Winding back mileage

Havent looked into this more just an idea thats popped into my head.

Has anybody when they have changed from KPH to MPH wound back their odometer to the correct number of miles rather than tryin to remember when you changed it over and adding both together?

Or is it just a case of buying new dials near to the distance your car has done.

Only implications I can see is when you go for an MOT it will be lower than it was before its last 1 but surely a call to VOSA or somthing along those lines could clear that up?

Cheers

You can re-wind the clocks with a drill in the speedo cable connection.

Does this actually work though? This was my first thought but does the odometer not have teeth on the numbers to stop this happening or do you needto go all the way up the numbers and past 0 again?

Surely if it was as simple as putting a drill on and reversing it then you could put the car on a ramp and stick it in reverse and watch your mileage plummet lol.

It is possible. As the import garage did it for me. When I test drve it was all on km. when I picked it up it was in miles and the milage wound back

How the fuck do we do it though haha.

I should have a spare set of dials to work with shortly and can fiddle about with them and try work it out.

Could leave it under a pillar drill all day long lol.

Winding it all the way round the clock might be the only option just dont want it to end up taking an age and rather than fixing the mileage ending up with 300k on the clocks haha.

How the fuck do we do it though haha.

I should have a spare set of dials to work with shortly and can fiddle about with them and try work it out.

Could leave it under a pillar drill all day long lol.

Winding it all the way round the clock might be the only option just dont want it to end up taking an age and rather than fixing the mileage ending up with 300k on the clocks haha.

http://www.countycarsofstrood.co.uk/

is where i got my glanza from years ago, you could try them and see if they remeber how they did it!

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?4855-How-to-change-your-analog-odometer-reading-(lots-of-pics)&s=c17055243f5bd5fbaefbabefcba8b778

A guide courtesy of our t-bird fans across the pond.

Trisk can I also mention my quotation thing isnt working properly neither are all the wee emotions I remember seeing a thread to do with the version update.

You can't re-wind it with the speedo cable connected you have to take the speedo cable off the dials, put the drill where the speedo cable plugs in and rewind.

It was ages ago I did this when I put SR clocks in a sportif. I dont think it took that long to wind the miles back.

Edited by DavidAshton

I have my clock dials off at the minuite, show 160k odd, not gonna wind them back or anything pikey, but i'll be getting MK1 clock dials hopefully so am gonna match it. I'll put a pic up now of where to put the drill bit, if you are looking to do this for genuine reasons only.

with a little knowledge on these subjects, strictly speaking it is illegal to alter the mileage of a car, however there may be exceptions, ie faulty clocks -2nd hand replacement, however this should be recorded with dvla,

those that have changed mileage to make a car appear younger than it is simply commit fraud by false representation.

since these cars are imports there would be no issue with an accurate conversion into mileage,however unless a convertor Is fitted the speedo would continue to record in km.

as most of you are aware your current mot should show the mileage for the last 4 mots and this can be verified on VOSA site {mot history check}

it also should specify on mot cert whether mileage is recorded in km.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done this before to a starlet after clock replacement it's real fiddley I can't exactly tell you how to do it but I maybe able to help a little; I had to click the outer black plastics out of alignment of the numbers i needed to change and kind of spin the reels until I got it to the area I needed it then just re mesh the casing teeth.

I couldn't seem to get it to the numbers I wanted so I was a few miles out it wasn't perfectly accurate but they were good enough and all the digits lined up pretty well

Hope this kinda helps