• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gearboxes are actually easy on vags this year I've done 4 polo boxes and 3 golf mk4 1.8t boxes lol I'm a apprentice vag tec so gotta forever repair me mates vags :/

More fool you for becoming a vw tech lol. Hate anything from VAG such a pain to work on unless you do them everyday. I used to own a 6n polo, replaced 2 gearboxes and sealed up a leaky sunroof

More fool you for becoming a vw tech lol. Hate anything from VAG such a pain to work on unless you do them everyday. I used to own a 6n polo, replaced 2 gearboxes and sealed up a leaky sunroof

This ^^^ Worst cars to work on. Plus the whole reliability thing is a complete myth. Interiors have more screws in them that is all.

Edited by StuDoc 72

I find them easy to work on most parts are easy to get to apart from down pipe and turbos there built to take parts off easily, seats are hard to work on cause every thing has 20 more bolts or screws to hold it on, n it's like any car you look after it they will look after you unless French where it will just fall apart

A few of my pals have had / got, polos, golfs and lupos. My advice is by a basic one if you can, no electric windows etc. Less shit to go wrong basically. And take that bonnet bra thing off it ffs !! Or is that to hold the car together ? LOL.

Am a vehicle tech and hate doing anything on VAG tbh. The diesels blowing off IC pipes seems to be in fashion haha.

Look under the bonnet bra, bet its fucked the paint up (lifted the lacquer) did this on my mates red 6n2 also water collects in the and causes the bonnets to rust so ask to remove it completely!

@ben im not sure what vw's you've worker on but I've replaced/helped replace the thermostat on 3 different vags and none have been simple jobs. Vr6 mk3 inlet mani had to come off! S3 half the shit around the front had to come out and even the mk2 gti wasnt as simple as it could have been! Plus they insist on using crappy plastic thermo housing that just crack the stats are usually fine!

A boy in my work just bought a 3cyl polo as his first car, had it two weeks now. He came in this morning with the EML light on and a cyl2 missfire. Needs a coilpack.

Piece of shit lol.

A lot of people i know bought starlets, they come on here burning oil annd needing a engine rebuild ;)

A lot of people i know bought starlets, they come on here burning oil annd needing a engine rebuild ;)

Fair point mate but in defence thats probably a 10 year old car with a 60hp motor built for affordability and reliability.

Most starlets burning oil are 14 year old (minimum) boosted 140hp (minimum) hot hatches.

You would have to compare that to a 10 year old 1.0ltr Yaris which is most likely more reliable in all depts.

Fair point mate but in defence thats probably a 10 year old car with a 60hp motor built for affordability and reliability.

Most starlets burning oil are 14 year old (minimum) boosted 140hp (minimum) hot hatches.

You would have to compare that to a 10 year old 1.0ltr Yaris which is most likely more reliable in all depts.

Yeah im just winding people up.

I know which one i'd rather have all day :D

I had a Mk5 GTI a few years after they came out. Beautiful quality (especially the BBS wheels), but strangely pretty dull to drive. Chassis is poor, and although in a straight line it was quick enough over the real rough stuff it was almost impossible to drive it with any real speed. I was told by a Honda works engineer that VW did not do much work on the chassis over & above the standard one. Evo mag were not impressed and gave it 3 stars for the same reason.

Pedal box issue forced a VW recall, and yes the gearboxes failed early - German owners got them replaced free, UK owners got (if VW pestered enough) a token £700-£800 contribution toward a new box. One other thing is that you could not easily adjust the line into or exiting corners using the accelarator. That pedal always felt pretty disconnected to what was actually happening to the car.

Very disappointed with it ultimately, and was my last VW having been a die-hard up to then. I sold it after 8 months for a £3k loss and got a EP3 Civic R. I've always felt that the Polo GTI should be the ultimate hot hatch what with VW build quality et al, but VW have never nailed it with a hot Polo since the G40. Talking of which I am seriously tempted with this:

http://www.4starclassics.com/VW-Polo-G40-For-Sale/

Edited by dazstarlet

Owned 3 (mk3 1ltr, mk3 GT, mk6 TDi Sport). Never had an issue with any of them. Rock on.

Also have a look at club-polo.co.uk and uk-polos.net

Loads of die hard enthusiats and some good information to be had

I registered @ www.polo3.co.uk

Seems like a good site.

good little cars the polos, had a fair bit of experience with them. main things to watch are:

gearboxes

electrics

electric window cradles break easy

water leaks around boot and doors, and rear light clusters

RUST

also stay away from cheap coilovers. they seem appealing but the ride will shake your teeth out.

other than that their pretty bullet proof little cars. my mates building a 1.8 20vt 6n and its damn easy to work on, he also has a 9n daily which is a c*nt to work on. stick with the older dubs and you'll be sweet.

Sam

good little cars the polos, had a fair bit of experience with them. main things to watch are:

gearboxes

electrics

electric window cradles break easy

water leaks around boot and doors, and rear light clusters

RUST

also stay away from cheap coilovers. they seem appealing but the ride will shake your teeth out.

other than that their pretty bullet proof little cars. my mates building a 1.8 20vt 6n and its damn easy to work on, he also has a 9n daily which is a c*nt to work on. stick with the older dubs and you'll be sweet.

Sam

6n2's don't tend to rust due to galvanised shell, I've done a 1.8t 6n swap Aswell from a Ibiza Cupra R and its a nightmare to work on as there's very minimal room to do anything in the engine bay

6n2's don't tend to rust due to galvanised shell, I've done a 1.8t 6n swap Aswell from a Ibiza Cupra R and its a nightmare to work on as there's very minimal room to do anything in the engine bay

bet that thing fucking flew! got any pics of the engine mounts? measurements etc.