A fresh 4EFTE is usually the easier route. In terms of time, effort and budget a rebuild might not be your ideal solution. It's a days work instead of a weeks work.

Costly lesson unfortunately mate.

Unfortunately its just one of those things, but it does seem to be one after another. Awk well, shit happens, thanks for the advice again Jay,Chris,Amjad!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rebuilt my engine last year and cost me 304 quid. I rehoned it myself got some second hand pistons. Brand new rings and bearings from Toyota. And a head set from euro car parts for 85 quid. Don't take that long either bud

nice one man you didnt do bad at all, in fairness i couldnt do any of the work myself so it would cost a brave bit more id say. im gonna try replace the engine to get boosting again asap and forge the old one next year. i think a sunny holiday comes before the engine lol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So we got to the root of the problem anyway, turns out a wrongly configured FPR led to the engine overfuelling and destroying the ringlands :(

ringlands_zps692de38d.jpg

Costly lesson indeed and after some favours and a bit of saving the GT is back and running on the road :)

Firstly, i got myself a full Toyota engine gasket set from Idrees and had every gasket and seal replaced and a new Toyota PCV valve as well..

gasketkit_zps77a4d9e1.jpg

Then we got the head sent off to be pressure tested, skimmed and fitted with new Toyota Valve stem oil seals. Came back like this:

head_zps6bdf9a49.jpg

Things were going good but that was the end of the progress for a load of months due to a lack of funding! :(

But another student loan came in, and went straight out again on the Starlet lol. The bottom-end was sent off to be rebuilt by Byre reconditioning.

I got the block pressure tested.. bores honed and washed, ACL bearings and washers fitted, and pistons with new Toyota piston rings installed.

Component list fitted:

-ACL Big-end bearings

-ACL Main bearings

-ACL Thrust washers

-Genuine Toyota piston rings

-New timing belt & tensioner kit

bearings_zps1d4a702e.jpg

4 cracking pistons from another Gt Turbo cleaned up and ready to be fitted with the Toyota rings

pistons_zpse606c61e.jpg

The engine was torqued according to Toyota specs the head fitted with new Toyota head-bolts

engine4_zps204d475e.jpg

engine3_zps124406e9.jpg

Just waiting on the paint to dry on the cam cover and in it goes!

halfbuilt_zpsbc96018c.jpg

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

Managed to swap a few turbos and bits an bobs, got myself a Roadrunner manifold that had a bit of an ugly weld thrown up the middle and ported it out it with a Dremel and mock exhaust gasket before fitting

IMG-20130528-00689_zps15181b72.jpg

IMG-20130528-00690_zpsb78ab67c.jpg

Searched and found, thanks to Browners stash as usual lol, a matching Roadrunner twin-pipe decat :) It's supposed to seperate the exhaust gas and wastegate gas to improve air flow.

twinpipedecat_zpsb14d495f.jpg

This is them both installed as a mock up before the engine was fitted..

turbo_zps06412f09.jpg

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

Found an oem Toyota rear strut too

rearstrut_zps44a36ba5.jpg

strut_zpsad8eac85.jpg

I got a few genuine Toyota oil filters over time and Millers competition 10w40 mineral oil for bedding in

engine2_zps02c4f43d.jpg

We painted the rocker cover since it was off anyway and tried to somewhat resemble the Magnecore blue lol

fpr_zps3a7fef98.jpg

THE FPR HAS SINCE BEEN REMOVED/DESTRYOED!!

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

Nice one man looks pretty clean . How do ya reckin youl get on for the mot

Thanks mate, didnt expect to have to rebuild it so soon but thats life, and here i am..

I think iive a few bits just, wheel an headlight alignment, new clutch slave cylinder, and getting hold of a battery to send it through. I dont think they'll appreciate me holding down an 063 battery with a bungee cord!lol

Atleast its done man its a fresh engine now so its peace in mind for you now .. Ahh thats ok nothin major to be done anyways then but yeah a few eye brows would be raised if you sent it in with you holdin it down haha they might fail it for bein unsafe haha talk about being too strict haha :-p

Thats it bud nothing beats peace of mind! Do it once, do it right an all that :) except for bungee cords!! i stick by them...lol.

I need to get it on the rolling road once its back up to a higher boost again, im dying to see how healthy the engine is and it would be interesting to see what its putting out at stock boost pressure

I was running .8bar with a few minor mods before the bottom end went, nothing too extreme until I get an emanage or piggyback ecu to sort the fuelling proper. I'd like to see close to 200 eventually, that's my goal for around xmas time...

Once I get it back to that boost I'll bring it to Autotune in ballymena and get them to RR it there.

Go for a stand alone man them piggybacks are ment to be shite

Would you get a ct9 hybrid man not a lot of lag and good to go aswell and dont empty the pocket either ha

When umi have the car the way i want it im gonna get a gt28 kit so will be up near 350 bhp

Go ahead lad!! Gt28's are mental..lol I call shotgun for a blast when you have it fitted.

I was hoping for a good Tongs hybrid but I think I might try make my own with a ct12 exhaust housing and ct9b impeller,unsure about the exhaust wheel yet :/ means minimal lag/roughly same spool but with a few extra horses top-end. What hybrid you running bud?

yeah would be pretty nice man but its like 2500e so ill be a while savin for it but itl be worth it then forge the engine and wiseco pistons pauter rods etc

I've heard loads of great reports about haltech manbut there pricy to buy.. but to be fair you pay for what you get no point gettin a cheap ecu and its blows on ya nano

who ever your join to map the car you should ask them a good ecu .. I've never had any dealings with mines or jam but ill ask a few lads who have and see what feedback i get for you

be a great achievement to do up your own turbo man and as far as i know its a thongs hybrid

Edited by Darraghmh91

yeah it dont be long totalling up bud i thought about going forged but i couldnt staying off the road any longer to save. haha.. id prefer to have the ep85 4wd i think before i put Garrett turbos near it!lol have you looked into the 5e conversion yet or you staying with the 4e?

yea if you get any feedback let us know that would be great, cheers!! an your right there pal, you get what you pay for so best off going all out at it once. Lol, a friend of mine swears by this Megajolt ecu, i havent heard of anyone using them before have you?

obviously id need to send it off to get balanced an that but i wouldnt mind designing my own.. haha..Tongs would be my sole choice otherwise they are meant to be a great turbo, does it pull til redline??

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

Yeah its a pretty expencive hob y gettin all fancy turbos ha theres a lot more than others think like just forgin it is a bomb then you have to get all the rest to go along with it ha fuckin nightmare ha but great result

Yeah ill let you know and I've never heard of anyone usin thdm but they could be good man

No it looses power man im not drivin it at the minute im drivin the gi

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah its a pretty expencive hob y gettin all fancy turbos ha theres a lot more than others think like just forgin it is a bomb then you have to get all the rest to go along with it ha fuckin nightmare ha but great result

Yeah ill let you know and I've never heard of anyone usin thdm but they could be good man

No it looses power man im not drivin it at the minute im drivin the gi

yeah it adds up alrite man ends up a fortune, i priced it before i built it stock just took one lock and turned that idea off lol...Someday!!

Update.. Car seems to be running well ..piston rings are bedded in well, did a good 140mile round trip there, i threw £15 petrol in too so that wasnt bad atall :)

Feels amazingggg to be back in GT :D

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT
  • 1 month later...