Belts squealing like a bitch.

Right so recently i had my alternator and PS pump belts changed.

Now not long after its been done its screaming like a motherfucker.

Why would it be doing this? What can i do to shut it the fuck up as it gets right on my nerves that noise lol

Any help is appreciated as always!

Like starbuck said, a new belt will stretch see'ing as it's never been on a car before! What i did was got my mate to push as hard as he could on the alternater with a low entry jack handle (as they're really long), and as he was putting all his weight on it i tightened the bolts, simple.

Don't worry about it being 'too tight'.. Don't think it will be tighter than mine is haha.

Do not overtighten your alternator belt as this can cause the bearing in your waterpump to fail/cease i have seen it happen before and it ended up ruining a freshly forged motor!

Do not overtighten your alternator belt as this can cause the bearing in your waterpump to fail/cease i have seen it happen before and it ended up ruining a freshly forged motor!

How do i know when it is the correct tension?

Like starbuck said, a new belt will stretch see'ing as it's never been on a car before! What i did was got my mate to push as hard as he could on the alternater with a low entry jack handle (as they're really long), and as he was putting all his weight on it i tightened the bolts, simple.

Don't worry about it being 'too tight'.. Don't think it will be tighter than mine is haha.

You do everything all or nothing! xD

IIRC the correct tension is the belt should only bow if it has more than 10kg of pressure on it and you should be able to twist the belt 70-80degrees once its tensioned up on the pulleys

IIRC the correct tension is the belt should only bow if it has more than 10kg of pressure on it and you should be able to twist the belt 70-80degrees once its tensioned up on the pulleys

Cheers ill give it a look when i get home!

The belt should not be up too tight, nor too loose. You should be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees. but obviously not so easy to twist it, needs to have tension and just make the 90 degree twist.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem which i think its my p/s belt but my tensioner bolt was bent replaced it tensioned up and it started squeeling again but i think it needs to be slightly tighter or maybe a new belt it gets worst when heating is on when the engine has just got to temp!!!

• 2 months later...