almost every car should be around 750-1000rpm really, just over isnt too bad, your polo sounds like it had a vac leak or something to be that high.

when cold they will idle a little bit higher and settle down to under 1k usually

Edited by morgey

@Mikey when it's cold it's high and loud, once warm it's just over 1k on dials but it's very quiet, so probs the dials are out?

Just wanted to know what people usually average at, always handy to know :)

Also, might be a bit off this topic, I always seem to get a strong smell of petrol from the car. Can't find any leaks or holes, although the exhaust sounds like it's blowing, as if there's a hole in it (new backbox fitted after original one fell off). Any ideas?

Doubt if its the dials mate they were pretty much spot on when they were on my SR the idle did get a bit funky when I fitted a corolla manifold but that was to do with throttle tension I think? :)

I didn't have the bit on the rolla mani that holds the throttle cable properly so I used a bit of rubber to set the tension. Got a bit sticky after a while but I'm sure there was a better way of doing it :)

Can check the accuracy of the dials by popping to a garage with a fairly decent timing light, they tell you what your rpm is, then compare that to what yours read.

Mickey I've not seen any car idle lower than 750rpm I don't think, when they idle that low they sound rough like theyre about to stall

You could always check does it hit the rev limit at 6500rpm :). If the throttlebody isnt dirty and you havnt messed with anything else it should idle at 750_800. If you bridge te1 & e1 in the diagnostics plug the car will hold idle at 750_800

Use a paperclip or any stiff wire. Youll here your idle valve open up making a swooosh noise then close fully. Your timing is now locked at 10° btdc and your idle should be at the correct. If not adjust your throttle stop.

The most common problem is your throttle is dirty. Clean it with a cloth and your finger while holding open the throttle with your other hand. It shouldnt matter if your throttlecable is loose because the idle should be set spot on from the factory and its usually oily buildup or human error that messes it up. Have u done anything to your car??

• 1 month later...