how much are you paying for insurance (20/21 year olds?) tied between two cars

In a position where i'm going to be able to finally afford a step up from the n/a after about 2 years in the waiting and i'm tied between two cars. Ran a couple of online quotes and this came up?

GT turbo obvz

or a Corolla SR (Early VVTI facelift version with 6 speed box)

The corolla is swinging me over with it's chain driven engine, 6 speed box and mpg return, with quotes coming in at 21 with 3 years no claims at £606. However i'm wondering if the 4afe (109bhp) is really much of a step up from the 4efe, with the weight of a corolla being more obviously.

However quotes are coming in with the GT at only £676, which is really tempting me also, I feel like i would be betraying the community if I bought a rolla, and well I would be shooting myself in the foot if I didn't hold out a few extra months until I was actually 2, for a car i fiddle myself over everydayy. Although it would be a car I wouldn't want to run with more than a ct9 setup and anything more than 160-170bhp due to needing it as a daily for short trips to work and the occasional 50+ mile drive.

Anyway to the point, which do you feel would be best in my position (at university, do not have to travel a lot apart from 2 miles to work/gym or to my hometown, but want a car i do not want to be under the bonnet with all the time, working part time)

And are these quotes good, or could I be doing better?

Edited by Billy SR

I'm 22 with 5 years no claims. Was with sky last year with all mods declared (td04, emanage blue, cage, seats etc etc) and was paying £1200 third party. Got the renewal through and the premium was £1020. Called green light and got it down to £650 fully comp with protected no claims with even more mods.

Get a GT!

The SR corolla isnt a 4afe, its a Zz engine which is an all alloy unit. Downside, early prefacelifts can burn a bit of oil, later ones had revisions to help minimise this.

Having had a facelift 1.4 corolla with full Sr trim the last 4 years i wouldnt shoot it down straight away, obviously the gt has far more potential with less work but for day to day dealings the corolla is leaps and bounds ahead.

Even though its not a fast car it is satisfying car to drive, seating position is lower, handles well for stock, is comfy, can seat 5 adults, well refined, economic etc etc. even after hours and hours of driving it I've got to where i was going and could easily hop back in it and drive for hours more.

My 1.4 insured with alloys and lowered cost me about £450 when i was 21, it cost me £290 at 24. I can remember the day i drove it home, it averaged 49.7mpg driving at about 65mph. I think cost of repairs has been about £315 over 4yrs/35000miles and £50 of that is for a shock i replaced 2 years in a row which only covered about 10k!

Anyway thats enough Rolla love! :p

Iirc my glanza was 654 last year at the age of 20, now tho I have a policy on my bmw where it gives me 90 days per year to insure another car for a few quid a day works a treat

If you don't mind me asking mate, whos that with? I like the idea of that!

The SR corolla isnt a 4afe, its a Zz engine which is an all alloy unit. Downside, early prefacelifts can burn a bit of oil, later ones had revisions to help minimise this.

Having had a facelift 1.4 corolla with full Sr trim the last 4 years i wouldnt shoot it down straight away, obviously the gt has far more potential with less work but for day to day dealings the corolla is leaps and bounds ahead.

Even though its not a fast car it is satisfying car to drive, seating position is lower, handles well for stock, is comfy, can seat 5 adults, well refined, economic etc etc. even after hours and hours of driving it I've got to where i was going and could easily hop back in it and drive for hours more.

My 1.4 insured with alloys and lowered cost me about £450 when i was 21, it cost me £290 at 24. I can remember the day i drove it home, it averaged 49.7mpg driving at about 65mph. I think cost of repairs has been about £315 over 4yrs/35000miles and £50 of that is for a shock i replaced 2 years in a row which only covered about 10k!

GTs are actually really insurance friendly, mine was 1.1K at 19 years old 0ncb.

Thing to watch is if you do buy a GT, make sure its a good example, theres loads of shiters out there !!

Nice one lads, really appreciate all your responses. Realised it wasn't a 4afe when i was thinking of your rolla in the shower this morning morgey and how you appraise it haha, think that's whats been tempting me, plus they are a good looking car. Quite impressed by the power of my friends ignis and wanted something equal or faster in comparison. I've seen perfect rolla's for £1000-1500 quid, which i wouldn't want to spend anymore. Then again I wouldn't really want to spend more than £2k on a gt of the spec I am looking for.

Is it really necessary having to do a compression test if i was to go view one (GT) it's only my mechanical skills have gone about as far as changing brakes, as it's all i've needed to do on the n/a, and i would really know what I would be doing.

Edited by Billy SR

Its advisable to do a comp test with any car, especially GTs and Glanzas, lets be honest a lot have been abused sadly. Its really easy to do the test, efi fuse out, king lead off, spark plug out, screw probe in, flat throttle and turn the engine over, see what gauge says, repeat for all cylinders, piss case :)

Also morgey, do you know if 14's would go on the rolla just fine, it's only that I see people floating around on 15's, and I have my weds lying here, I wanted to go for a super low slag set up.

Edited by Billy SR