MG ZS TD04 project, new wheels :)

Looks good mate, a friend of mine has a 2.0 mgzr turbo, t series, t28 I think, petrol, fast as fuck ,

plans sound good mate! :)

I raced a 2.0 turbo MGZR with a t28 running 220+ and he couldn't shake me off :lol:

Was funny when his mate rolled down the window and shouted to me.. Is that standard!? Yep! :lol:

Cheers for the comments lads :)

@ Addymk2 - anything you want to know about these cars, PM me! You can get them to 130+ bhp easily and cheaply and up to 150 on the standard turbo if you're willing to pay for a remap. Definitely pokey enough for a daily driver that will still get 50mpg and out handle most cars on the road even on standard suspension, not to mention the leather seats or the practicality of 4 doors and a big boot. Oh and I only paid £1.5k for mine!

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update, have now got a universal pipe kit for my intercooler and a manual boost controller. The turbo is back from being rebuilt and will be ready to fit once I've made some adaptor plates, I've got some cardboard ones mocked up as a test already, so as soon as I get some bits of steel plate I'll get on with making them.

After the next week or so is out the way then I'll get on with fitting some of the parts with the turbo being the last thing to go on as I'll have to get a downpipe and exhaust system made up straight after as I've got nothing to use as a temp down pipe and don't fancy driving round with clouds of diesel smoke under the bonnet lol.

Once that's done then it'll be time for a remap! I'm told the injectors I've got are maxxed out at 185bhp so I'm hoping to get somewhere near 175-180 with this turbo.

• 1 month later...

Nice ZR, X-Power grey is definitely the best colour! Think I've seen that ZR on youtube, the exhaust and strut braces you're on about are Dark Ice Designs, I've got their strut braces for my ZS :)

A little update:

Full exhaust system and decat are now fitted, will have to get some pics soon, I'm happy with it though, no louder than standard at idle, and even at 4.5k rpm if you've got the windows up it's not that loud, normal driving with windows up you can't hear it - but the revs go up much easier now, no restrictions past the turbo as it's a full 2.5" mandrel bent system with no boxes other than a back box with 3" tip.

Also I decided I need some music so...

alpine-cde-180rm~8462~2.jpg

p-165-v15.jpg

Also got some sound deadening, MDF speaker rings, ended up spending more than I intended on audio, I've already got an amp but may buy a better one instead, going to see how I get on with these components and decide if I want a sub or not, I'd prefer not to so hopefully these speakers give out a nice amount of mid bass to compensate for it.

Edited by ste91

Really nice project man! Love these little motors! Have a real soft spot for mg's

Nice to see what you get out of it!

Cheers mate, I can't wait to see what power it makes with the bigger turbo, I need to get myself into gear and get it fitted lol I've got pretty much everything I need now, just a matter of making it all fit and bolting it onto the car and then remap/dyno and see how it performs.

No pics yet I'll have to get some on the weekend if I get chance to wash the car, but I've fitted my front & rear strut braces. :)

Also got a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 3's fitted on the front, I finally have some grip instead of the awful ditchfinders that were on there before!

Edited by ste91

The weather is terrible so can't do much to the car today, I'll be fitting my speakers and other bits soon so I'll take a load of pictures of what's been done so far for my next update.

The speakers I ordered were out of stock so have changed to some better ones - Focal P165 V15's £189's worth for £130 brand new! And to power them I've bought a Genesis Profile 2 amplifier (2 channel, 75w rms), for those who don't know, Genesis is a well respected brand, their amps are very high quality and hand made in England. So that's my audio pretty much sorted although I may add an under-seat sub woofer at a later date.

Also ordered an uprated clutch, I didn't want to go for a silly race spec clutch as it's a road car so went for an organic type.

Just to show where I'm at now what I've actually done so far, not a lot yet really:

- upgraded injectors

- full 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust system and decat

- front and rear strut braces

- Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres

Soon I'll have fitted:

- Focal P165 V15 components, Genesis Profile 2 amp, Alpine headunit

- uprated clutch

- Torsen diff (recently rebuilt gearbox with steel caged bearings and Torsen diff)

I still haven't got round to getting the turbo fitted yet but I'll be sorting out the adaptor plates soon, once the turbo is bolted on I'll get a 2.5" downpipe made to match up to the existing exhaust system, then fit my FMIC and MBC and it'll be ready for remapping.

Edited by ste91
  • 3 weeks later...

Little update, started my audio install, got the speakers/tweeters/crossovers all screwed in, unfortunately no pics of the install as it was in progress, I always forget to take pictures!

