Smoking While Driving?

Just heard on the radio that it has been published in the new Highway code that smoking while driving has been listed as a distraction. This now means that you could be done for smoking while driving which could lead to a £60 fine and could technically lead to a ban.

Anyone here do it?

I do, although not too often, if im on a staright road or know the area well then i seem to be more prone to doing it. It seems daft to me, how long until we cant alter the cd player while driving?

Thought this might be an interesting discussion? (probably not if you dont smoke)

no offence but its about fucking time! the number of times I've near been hit in the car by some dosey twat too busy puffin away that they are totally oblivious to wots goin on around them! of course its a distraction, to answer your phone u press one button, to turn up the radio is one button or a knob, to light a cig u have to take it out of the box, take a match out of the box, light the match and light the fag or get the fag and then get a lighter and use that! i know because my granda used to do it til it killed him.

sorry if thats insensitive to any resident smokers, your probably not as bad as the drivers i see doin it round my way as your all starlet owners which speaks volumes but its just a pet hate of mine! if u cant use your phone i dont see why u should be allowed to smoke or eat! its no differnt, well maybe to u smokers it is but to me as a nonsmoker who fuckin hates it and has near been wiped out by drivers smoking its no different!

P.s. im not havin a dig at any of our UKSC smokers so dont get over excited and start an argument as thats not wot im after. just expressing a nonsmokers POV.

Phil.

I'm with Phil, totally against smoking when driving. Obviously I can't really speak from experience but I've been in a car with my brother a couple of times when hes lighting a cigarette and the car in front slows down and hes SO close to smashing in to the back of it. God knows what would have happened if I hadn't shouted stop.

Actually, one time he did actually hit his SR in to the back of a Polo while taking off and lighting a cig at the same time. Lucky he was only driving at about 3mph though and caused no damage.

Smoking whilst driving FTL!!

just like having a mobile in your hand or any other object really, smokers shouldn't be steering with a fag in their hand, what happen if they drop it and stuff. Plus it's a disgusting habit, no offense to smokers, but it is nasty. Also makes your car smell bad inside.

hell yer. one of my mates cant drive neway, nd shes always got a fag on and fiddlin with her ipod....just sh** myself in the carwen shes drivin, hav to look and emi drive for her...hahaha. nt backseat drivin but needing to so we dont all die

Guest 180kph

Guess its time for a smokers point of view...

if this law comes into ireland ill still do it and break the law, these new laws they keep pumping out is a fucking joke, what if you have a passenger to light the cig for you?

And no offence but "if u cant use your phone i dont see why u should be allowed to smoke" is just a childish remark, a phone takes your eyes of the road and you have to concentrate a hell of a lot harder to text/talk so thats why.

its just another fuking money racket, why don't they use the money to bring in and inforce a new law on 0 tolerance drink drive limit, surely that would save more lives

This is just my (heated) view so please don't take offence

im prone to smoking while driving, when im on my own, because many of my mates dont like it, and its the only place i can really do it. cant do it in the house or in work!

i suppose it is good in a way if it gets banned, because ill probably quit, and because it'll keep the shit drivers who cant concentrate at all on the road either not doing it, or off the road.

but to be honest, i've seen so many shit drivers around it cant just be boiled down to being on the phone or smoking or eating, i mean what about really old people. half of them cant drive properly because they cant even see! so whats being done bout them then? am i just ranting on about some more bollocks atm?

a childish comment?? well no offence but 'a phone takes your eyes off the road' aint much better! takes your eyes off the road, says u! let me guess, your gonna say u can light and smoke a cig whilst keepin your eyes totally on the road? fair enough i wont question that ability, like i said my granda used to do just that! but u can pick up and answer a phone without takin your eyes off the road just as easily! perhaps not reply to text messages, but answerin yes!

sorry, thats just my heated rely...no offence intended!

Phil.

I completely disagree with eating, drinking, smoking or any other form of non driving activity. Causes accidents. Not worth it. You can always stop and do any of them. It wont kill you to wait but it will kill you to do it. You have to concentrate completely on driving as it's an extremely dangerous excercise if you don't.

In the end i believe it's a law to protect like wearing your seatbelt so saying it's to make money im afraid i disagree. :lol:

Bourkey

• 2 weeks later...

i agree i think if you cant eat drink or have a mobile in you hand while drive why should cigs be different and laura will be wth me cus a driver infront of her one day was smoking and she throw her cig butt out and laura had her window down as she does all the time and the wind actually blew the butt into laura's car causing her to lose concentration and she nearly had an accident put it this way it was a good job she wasnt going fast sorry hunni for telling everyone hope u dont mind but yah i agree with the new law def.

No Grant i dont mind and yes im with you totally i think its a disgrace smoking while driving i have nothing against people smoking but what people dont remember is if a motor cyclist or a person on a push bike is behind you remember you could hit them with a cig butt and they dont have much protection on at least if u r in a car the windows keep you covered but one thing for sure i dont keep the window down as far now cus it scared me cus the cig butt actually came in and landed on my leg and burnt me which made me lose concentratin but like grant said i was going slowly on a country road because if i had of been on a motorway or main road i may well not be sitting here telling you this story folks

love ya all

love laura xxxx

pisses me off more then anything when people chuck their lit dog ends out the window and you see sparks fly everywhere!

ever heard of a petrol leek? eh?

it's so much more dangerous then eating, if you drop an apple it won't burn you/set your car on fire, then you crach your burning wreck into school kids walking on the path!

but to be fair, atm my pet hate is these cocks driving (or riding bikes) with their head phones in....how the hell can they hear other motorists and emergancy services????

oh and cyclists riding on the road when there's a bike path

and these eastern european's that have just flooded onto out roads with complete disregard to our highway code, thinking that driving here is the same as in Poland

I could go on all day with things that annoy me on the road.....but i wont :)

[/rant]

Fiddling with the stereo is a distraction, you tap buttons but your keeping your hands free. If you need too you can just dump the stereo to deal with a surprise, you can't drop a cig in the car, your either a hand down or even more distracted afterwards trying to stop your crotch catching fire ;)

I see quite a few people people who don't seem to aware of the 'new' law about mobiles either, :) tempted to start taking pics with my mobile to shop 'em but I think that would be missing the point,........

Agreed with Ry, people who ride thie bikes on the road when there a bloody bike path right next to them! I also think old people should need to retake thier tests... what age is not for me to decided, but i mainly say this because a granny crashed into me with 3 other grannies in her car with no seatbelts! She obvisouly didnt brake because there are no skid marks on the road if she slammed them on! :)

*whew* now... breath in.... *zooop* and breath out.. *haaa*

Anyone else want to vent thier anger? lol

T