more fun. A few little mods will make a nice difference but I'd also think about chassis and brake parts. 1bar on a CT9 is quick but TD04 I find a lot more entertaining.

hey mate welcome along. seatings and a few interior features are different between the 96 spec and 98 spec aswell but there isnt massive differences realy.

biggest issue with these cars is people bullshitting abouts mods done to them and or bhp there running. if its advertised online bang up a link and people on here can have a look at it and see if theres anything that doesnt sound right.

cars running stock turbo and stock boost are just fine for that purpose on the stock turbo you can easily push 200bhp with supporting mods, td04 and other such turbo upgrades are only realy needed for those after a good 200+. either way alot of the ct9 mods carrie over the the td04 turbo. like uprated fuel pump, ht leads, front mount's ,plug and play ecus. exhausts. the only real difference is the manifold and decat

any questions at all just post up theres always someone that has the answer but if your going to look at one i would certainly post it on here first if u get a chance alot of people do bullshit nicely on there adverts and alot of the cars are known by members on here and can tell you if they have a good rep or not

Thanks for the lengthy reply, appreciate it! To tell you truth, I've always felt much more at ease buying a standard car and modding it exactly to my taste. I'm definitely oing to go facelift, just because I didn't with the EK and it always pissed me off a little. The best one I have found personally so far can be found here...
/>http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212094562377/sort/default/usedcars/model/starlet_glanza_v/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/wa53ht/quicksearch/true/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

I would certainly go down the TD04 route then at some point, but could see myself happy with 200bhp on standard turbo for the time being.

If you could give me your opinion on the above link, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

I believe there are a few interior trim and seat differences between '96 and '98 spec Vs

Check oil cap, dipstick, reservoir for foam/mayo.

Have a look for oil leaks/weeps.

Excessive smoke or blue smoke.

Front end/boot floor damage.

Make sure it doesn't have a fuel cut defender without an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I got bored at stock boost quite quickly but at the limit of the stock ECU, higher boost at just under 0.8bar is a lot more fun. A few little mods will make a nice difference but I'd also think about chassis and brake parts. 1bar on a CT9 is quick but TD04 I find a lot more entertaining.

Great to know, thanks for the advice. The final point about the fuel cut defender, would that come standard or is that something that may have been fitted to the car and shouldn't have?

does look very clean its quite highly priced but since its from a dealer i guess thats to be expected..

the fuel cut defender (FCD) is an aftermarket iteam you can buy to run higher than standard boost with out hitting fuel cut. due to the standard manifold being very restrictive running higher boost levels has a danger of melting a piston. so if u see someone claiming its running a fcd at like 1 bar boost and the stock manifold id just walk away.

buying a standard one and modding it urself is the best way but of course it is the most expensive aswell however it has alot of positives aswell.

Check exhaust manifold were bolts to head for signs of cracks,glanza 4efte engines prone for this fault.

Usual checks,mileage ,service history(if any),seat wear and tear & steering wheel for signs of mileage,sill damage,rust etc.Signs of smoke when running.

Check exhaust manifold were bolts to head for signs of cracks,glanza 4efte engines prone for this fault.

Usual checks,mileage ,service history(if any),seat wear and tear & steering wheel for signs of mileage,sill damage,rust etc.Signs of smoke when running.

Will do, thanks!

Also, what size are the standard front and rear brakes on the Glanza? Do the majority of people just uprate disks and pads or go for a bigger brake setup in general?

Also, what size are the standard front and rear brakes on the Glanza? Do the majority of people just uprate disks and pads or go for a bigger brake setup in general?

not sure exact size of them but most people just get uprated pads and possible grooved disks for the front the rear doesnt do much breaking. stock breaks work fine up to like 200bhp. i was running just over 220 and due to it all being windy country roads. i decided to go for a bigger wms break set up which can be seen here. http://www.ukstarlet...showtopic=28281 . there are plenty of things u can do to the stock breaks to help tho as mentioned uprated disks and pads. fresh fluid, brake master cylinder stopper. braided brake lines. that would probaly see you fine unless the power bug realy bites.

Edited by _shaun_

Looks tidy, even got a turbo timer from the pics, it's still on the standard set up exhaust wise and if a fresh import so has not been messed with by someone in the UK by the looks of the add

John

Edited by ro55ifumi

Differences between the pre face lift and facelift are:

Different front bumpers

Different rear lights

Clear front indicators

Clear rear brake light in spoiler

Red needles on the instrument cluster

Different carpet

Different headlining

Different seats and the rear seats are split folding

All the facelifts had passenger air bag

Facelits had the hi/low turbo button near the electric window switch it's on the center consol on the 96-97

Differences between the pre face lift and facelift are:

Different front bumpers

Different rear lights

Clear front indicators

Clear rear brake light in spoiler

Red needles on the instrument cluster

Different carpet

Different headlining

Different seats and the rear seats are split folding

All the facelifts had passenger air bag

Facelits had the hi/low turbo button near the electric window switch it's on the center consol on the 96-97

And the wing mirrors are different

People always miss the wing mirrors

The interior sunvisors both have mirrors on a 98 spec as well, iirc the 96spec only one of them has a mirror. Think it also has a different steering wheel.

That one you posted looks awesome, very clean. Also has the optional front splitter. It also has the mounting bracket for the optional armrest as well but the armrest is missing, id check with the dealer to see if they have the armrest there but just not fitted.

It also has cupholders :D