Looking Into putting some 5e parts in. I no the crank, pistons and conrods need changing, as well as the 5efhe cams if I want a true 1.5, but is that all? Literally swap these 3 parts and it'll be up to 1.5 power? Surely it's got to be noticeable in a starlet. I want people thinking its turboed ( I have a visual rep :p) but make out its just an insane 1.3? Catch me drift?!! :)

You will get a few extra hp with the 5efhe cams, but they will cost you a wedge and they are very rare, easier to stick in the 5efe ones in.

1.5 has much more torque than 1.3 it drives much better in the lower rev ranges.

I have got 5efe head with cams if interested

5efe cams are exactly the same as 4efe 1s, its the rods and pistons that are different iirc.

im a spawny bastard and bought a fuckd engine with 5efhte cams in and the boy thot they were 5efe 1s :p

they help the engine rev a bit quicker, to source all the bits u need would cost u more than buyin a 5efe so if i were you, just stick a 4efte in. boost is awesome.

plus, do u really wana look like a wolf in sheeps clothin? thats y i will never rep mine

I would go down the boost route. But I reckon if i dig around for these parts it'll be cheaper minus the cams. I don't no the FULL list of what's needed for boost. Only the obvious lump, exhaust, ecu, loom... And read you need loom for lights indicator stalk and other bits.. So unless I had someone explain it all to me the 5e route better. I don't want mad power. Just abit more. I got because I had a crash in old starlet, and this was the first cheap one that came up. Thanks anyway

if u want the element of surprise, put the front end back to an n/a and go 5e, otherwise people are gonna b sayin "aye a pumped this slow as fuck glanza the other day" and youll be forever explainin that your not a glanza

To he honest mate I've had a play with a few cars on the road and people are surprised that its a rep without the engine! The reaction isn't as bad as you think haha. Can I drop the conrods and pistons in from the bottom end saves taking head off or does it have jets at the bottom?

1.3 & 1.5 are different engines but with the same heads. If u want a 1.5 you neec to buy a 1.5 engine. The 5efhe is the high compression high revvin fancy cammed japanese cousin of the 5efe that we get in the uk. A uk 1.5 will sit with a 1.5 vtec happily. Your best thing to do is buy a paseo from gumtree and take its engine.

We dont have jets no and you can never take pistons out bottom unless u want break them.

Thanks for that Paul, ill stick with the 4e for now as I just dropped a new lump in. Ill look into best exhaust setup before a remap.. Any extra power gain is good to go, as its a long term car until no claims pick up.

A lad in europe was making like 115-20hp on a 4efe but that was running some serious mods for a 4efe. Might even had been on throttlebodies.

From what you've said if (might need a adjustable fuel pressure regulator) id expect around the 100 mark.

Also just had a gander on google. Inlet and exhaust manifold are different on the 4efe 89hp models, injectors differ and most likely the map on the ecu.

So get the cast 4-2-1 mani from a 97-99 bugeye corolla as well try the injectors as well and then get some higher octane fuel (v-power or tescos momentum 99ron) and get someone who has some det headphones and advance the timing to get the most out of it. A FPR might also be advisable for this as well. Not too sure only going on what I've read lol

Edited by morgey

That's great information! Tbs are an expensive bit of kit, I dot want to go that far but thanks for that! Would it benefit the glands s injectors.. Possibly the ecu too? If I pinched an ecu would it mean higher power as its already programmed differently? I love technical stuff! Haha

That's great information! Tbs are an expensive bit of kit, I dot want to go that far but thanks for that! Would it benefit the glands s injectors.. Possibly the ecu too? If I pinched an ecu would it mean higher power as its already programmed differently? I love technical stuff! Haha

The ecu will most likely have different plugs. If you're niffty with a soildering iron you could rewire them to suit your loom.

If you were to do that you would be best off with the jdm ep80 4efe ecu as that has the highest rev limit (around 7500rpm) and probably the most agressive map of all 4efe's

Looking Into putting some 5e parts in. I no the crank, pistons and conrods need changing, as well as the 5efhe cams if I want a true 1.5, but is that all? Literally swap these 3 parts and it'll be up to 1.5 power? Surely it's got to be noticeable in a starlet. I want people thinking its turboed ( I have a visual rep :p) but make out its just an insane 1.3? Catch me drift?!! :)

5e parts dont fit in 4e im afraid u will need to fit the 5e block to

The ecu plugs are the same but the wiring is alot different. The distributor is different inside and many sensors are different.

The ecu will most likely have different plugs. If you're niffty with a soildering iron you could rewire them to suit your loom.

If you were to do that you would be best off with the jdm ep80 4efe ecu as that has the highest rev limit (around 7500rpm) and probably the most agressive map of all 4efe's