help me decide!

well as some of you may know i took my car off the road to build my perfect glanza. the plans were the only tom's kitted godzilla'd 5e ep91 running a dta s60pro aiming to be 350+bhp but also have the bodywork in such a state it could park aside people like corey's iddys and socks cars and still hold its own at shows.

having moved into a house with a garage so i could build the beast i started getting parts i currently have all the parts for a forged 5e and a dta ecu along with almost all the bodywork panels needed. the more in detail i looked the more expensive the shopping list got and i know ill be tight to get it done before the 2013 season had ended. then i spoted a 4paw and had to buy it which throws the chance of me getting the car done in 2013 even more in doubt.

now since taking the car off the road the idea of doing the bodywork first has been annoying me it would make the build faster and easier but i risk damaging the paint when am building the car and getting alot of custom work done.

while thinking about it a new idea came to mind and that is when the 4paw arrives leave it in totaly stock trim and focus all my attention and money at getting the engine/turbo/ecu set up in the 95 as a sorta sleeper i supose you could say for the up coming season then take it back off the road next winter and tackle the bodywork. the downside to this is i no for a fact it will annoy me driving around in a totaly stock looking car when i have all the aftermarket parts sitting in the garage. will also take me awhile longer to get the car how i want it cause for like 6 months ill be paying for the insurance/road tax/petrol/tyres/mot/show costs.

but on the flip side it will mean instead of a year+ with no starlet ill only be looking at a few months which should keep me motivated and it will give me plenty of time to get know the power of the car along with being able to get used to the power of the car and what could be changed before it goes back away for the winter to be brought up to exactly what i want.

was just typing away and when i was done i noticed i had just been babbling on for quite awhile :p

anyone have any input?

cheers shaun

Well thats quite a situation, personally i'd go for body work first, have it looking awesome. Painted, kitted, handling, brakes etc. And run about in it like that for a while on the stock N/A engine. Then once you have had a wee bit fun, take it offroad for the 5e turbo swap.

Personal preference mind, is there really a rush to rip it to bits soon as it lands ?

the issue with the bodywork is ill be having engine bay done aswell so alot of bits will be getting blocked as i want to try tuck it as much as possible and the front bumper/wings/rear bumper will all be done so the intercooler and exhaust of the 5e sit perfect with the bodywork. that and to be honest i prefer speed over looks esp if i was crusing around in a fully glanza kitted id feel abit daft with this huge whole in the bumper for a intercooler and a bonnet scoop. and its just a little 1.3 n/a under the hood.

theres no rush to rip it up but putting it on the road with the n/a engine just doesnt intrest me. i do 1k+ miles a month traveling to work in a boring daily i want something that will wake me up on the weekends and bring back the boost smile :p

and to be honest i prefer speed over looks esp if i was crusing around in a fully glanza kitted id feel abit daft with this huge whole in the bumper for a intercooler and a bonnet scoop

Think you just answered your own question mate :p

Have you got all the bits you want? If it was me as its what im doing is wait till you have all the parts and do it all in one hit. I say roll round in the 95 in stock trim and then take it off the road end of 2013 and bang it all together over the winter months.

Have you got all the bits you want? If it was me as its what im doing is wait till you have all the parts and do it all in one hit. I say roll round in the 95 in stock trim and then take it off the road end of 2013 and bang it all together over the winter months.

nah still quite a few bits to get so if am doing it all in one hit the ep95 will just sit in the garage till prob earler 2014 as the idea of the n/a just doesnt appeal to me. however if i do the mechanical work first and bodywork later am reasonably confident i could get it done by early/mid summer.

I would do what you are thinking. Get all the mechanical work done and get it on the road then have all the bodywork done next winter.

am realy swaying this way need to double check exactly what i need to get to make sure am not missing anything stupidly obvious only big iteam left standing is the turbo kit but next 2-3months i would be able to save the cash for that. choices choices.

