Hi guys,

I have applied for a job in London and will be hearing back in the next few days, fingers crossed.

My question is, what is it like living there?

Good, bad? I have never lived in a city and Belfast is a pretty small place place.

Is it expensive place live or has it be over exaggerated?

I could be working in Canary Wharf, so good affordable places to live, that don't take an age to get to.

Cheers

commute mate,

I worked in the city of London for 7 years and its not exaggerated prices are crazy my advise is commute between canary wharf and east London,

east London rental prices will about half of what you would pay for central !!

I'm also from n Ireland and I've lived in London now live in surry.. London is a different world mate I didn't really like it tbh it's very very expensive but wages tend to be alot better to compensate for things anything you need to know drop me a pm I will help you out wer I can

Cheers for the advise guys. Not keen on public transport, but it is terrible in N.Ireland. I got a bit of shocker when I look at property to rent. Can't see me living in E14 anyway.

I always like the sound of good nightlife though :yahoo:

Cheers for the advise guys. Not keen on public transport, but it is terrible in N.Ireland. I got a bit of shocker when I look at property to rent. Can't see me living in E14 anyway.

as I said above buddy try east London postcodes beginning IG or E its a short train ride or tube ride to canary wharf but more reasonable prices

Nightlife in awesome is mental.

It can also cost you more than a weeks holiday if your not careful lol drinks/entry at a lot of places are insane.

I drove my Glanza there at new year, parked outside my mates flat and was literally paranoid all night, when we got back I made sure she was still there lol

You're going from one of the cheapest places in the UK to the most expensive. You will notice prices being much higher big time! I've spent quite a lot of time in London over the last few years for work and personal, and I have considered living down there too as I always love London when I am there. But I think for many people I know the crazyness of the working life down there starts to grind them down, and you love being in London far more when you know you are going back to Kings X or wherever at the end of the day to catch a train and get out of the madhouse.

Some observations:

- You never get used to the general grime and dirt that you pick up whilst just going about your business (blow your nose and it's like black sh*t coming out!).

- People in London are far friendlier than many people would have you believe. Certainly I find myself in conversations with far more stangers when I'm down there in a few hours than I ever would in days where I actually live.

- Driving in central London is nearly pointless. You won't go very far very quickly and central London pricing is designed to keep poor people off the road so as to allow the rich in their nice motors more space.

I would say be careful in East London as thats where most of the stabbings take place, but if you are from NI it's probably handbags at dawn compared to what you are used to :) Good luck mate.

Edited by dazstarlet

You're going from one of the cheapest places in the UK to the most expensive. You will notice prices being much higher big time! I've spent quite a lot of time in London over the last few years for work and personal, and I have considered living down there too as I always love London when I am there. But I think for many people I know the crazyness of the working life down there starts to grind them down, and you love being in London far more when you know you are going back to Kings X or wherever at the end of the day to catch a train and get out of the madhouse.

Some observations:

- You never get used to the general grime and dirt that you pick up whilst just going about your business (blow your nose and it's like black sh*t coming out!).

- People in London are far friendlier than many people would have you believe. Certainly I find myself in conversations with far more stangers when I'm down there in a few hours than I ever would in days where I actually live.

- Driving in central London is nearly pointless. You won't go very far very quickly and central London pricing is designed to keep poor people off the road so as to allow the rich in their nice motors more space.

I would say be careful in East London as thats where most of the stabbings take place, but if you are from NI it's probably handbags at dawn compared to what you are used to :) Good luck mate.

Cheers for that mate. I like the hectic lifestyle though, well what I consider to be hectic and what other people consider may be a different story lol. The way I'm looking at it, if it happens happy days, kinda new life I get to see different places & people.

Hmm not to keen on grime and dirt, kind of a clean freak when I comes to personal hygiene.

Good to know the people are friendly, never really thought much about that.

I guessed driving would be a no go, but at least public transport is more frequent than in N.I.

N.I. isn't really that bad to be honest, it is all blow out of proportion by the media, was bad many years ago. Not so much now.