Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but before i go spending money i dont have on stuff i wanna run a few things by the experts here on this.. The other day i fitted my adjustable actuator and took it for a test. I sat it to roughly stock boost on the actuator for the test before i was going to up it bit by bit...

I let it warm up to 90c first before i drove it then went half a mile or so normal driving and everything was fine before i boosted, as soon as i give it the boot i was watching the boost gauge to see where i was at roughly...i seen about 8 psi before steam started coming out of the passenger headlight/bonnet corner area of the car.

Checked the temp gauge and it was sitting ABOVE the red..so i cut it off straight away and popped the bonnet for a look, there was steam coming out of the top corner of the rad and coolant in the engine bay. Now i think the thermostat had stuck closed and prevented coolant from passing through,so i bought a new thermo from europarts and fitted it, filled the coolant bottle up half with remaining coolant and half water then bled the system to test run it again.

As soon as i started driving BANG the temp jus began shooting up again, so i switched it off again and waited.. in hindsight,

i dont remember hearing the fan coming on though so i think this could be the major problem!!someone please confirm??

But surely the new thermostat being put in shudve allowed the coolant to pass through and not let the temp rise to such a high level so quick?

All advice helpful,

Thanks Ryan

I've had issues with air locks, the temp keeps climbing steadily straight up to the red, even after bleeding, filled the header tank(overflow) and left it over night. Left it till the morning and the header tank was nearly empty refilled it and tried it again and the gauge only went to half way afterwards :)

yeah i thot it was an airlock when i had the random rising up & downs, so i topped it up and bled it. no probs for a few days then fitted the actuator and this happened!

tbh, i dont think the fan did kick in which is why it would explain the sudden rise when i put the foot down..but shudnt the coolant cool it sufficiently/or at least a tiny bit without the fan? gona test the switch in the morning.. (by removing the white plug it shud come on am i correct lads?),

then check the fuses becos the fan was definately working before i fitted the actuator and i didnt touch the connection. have the whole rad & fan out atm anyway because the high pressure has blew a serious hole in the rad! :( i poured water in the top it came srtaight out the bottom.

any other suggestions and thanks for the reply boys

thanks lads.

thermos replaced looks a bit different to the original one tbh, if ya look at the bottom of my thread http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/60224-my-first-turbo/

but it fitted the rubber seal okay and has the same little gold pin at top i matched it up the way it came out!

gonna need a new radiator & coolant first since the waters jus falls clean out the rad again...

if i remove the white plug from the thermo housing the fan should come on isnt that rite?

cheers

The fan is only really needed when the car is stationary so that's not your problem.

Sounds more like the hole in the radiator was already there or made when you fitted the actuator - the coolant will blow out the overflow before making a hole in the radiator!

The fan is only really needed when the car is stationary so that's not your problem.

Sounds more like the hole in the radiator was already there or made when you fitted the actuator - the coolant will blow out the overflow before making a hole in the radiator!

i still thought the fan came on as soon as the temp rises anyway! i think you might be right in sayin i coulda made the hole fitting the actuator.

dont remember making any major dents but these arent very forgivable cars lol..an the coolant had spat out of sumwer in the corner opposite the expansion tank but the hoses were fine no splits, so i guess i made a leak in the rad sumwer! and the thermostat went at the same time - weird :S

i had an overheating problem with made me change thermo and headgasket and still kept overheating on boost

finally the problem was the radiator being clogged cause my expansion tank too overflow

do you rad pipes get rock solid ?? if so try putting you hand on different part of your rad core to feel if there are cooler

sections probably means you have a clogged radiator

hope this helps

Run it with the cap off for about half an hour and squeeze the coolant pipes :p

EDIT: Coolant in he bay and steam coming off the rad? Is there a hole?

The hole isnt visible atal and even when i squeezed the pipes which were really soft, nothing oozed out! Whenever i put the water in through the top of the rad it came straight out the arse tho!lol

Thanks for all the advice and GlanzaAuA you are right, there must have been a blockage somewhere to cause the build up of pressure!

Waiting on reply for a new rad & hoses to be safe, then hafta get coolant aswell an tax nxt wk!lol..No new exhaust and leads 4 me :(

Yeh man honestly, i replaced the top one recently and the bottom one was really soft.but when i filled it to bleed it i squeezed it to pump the coolant round/check for some coming out and i couldnt find any leak in the hose watsoever! Im not convinced tho, im replacing it just incase i dont fancy this situation again..& the rads definately leaking for sure! Some of the fins looked like theyd been proper squashed and possibly created a hole in the channel... tho only abouit 4 or 5 fins

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

If your rads got a hole though it can suck air in, my Alfa used to do it, then the temp gauge would shoot through the roof and I'd have another blockage :( . With the pipes I meant I just keep on squeezing them until the fluid pops out the top of the rad and bleeding is complete! lol :p

If your rads got a hole though it can suck air in, my Alfa used to do it, then the temp gauge would shoot through the roof and I'd have another blockage :( . With the pipes I meant I just keep on squeezing them until the fluid pops out the top of the rad and bleeding is complete! lol :p

shit mannn, i think that may be the case too here then :thumbsup: thanks bud.. heres to no more airlocks!! lol

Haha air locks are horrific. In the end I did the classic, I'd ordered a new rad, decided a quick trip wouldn't hurt. Temp gauge flew up on the A34 and I ended up in a layby swearing in a cloud of steam. New rad arrived the next morning :-P Lol

Possible headgasket, mine were headgasket when this kept happening

deep down...i know, just dont wanna face it! also not getting much heat coming in through the fan heard that maybe a sign too? a/c is removed tho wud this mean anythin?

Addy i also ended up in a cloud of steam & coolant mate shitten em! Waiting on the rad coming now defo dont want that happenin again!

p.s hope this actually sorts it! & nothing to do wit head gasket!

Mine never used oil or water, itd be fine just tootling around but when i gave it shit itd get an airlock, turned out my head gasket had blown between a cylinder and water way but only enuff too be a problem if spanked.

Just killed another head gasket blown my rings and i suspect cracked my head aswell so having a forged lump with a better head gasket now lol.

Edited by Starbo Moorley