But I did get a couple of shots of how it stands at the minute:

1940326_10151905180461268_1550442631_n.j

10002806_10151905180456268_1869132765_n.

That's as far as I got, everything is in place but there's still a fair bit to do, drill some holes in the doors to run the new speaker wire as all the wires are upgraded to much thicker cable than the standard stuff. I thought I'd get away with only a minimal amount of sound deadening on each door but decided to order some more, so next weekend it will be finished properly.

The tweeters are mounted in the original location and the crossovers are hidden away inside the door, the amplifier is also hidden along with any wires so you wouldn't even know anything has been changed apart from the head unit.

This is the amp I bought, a Genesis Profile 2. 75w rms per channel @ 4 ohms for those who like numbers.

profile2.gif

The components I've got are rated to 70w rms so this amp is more than capable of powering them, much better than running off the head unit.

Apologies for lack of updates on the engine side of things, I'm itching to get the turbo fitted but want to get these bits and bobs out of the way first.

I've just ordered a Garrett boost gauge and a couple of things to finish the audio install, as well as some more 80+ mm inlet ducting to upgrade the air box pipes.

Edited by ste91
  • 3 weeks later...

Little update, few pics, more to come:

Finished my audio install, components/amp/wiring/sound deadening all done, can't really show you the end result as everything looks completely standard but the sound is in a totally different league to the standard speakers, very clear, plenty of mid bass, I'm happy enough without a sub, and you can turn the volume up so it's uncomfortably loud but it still sounds clear. Well worth the money as I think music is needed in a daily driver/road car especially on long journeys.

Uprated clutch and gearbox are fitted, still bedding the clutch in at the moment but as soon as it's in I'll be giving it some abuse, I've not driven a car with a proper diff yet so I'm interested to see how the Torsen diff performs.

Boost gauge fitted, I'll get a pic of that soon.

Spent a few hours giving the car a proper clean, prepped with tar remover and Meguiars clay bar, and then Autoglym SRP and Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0, the pictures don't really show it but it's made quite a difference, looks great in the sun.

Went for a little drive the other day:

mg1.jpg

mg2.jpg

mg3.jpg

Had a nice afternoon blast down the lanes, but managed to cook the brakes, fair bit of smoke coming off the pads lol so a few upgrades have been ordered:

Rover 620Ti front calipers with 282mm discs

ZS180 rears with 260mm discs

Ferodo DS2500 pads all round

Braided lines

RH665 fluid

Should have plenty of stopping power once I've got that lot fitted, it works out well that I've just had the clutch fitted as I'll be able to bed in the brakes & clutch all in one go.

Edited by ste91

How are you finding the uniroyals mate? Tempted to get a set myself I loved the rainsport 2s!

I'm quite impressed with them, I've mostly used Toyo T1R's in the past (and T1S before that) and I'd say the Uniroyal RS3's are just as good in the dry, much much better in the wet, and around the same price. However the sidewalls are quite soft, and as I've got a big heavy diesel engine over them the sidewalls tend to flex a bit, they lack a bit of feeling when turning in to a corner, they just aren't quite responsive enough for my liking.

I've just ordered a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 A2's to put on the front which cost me £25 more per corner than the Uniroyals, they've got some really good reviews though so hopefully they're better than the RS3's, the main reason I bought them was to see if they felt a bit more responsive.

The Uniroyals are very good though I'd recommend them over any other tyre for the same money.

Edited by ste91

I'm quite impressed with them, I've mostly used Toyo T1R's in the past (and T1S before that) and I'd say the Uniroyal RS3's are just as good in the dry, much much better in the wet, and around the same price. However the sidewalls are quite soft, and as I've got a big heavy diesel engine over them the sidewalls tend to flex a bit, they lack a bit of feeling when turning in to a corner, they just aren't quite responsive enough for my liking.

I've just ordered a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 A2's to put on the front which cost me £25 more per corner than the Uniroyals, they've got some really good reviews though so hopefully they're better than the RS3's, the main reason I bought them was to see if they felt a bit more responsive.

The Uniroyals are very good though I'd recommend them over any other tyre for the same money.

Is that even the heavy load variety? Cheers for the detailed feedback mate! 2s were always awesome but the sidewalls flexed.

Yes mate, still a bit soft but I guess that's the trade off for having good grip on wet roads. I think they'd be fine if there wasn't a big heavy iron lump above them, but Starlets don't weigh much so you probably wouldn't notice the soft sidewalls as much.