Shafz's TD04 GT Turbo

Alright everyone!

Some of you know me already, and some of you know this GT already. I'm Shafz and I used to own a 6P3 Green N/A Sportif 5dr as my first car which I loved, but sadly it met its death due to my own stupidity, since that day I'd always wanted another and after a year of owning a 1.6 MK4 golf - as much as I liked the comfort and the special features of it - I knew I wanted to be back in a Japanese car ASAP. After getting my 1 years NCB I decided to look at VTi Civics (EK4's), but they were all priced way too high or had done galactic mileage or had pretty much been ragged. My mate Amir (ali_legend) on here let me know he was selling his GT and having been in it before I knew it was the perfect opportunity and a good car for me, after getting some insurance quotes and finding out it was actually cheaper to insure than a Civic VTi or the other option I was looking at (Ibiza Cupra 20vTs - Not Jap, I know!) I knew I had to have it.

So on Tuesday I made my way up to Leicester to go pay for and collect the GT then proceeded to drive it the 120 or so miles home, smiling all the way, thinking wow I love this car - The power is immense! Every time I drive it it puts a smile on my face and even though it needs some work, I know it's a really good car and it has potential. I've had it for two days now and I just love it, and it gets a lot of attention and respect from the other JDM car owners around here..

Enough of the talking and heres the pics!

One from the Watford Gap services on the way home:

nPyAObZ.jpg

At home with my old Golf behind it:

R3NGt34.jpg

A little interior shot:

5MpIfsS.jpg

And some pics of it in its current state:

s5IfKYK.jpg

awvBuy2.jpg

So far I've got the rear engine mount done on it and a check up on the car and its fine, I've ordered a breather filter for the rocker cover as I'm not too fond of the catch can. Some new HB3/9005 headlight bulbs as the current ones are yellow. And I've fitted a headunit and only managed to wire the 6x9's up as there is no wiring to the front speakers. I had to mount the front numberplate on the car as even though it looked good in the windscreen, it flew off the screen and onto the front seat everytime I hit boost, and the police around here aren't too fond on numberplates in windows.

Jobs to do:

Fit breather filter

Fit headlight bulbs

Fit stereo properly and rewire the 6x9s, wire in the front speakers.

Get the FMIC mounted higher up so it sits nicer in the bumper

Possibly coilovers all around though I like the way it rides atm

Drill a hole in the dash to feed the boost/oil temp wiring through as atm it's preventing me from putting the storage pocket above the headunit.

Swap the GT front seats in it out for the GT front seats I had in my N/A as these ones aren't in as good condition.

Fix half the indiglos lighting as I can't see the speedo at night - Sorting this out on saturday hopefully.

Get the chip in the windscreen repaired - I can get this done on insurance BUT I know EP82s weren't exactly common here so would finding a screen be difficult?

Buy and fit a remote central locking kit.

So yeah there's the build thread at its start, I love this car and once everything's done I'll be even happier than I am now - if that's even possible!

Shafz.

Edited by ShafzC

Thanks everyone! It's good to be back in a starlet I am absolutely loving it, huge smile on my face every time I drive it! So far I've installed my headunit and rewired the front and rear speakers, I've also rerouted and redone the boost and temp gauge wiring so now it's not in the way. Next on the cards is a proper service and maybe a HID kit, as my 'blue' bulbs still come out yellow in the projector lense.

• 1 month later...

Random update, apart from the car not boosting properly at times I still love it even more every time I drive it. Apart from general maintenance and a plugs/oil/filter change not much has changed. Got a HID kit ready to fit and the intercooler is probably getting raised up this weekend so it sits flush in the bumper, then I have to figure out what front splitter I want - Probably a Leon Cupra R splitter.

Random shot with a friends new Yaris:

jfihVsL.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well where do I start, as of today in fact I've had the car 4 months! I've had my ups and downs with it from the sticky actuator to sorting the interior out but I'm finally getting it to where I want it to be!

Some pics..

88jRhcC.jpg

cb3GKOV.jpg

69tpgaw.jpg

Then last wednesday on a nice spirited drive I suddenly lost boost and the car sounded like a tractor, pulled into the nearest petrol station and surprise surprise..

gL2F59c.jpg

oxXgoJF.jpg

NFgHtVi.jpg

Yup, manifold cracked and I decided to order a new Toyosports Mild steel manifold and decat, but to my surprise they sent me a Stainless steel one. I just wanted to get the car on the road so fitted it anyway once I'd got it all braced up. Resulting in..

echbM6v.jpg

L6PkQ1c.jpg

Now I don't know how long the old manifold was leaking for but the car now feels a WHOLE lot faster and boost comes on MUCH stronger and I'm just happy it's on the road. Just got a few more jobs to do before JF2 that should hopefully get sorted.

Thanks for reading if you have :)

Shafz.