New suspension fitted, - now hear noise when wheels full lock

I had OEM replacement KYB suspension shocks, springs and front top mounts fitted recently. This has actually lifted the car by 10mm or so over old factory standard, but now when slowing up to park the car and turning the wheel close to full lock I hear clunks or / spring twangs. They seem to come from front and back but mostly passenger side.

Could it be the increased height? The front wheel was checked and adjusted at the same time. I'm not sure if they are catching on something as it is only whem turning wheel almost max that sounds occur - never hear once you are underway,

I thought it might also be something to do with springs moving in the old rear mounts which were not replaced (KYB do not make replacement rear top mounts).

Any thoughts appreciated as it's doing my head in. I thought new OEM replacement suspension would cure all issues!

Cheers.

Did you refit the rubber noise dampers under the springs. Where the camber bolts tightened with a breaker bar. Was the alignment checked and does the car skip on full lock going forward or backwards

Did you refit the rubber noise dampers under the springs. Where the camber bolts tightened with a breaker bar. Was the alignment checked and does the car skip on full lock going forward or backwards

I had all the installation work done by a garage mate, but I bought the KYB protection kits if that's what you mean? Don't notice any skipping tbh.

Take it back to the garage then?

Yeah I am going to do that of course, but I like to go back to them with some heads up on the issue so they don't fob me off. In this instance the parts were supplied by me, so they don't have the same obligation to sort as if the garage supplied and fitted. Some local garages said they would not even do the job unless they did supply parts due to situations like this (+ it's a nice earner for them I guess).

Lookunder the front wheel arch and youll see if the spring is seated in its place on the fronts. It takes about 25secondss to line it all up properly strut sping cap before fitting the bignut which is 20 seconds too long for some places. The top of the front shocks have a D part flatside that locates in the topmounts, this can be missed sometimes.

Best ti just go back lad

• 2 weeks later...

Well fitting garage found issue to be front passenger side spring twisting / moving slightly against top mount when at full lock. They say it's because there is no lug or something to stop it at the top unlike the bottom. They tried cleaning up and reseating everything 3 times but can't fix the issue. Maybe a faulty manufactured part as the other side isn't doing it (not sure that is true I heard noises coming from front and back).

Not causing any damage apparently, so looks like I'm going to have to live with it unless I start trying to fault find specific part and get a replacement. But as I've already spend £600+ on the suspension parts and having them fitted it's not really an option to spend even more when the car only cost £995!

its not the brake line brackets catching on one another is it? i know that BC and Meisters coilovers do this, maybe these do it too. failing that change your topmounts.

I fitted corolla gti complete shock assembly on my newer corolla and they did this, i changed the shocks from the newer ones with the springs from the corolla gti and it solved my issue.

however your rears should not make any noise and theres no turning motion.

Sadly dude your garage are telling lies. There are spring cups top and bottom for the springs to seat on.

In future I would use a different garage

Well they say it's front springs and I did have new top mounts at the front (not back as KYB don't make them) so maybe if I'd kept the old ones it would not be happening. I don't know. As for being a good garage, well how do you know these days? This garage has rave reviews on the 'good garage scheme' website and locally - they have a good background in various prestige dealerships before setting up on their own. This is one for the rant section but these days 90+ % of tradesmen I use seem to f*ck things up. It's like nobody has all the skills anymore. If I had a £ for every garage that did not do work 100% without fault I'd be rich.

The guy I used to go to who was 100% solid sold up his own garage as he was fed up with all the hassle of self employment, then went in as a mechanic at a large local independent garage but then got fed up correcting f*ckups made by the other mechanics they employed who mostly are useless, and so now he has got himself an easy life doing MOT's for Kwik Fit!

So seems it's not just the customers getting cheesed off with crap mechanics.

Edited by dazstarlet

its not the brake line brackets catching on one another is it? i know that BC and Meisters coilovers do this, maybe these do it too. failing that change your topmounts.

I fitted corolla gti complete shock assembly on my newer corolla and they did this, i changed the shocks from the newer ones with the springs from the corolla gti and it solved my issue.

however your rears should not make any noise and theres no turning motion.

I've no idea Morgey, i'm told that that on the ramp nothing was catching but i'm only going on what they said. I'm not really up on this stuff tbh. The front top mounts are new KYB one's which I'd think as OEM replacements should be like the originals. Maybe going back to Toyota ones would do the trick... I'll just have to live with it until I can find a garage that does know what they are doing.