Total Newbie - Here I Am!

Hello everyone, my name is Stewart and I have just got my first car, and yep its a starlet :)

I don't really know much about it, except for its a starlet sportif 1.3 5dr 1997 model (P reg), 48000miles on clock (pretty low I believe).

I have had a browse of this forum over the past couple of days and have got to know a few things about them but I would like to know a LOT more information on them if anyone can provide any. Tell me absolutely anything, im newbie. :p Lol.

I will be posting up some pictures tomorrow but in the mean time if you would like to imagine it, its green and has had no alterations done to it as of yet. If you would like to start suggesting relatively inexpensive things that would make it wayyyy better, feel free to suggest.

by the way, I live in bolton, anyone from around here? I also go to university in warwick B)

Stew.

welcome to UKSC stewart, enjoy your stay here! sounds like u'v got urself a nice wee base to start moddin!

and we dont need to imagine wot it looks like...we just have to think back to the incredibly indecisive hair-pulling-out days when Mikey Jay owned a green 5 door!

all the best with your project dude!!! make sure and keep us updated with pics!!!!

lets see some pics of her ASAP!

Phil.

and we dont need to imagine wot it looks like...we just have to think back to the incredibly indecisive hair-pulling-out days when Mikey Jay owned a green 5 door!

Phil.

:):p Exactly what I though

Welcome to the club mate B)

Have a little browse on thesite and just about every question about the Starlet has been answered somewhere B)

Oh yea and add yourself to the uksc map in the general section to find out what other members are near you :(

Hey, ok thanks a lot for all the nice replys everyone, i feel very welcome.

And Liam, sorry I was planning to add the pics last night but had to go out. The pictures however are here:

The front:

SmallCar3.jpg

The Side:

SmallCar2.jpg

The Back:

SmallCar4.jpg

And of course, the car had to be cleaned so got a quite nice picture of all FIVE doors :p

SmallCar.jpg

Ok, now thats out of the way, what does everyone think?!?! B)

And whats this about Mikey Jays 5 door? Good thing or bad thing? Hehe. I quite like 5 doors.

And also, where should I start with modding, improving, messing? Bearing in mind I am not a car expert (yet :) )

Stew.

Looks very clean mate, as for being 5dr ...i think it looks really nice better than alot of other 5drs :)

First place i would start would be handeling, maybe some wheels then lower it with some springs + dampers or some coilovers.

First things I would do are free :)

Debadge all of the car and take off the rub strips on the doors...will give it such a clean look, then I would get some tasty wheels, drop it on its arse and some nice clear indicators for the front, a spoiler for the rear and exhaust :p

Welcome along :p

Nothing wrong with 5-door Starlets at all :p Had one myself, as everyone on here has already pointed out.

As said, could start by removing the rub strips (up to you though, some people like to keep them as they're there for a reason :p)

And also clear front and side indicators would be a nice touch :p

Also, here's a quick link to my old car's thread:

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4023

Ok,I have been into the toyota garage and ordered the clear indicators (I also had to get a new indicator unit for the driver side as my mum crashed it very lightly against a farm gate and a nail somehow broke the grey plastic thing that holds the light on. Breakers yards didnt have one either , damn. Anyways, the clear indicators are on their way now, I did however stupidly forget to order the clear side repeaters. I will do when go to pick up inidcators though.

QUESTION: Which lights are the best for the indicators and side repeaters, I would like ones that appear silver but flash orange if poss. Linky to good site that sells cheap please? Thanks.

Also, the england stickers are pathetic I think and def need to come off, you think they are likely to take the paint off if I peel, they dont seem like normal stickers, really stuck on good.

I am 19 by the way, just turned 19 in July. I am currently at Warwick University studying BSC Accounting & Finance (2nd Year).

I am seriously considering removing the bump strips but do you think it would be a wise idea with having to park on university car park full of bad drivers? :p

Thanks for the replys everyone, great place this!! :p

I have clear side repeaters if you ewant to by them off me mate :p

Will get some pics up soon they are down my dads at the moment but im going down tomorrow so will go get them :p

Maybe it would be better to colour code the rub strips then :p:p:p

Good to see you startied modding it :D

• 1 month later...

hello, i am also a newbie ive always had a love for starlet turbo's!!! I passed my driving test and just purchased a starlet sportif 1.3i 1997 (no1 ul even luk at me for insurance on a turbo) and i was wondering if anybody could help me with a few questions as its all new to me. I am really into the modding scene and i was wondering if i could add the glanza rear spoiler to my car? or would most of the later model glanza parts fit on my car? If anyone could help me or give me some knowledge i would be more than grateful! its on a R plate, 3dr and done around 68k miles! Id love to put ma car up beside some of urs one day!

I have also looked everywhere on the internet for body kits and all sorts but seem to be confused and baffeled as nothing is definately labelled for my specific model. Any guidlines, templates and general rules i should follow, whats a must have and what isn't and also parts that fit on my car aswell as diff models!

Cheers :lol: