MOT Failure for Excessive Noise

I've been trying to sell my car for the past two weeks and now realised it would not be easy with the MOT renewal due next month So I booked my car in for an mot down the road as it looked like a pretty decent garage.

Aside from front brake wear and a leaky shock (These i should easily be able to repair, just general wear) the other failure was down to the examiner deaming my exhaust to be excessively loud. This was the last thing I expected them to say, as the car had pasted it's mot last year with the current system on. I know there is no actual test or limit for noise, it's just at the examiners discretion.

It is going to be tough for me get the required work completed for a partial re-test within 10 days, I haven't got a clue what I can do about the exhaust problem. I have already paid £54.99 for the test and ideally would like not to pay out for another mot.

If anyone has had this problem before and found a solution, I would really appreciate your advice on the situation.

Cheers, Dan.

Taking it back home where i had it mot'd last year wasn't a viable option. I needed the car mot'd asap so I could sell it and really didn't expect them to flag up such a stupid thing.

Ideally i just need a temporary fix to get it through a re-test at the same plae next week.

Cheers, Dan.

A guy I used to work with failed a car for having a magic tree on the mirror ... Obscured vision !

Mine was going to be failed last year on 2 tiny Teddy's on my dash where my tax disc is had to remove them myself.

I know what you mean mate the tester must have been having a bad day silly really as there is no starlet to compair exhaust noise to as they are imports.

I've had mine fail for excessive noise, but luckily now I take it to someone who doesn't care. An exhaust insert is very handy though, especially if you're exceeding noise limits for race circuits. The Blits Nur Spec exhaust comes with a removable bung.

Also failing for having a magic tree? what a jobsworth!

Hi Dan,

Just as info really but I had a similar problem and ended up selling mine online with buymycar.com they have dealers that will bid on your car even if it is likely to fail an MOT. Basically, the dealers have their own mechnics that can do the MOTs/repairs so it's a win win...

I've been trying to sell my car for the past two weeks and now realised it would not be easy with the MOT renewal due next month So I booked my car in for an mot down the road as it looked like a pretty decent garage.