Hi! 1990 Dark Green GT (ABS+Sunroof)

Hi people,

I very spontaneously bought a 1990 mk1 ep82 this evening. Really pleased with it so far! I haven't had a car for over 5 years, here was my previous one:

3.jpg

IMG_4831.jpg

IMG_4832.jpg

I was specifically after a mk1 and lucked out with a metallic green sunroof model on gumtree. I like things quite subtle so the plan is to get some original gt wheels, lose the window tints and fix annoyances like the electric windows/sunroof not working. Its also got a noisy as hell exhaust and dump valve, I would like something a bit more civilised, not sure what my options are regarding a quiet exhaust and retaining power.

Its had a few things done to the engine which I'm not exactly sure about, taking it to a friend tomorrow to have it looked over. its running 1 bar of boost i know that much and it pulls really well.

Plan:

Find new drivers seat

Fix both window motors/cabling (whatevers stoppping them from working)

fix broken sunroof (pain right?)

Find a housing for the stereo as its currently plonked in the centre console

Lose tints/dump valve/noisy exhaust

Find original wheels

Rear passenger window is leaking a bit so that needs a look

abs light is on on dashboard, havent checked if it has the unit yet...

re-gas or remove AC

Hope you like!

fit mph clocks and fix dashboard lights

overhaul rear brakes

maybe wind boost down a bit

Im quite naive regarding these cars so let me know if any of those jobs are impossible/ a ball ache. Please feel free to stick your boot in...

Adam

ps glow panel still iights up! apologies if the pics are massive, i tried resizing them

Thanks guys! Im quite stoked with it.

'Marc Moss' Pm'd regarding seats.

'Bluebear' It is the standard turbo yes. Currently running a hks adustable actuator, greddy BOV, cone filter, rising rate fuel pressure reg, FCD.

I think thats it engine wise, 1 bar of boost. Is that asking a bit too much of it? I really don't know much about these engines so any advice is appreciated.

If I wanted to run at this boost on standard internals, turbo and intercooler safely what would I need to do? New engine management?

Thanks

Ad

Hey, said i'd comment for you last night so here it is! :p

Didnt know you were running 1bar! Yes 1bar is a bit much- turn it down to .6 or something will go wrong if youre tearing up & down the country!

Good luck & I guess we'll see you soon! :)

• 1 month later...

Hey,

A little update. Had the car a month or so now, things went downhill pretty quickly.

Managed to get a few tasks done, sourced some original wheels (mk2) and removed the tints. Went on holiday for two weeks and had a couple of friends work on it for me. He and she overhauled the brakes, removed the AC, fitted an rx7 intercooler, took a look at the non working sun roof and gave the engine a proper service. I sensibly sent my turbo off to be overhauled, it came back looking great! It was bolted on, primed and proceded to last 3 seconds before over spinning, snapping the shaft and bending the blades! I wont name names as they eventually agreed to overhaul a spare turbo for free. That got bolted on today and its running sweet. Looking like a faulty rebuild not engine problems as they initially decided!

Next up is to get the windows working properly, pick up a set of original front seats for it and get a nice quiet subtle looking exhaust fitted to it. Oh and replace the knackered tailgate struts.

photo.jpg

Adam

PS Any London zone 1-4 starlet owners? Feel like it's just me!

Edited by AdamF

Nice little mk1 mate , I got myself a mk1 end of August after I had been looking for ages

Mine was originally same colour as yours untill someone decided to try and do a DIY spray job and sticker it up like a castrol rally car but it's having a full re spray now

Congrads on findjng a mk1 mate they are the best ones in my eyes if I got one again it wouls be a mk1 if yk

Are going to knock down the power be careful with the mods you remove as you wont be able to put a standard exhaust on running that power the car will have issues.

He?! Ahem! Ha :p

Look at that beauty in the background!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

You can also cross off the Captain Clown wiring loom that you had too! Car works all lot better now everythings plugged in!

See you Saturday... if it blows up on the way home don't bring it back! Lol :D

Edited by melon