Dont under estimate the 1.3na in a 4paw dude, is plenty of smiles and fun to be gad from them belive me lol. that said id do all the mechanical bits deal with all the mess and stress get it working 100% then next winter whip the engine back out, do body paint and a tuck then droo the lump back in knowing it all wotks as it should and you wont damage paint taking it apart a million times to trouble shoot on teething problems. makes way more sense. i personaly have mine in bits and am doing all the mechanical stuff first, if i can be arsed to finish it :( feeling like ill never get there tbh and kind of cant be fooked anymore lol is just a big pile of money on my drive and im starting to get itchy feet as to finish or sell up :( so make sure your turnaround time is as small as possable because if it takes to long its hard to remotivate your self i find.

Dont under estimate the 1.3na in a 4paw dude, is plenty of smiles and fun to be gad from them belive me lol. that said id do all the mechanical bits deal with all the mess and stress get it working 100% then next winter whip the engine back out, do body paint and a tuck then droo the lump back in knowing it all wotks as it should and you wont damage paint taking it apart a million times to trouble shoot on teething problems. makes way more sense. i personaly have mine in bits and am doing all the mechanical stuff first, if i can be arsed to finish it :( feeling like ill never get there tbh and kind of cant be fooked anymore lol is just a big pile of money on my drive and im starting to get itchy feet as to finish or sell up :( so make sure your turnaround time is as small as possable because if it takes to long its hard to remotivate your self i find.

thanks for that i think thats my biggest concern if i do it all in one go its a bloody long time away just spening money with out getting to enjoy it. ive been doing little jobs and when i get fucked off leaving it cause i no ive got plenty of time. atleast if i commit to getting the turbo i no am reasonably close to driving it again and can push on with it to try get it done. might see if theres intrest in my cage and recaros as i have been thinking of changing seats and getting a custom cage. and would speed up the turbo.

longest part i think will be actauly getting the dta set up and running but on the otherside i dont no if it will actauly be much harder than the standard swap as i dont have to dick around changing over looms and what not

hmm when i was looking into it i got the impression i wouldnt need to the only things that needed to be carried over are the. starter motor wiring/alternator cables and the reverse sensor that goes onto the gearbox.

i have a custom loom that came with the dta for a civic and it has all the sensor inputs i would need to run the engine along with a few extras i didnt need for the v-tech.

am planning to run coil on plug via civic type R coil. so just need custom cam and crank sensors. a new tps. and the rest of the sensors i can either use a dta sensor or attach the correct plug for the 5e sensor?

only issue i can see with it is it wouldnt allow me to use the water gauge in the cluster but that doesnt bother me cause i have a full set of gauges anyway.

unless am missing something?

nah still quite a few bits to get so if am doing it all in one hit the ep95 will just sit in the garage till prob earler 2014 as the idea of the n/a just doesnt appeal to me. however if i do the mechanical work first and bodywork later am reasonably confident i could get it done by early/mid summer.

Makes sense mate if your not interested in rolling round in the N/A. Just need to keep motivated really. I would get all the mech work done first, then do the body later. Everyone loves a shit box with a rapid engine :yahoo:

What turbo kit you going for mate?

am thinking base spec model godzilla kit possibly the stage one extreme kit. spoke to sacha and he thinks that would be more than plenty anything else would be overkill. but its not set in stone if a good zisco or race-tech kit poped up at the right price id go for it.

spent quite awhile looking into it and decided it realy either has to be a gt28 or a godzilla kit so just gonna have to bite the bullet and go for one think if i went down the td series again id just think hmm is the grass realy greener on the garret side :p

Edited by _shaun_

garrett gt28 ftw!!!

the godzilla kit doesnt look that great and I know of someone who will be disappointed wih the results as they were told it would make massive hp and hasnt.........well its still alot but not as much as anticipated!

garrett gt28 ftw!!!

the godzilla kit doesnt look that great and I know of someone who will be disappointed wih the results as they were told it would make massive hp and hasnt.........well its still alot but not as much as anticipated!

hmmm whos this or is it top secret :p?