N/A starlet sportif handles like a breeze block

Hey, I wondered if anybody could give me pointers on sorting the handling out on my 96' non PAS starlet. I know PAS would be a great help but i'm not willing to go to that effort as it's out of my comfort zone.

Could i just fit glanza suspension etc. ?? anything that helps... im desperate. I literally have to cling on for dear life when i go round a bend at more than 50mph

First things first, your car is now 17 years old. Everything is old and worn most likely. If it was me i'd renew some parts

On the front

Ball joints

Shocks and/or Top mounts

Track rods

Droplinks

Anti roll bar bushes

Wishbone bushes (can get an anti lift kit for the rears, well worth thr money)

Whats the steering rack feel like, non PAS is quite direct so should feel fairly good

One the fronts sorted get your tracking or alignment checked, in fact it might be worth having it done first. If you do get somewhere good to do it, local tyre places tend to botch them thru and dont seem to do a good job.

The rear theres not that much

Panard rod bushes

Topmounts

Axle mounting bushes (not usually a problem)

If these parts are ok the first 3 things i would say feel for money would be.

Set of springs, 30-40mm dont worry about looks stock shocks wont like mad low.

Anti lift castor kit (front wishbone rear bush) more positive direct steering.

Poly bushes for standard front Anti roll bar and drop links.

These are the main things that i noticed gave me a better more predictable front end. Coilovers are too much for bumpy roads but my stock SR shock springs were lovely.

Then if you haven't already some alloys with 195/50/15's and a good brand on tyre. Toyo tr1's uniroyal rainsport 2's or others depending on budget.

After that a rear adjustable panard rod and rear anti roll bar. Panard stops the rear beam side to side movement and they are poly bushed which helps and ARB helps keep the rear flat and reduces roll.

And mostly get your tracking done if you fiddle with shocks or steering items.

Woo morning essay, hope that helps haha

Id start with the cheaper bits, ball joints and track rods. They affect the wollowiness and are cheap.

Then a set of springs and an anti lift kit.

Then polybushes for the front antiroll bar and droplinks.

That should be £200-300 max and will be a massive difference.

thanks for the info. I'm not sure i can afford all of that at once so which would be the most effective to start with?

Rear anti roll bar lad. New bushes balljoints and all thats a waste a money if they arnt broken.

Rear antiroll bar and half decent tyres just

I think the massive Must have mod of the RARB Is a load of bollocks IMO. i have front and rear upper braces, newish balljoints and rubbers etc, BC Racing coilovers and a stripped out rear.

On track it was quite oversteer happy, so i had to dial the suspension in to make it more neutral but it still wants to pull the backend round whenever you provoke it with No understeer.

Fitting a RARB will surely make it even more prone to oversteer and make it feel shite! you dont get much rear roll with coilovers anyway...

I think the massive Must have mod of the RARB Is a load of bollocks IMO. i have front and rear upper braces, newish balljoints and rubbers etc, BC Racing coilovers and a stripped out rear.

On track it was quite oversteer happy, so i had to dial the suspension in to make it more neutral but it still wants to pull the backend round whenever you provoke it with No understeer.

Fitting a RARB will surely make it even more prone to oversteer and make it feel shite! you dont get much rear roll with coilovers anyway...

A rear antiroll bar is £150 and coilovers are £500+

On a budget Id start with a rear arb. You only need to replace balljoints, bushes and trackrod end when they break, these are toyota not shit french peugeot.

Standard na, as the title says, will understeer like a bitch. Just fitting a rear arb makes it neutral with light oversteer on the tightest setting. I have standard shocks, standard springs, 13" skinny tyres, 14 year old balljoints and I can sit with any midern car over any road and around any corner. I also have a full interior and can take speedbumps at 55mph.

I would start with a rear arb...

I still say front ball joints, mine were "fine" in 08 according to an mot, changed out these £30 a pair parts and an hours work and transformed my car.

If your car feels wollowy then these are the most likely culprit.

Bushes maybe not so much but it ain't going to hurt.

Also train yourself to brake in straight lines, before corners then hold light throttle.through the corner and apply more throttle as you leave the corner. Youtube lift off oversteer. Plus the front antiroll bar droplinks can be tightened or loosened to encourage turn in when the road is wet

Having driven my GT now with Meisters, Whiteline FARB, and braces I definitely still felt like I was missing my Whiteline RARB!