Can i start my engine with rocker off?

I need to identify if a valve is fucked on my head and leaking exhaust gasses into the oil ways and not from the rings and via the sump, but i need to be able to look at to see which one its coming from, can i start the engine with the rocker off for a brief moment?

Or will i literally get completly covered in oil :)

Or is there an easier way to do it

if i were you i'd give it a go briefly, don't imagine it's going to spray oil everywhere drastically. and if you do decide to do this, please take a video :p

- you could take the head off and get it pressure tested at a machine shop. pain in the arse though.

Edited by funny onion

Just an idea but put cling film over the top of the head that way you can still see what's happening but not make a complete mess if its only brief it shouldn't melt,

Just a idea it might work ?

Just an idea but put cling film over the top of the head that way you can still see what's happening but not make a complete mess if its only brief it shouldn't melt,

Just a idea it might work ?

I wouldnt risk it as i dont fancy cling film getting caught up in the rocker arms etc

It will splatter everywhere, done it loads on different engines and the 4e cams are quite open to the elements lol.

Take off the rocker and turn the bottom pully with a wheel bar. You will be able to see how much the valves are moving. :thumbsup:

Clockwise Obviously lol.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Take your oil cap off and start the engine. Watch how much oil sprays about and then multiply it by about 30/40x for the increase surface area. Even 5 seconds will make a massive mess. Do it and video it so it can be saved on the internet for future generations to laugh at you.

Edited by Driver