Red CD 5-door - my first car! (Pic heavy)

Hi all, this is my 1997 CD 5-door. My first car and 'project' in many ways :p. Has just over 115,000 miles and two owners before me and cost £595. At the moment, money is an issue so the work done to it in the future is most likely going to be minor, as I'm looking for another job when I pass my driving test to fund the bigger stuff.

Mods done:
- SR indicators
- 15" Wolfrace Asia-Tec wheels
- Subaru STi Prodrive gear knob
- Removed 'CD' badging
- Replaced original stickers with Glanza S reproductions
- Few random stickers

DSCF0003_zps377d9a2e.jpg

DSCF0004_zpsf52a0b80.jpg

SR indicators. :D
DSCF0013_zps4aff29f6.jpg

Yes, I know the Glanza sticker is wonky.
DSCF0007_zpsd67b2ad9.jpg

Although it's hard to tell because of the bad quality and lighting, the bonnet is hugely faded. You can also make out that dent and that large rust patch as well.
DSCF0005_zpsc5c3da2c.jpg

That rusty wiper will be something I fix eventually.
DSCF0006_zps6ac1ded1.jpg

Has a sunroof, which is nice as I heard they're usually uncommon for these cars.
DSCF0018_zps26927c69.jpg

The wheels. As you can tell, they're pretty hammered, but for £200 with 4 fairly new tyres from eBay, I can't really complain too much.
DSCF0014_zpsd906f046.jpg

This is the most annoying thing about this car to me. My first mod was to take away these side strips and get a cleaner look, but I had to be unlucky and realised after I'd bought it. This bodge job repair the previous owner had done means I would most likely wreck the door trying to get them off. Lame. <_<
DSCF0008_zps218646d1.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now the interior. The seats are another thing I wanna tackle. Ideally, I want a set of Paseo seats as they use the same factory mounting points as Starlets do, meaning hassle is minimal. Sadly, Paseo parts are hard to come by.
DSCF0009_zps8ee8e12c.jpg

Prodrive gear knob, taken from my dad's old WRX. Replaces the old manky one and looks quite good in my book. :D
DSCF0010_zpsc929aba6.jpg

Still has the stock speakers!
DSCF0012_zpsedaa7f04.jpg

Mods I'm planning:
- Import plates
- TTE backbox
- Lowered springs
- Paseo seats
- New door cards
- New gear gaiter
- Black bonnet (or fix the one I have now and have it carbon wrapped)
- Some sort of front lip
- TTE spoiler (carbon wrapped maybe?)
- Repaint the wipers
- Reflect/'98 Glanza taillights (way too pricey though, will be holding off those for ages)
- Factory Starlet Glanza rear strut brace (rare item, would be cool in a 5-door :D)

That's it for the moment. Any form of criticism is welcome. Cheers!

Edited by INEEDNAWZZZ

Welcome to UKSO mate! my bonnet was the same as yours as well as a faded roof/bootlid, some compound with a machine mop followed by a tcut brings the super red out lovely! not a bad first car though!

got to agree with chris ^^ get them stickers off XD

Thanks guys! :)

Welcome to UKSO mate! my bonnet was the same as yours as well as a faded roof/bootlid, some compound with a machine mop followed by a tcut brings the super red out lovely! not a bad first car though!

got to agree with chris ^^ get them stickers off XD

In fairness, a lot of compund, T-Cut and elbow grease has already brought most of the paint back, without the use of a buffer which actually surprised me. The whole car was like the bonnet when I got it! I think a lot of effort into doing the bonnet and bumper could easily bring it back to a respectful level; I'm just too lazy at the moment. :blush:

As for the Glanza stickers, they've annoyed me slightly since the moment I put them on, mainly because one isn't on straight. They also seem to attract attention; there just always seems to be someone in the car next to me reading them if that makes sense. Ah well, if I decide to keep them or not, it was only £8 either way.

Try some cutting compound with plenty of water, the like of G6.

Definitely get rid of the stickers, maybe put them on when you have a full Glanza kit. But it's like putting 'Evolution' stickers/badges on a bog standard Lancer. But each to their own.

Edit: I remember a fella from NZ did a Glanza rep with a five door, looked quite cool.

Edited by chrisgreen1993

nice project mate I wanted to originally get a 5dr and make a rep,,, i'm taking the kit off mine if your interested the full kit with headlights and bonnet

I'm really strapped for cash at the moment (only have £70 in the bank for the rest of the month!), so I don't think any of the kit would be much good for me right now sadly. :sad:

Cheers guys, the stickers will be gone shortly. :p

aup mate if you want some decent seats theres a pair if GT seats in good condition on gumtree atm for £25 , good luck with the project :thumbsup:

Nice, I'll have to keep an eye on them, thanks for the heads up!

So, the other day I saw a Megane splitter in good condition for just £20, and, well...
splitter_zps2012aa59.jpg

I can't guarantee it'll be on straight away, since I have a mountain of college work to do and in all honesty, that's my biggest priority right now. That said, can't wait to see what it looks like on the car! :D

• 5 months later...

Well, this is a bump and a half! Since my last post, a lot of stuff has gone on with my Starlet... but not in a good way.

I passed my test, so that's something. Then, to get the cheapest insurance possible, I went with a black box policy - at which point the guy who fitted it said I couldn't keep stickers on my car or else I'd be fined (I'd already changed my wheels back to the standards, yet somehow he didn't realise the completely bodged splitter on the car). I was gonna put my wheels back on (undeclared), but just to be on the safe side, decided to sell them off and run on my 13" originals instead.

These were taken about a month and a half a go, but the still looks like this:

Mismatched wheel trims = +10HP
DSCF0020_zpsfdb05c54.jpg

DSCF0022_zps2d1db9e1.jpg

That sticker above the 3rd brake light was given to me by my insurance firm for being a new driver. After they made me take my other ones off. 10/10, would use logic again. It isn't on the car anymore.
DSCF0021_zps1a114ef7.jpg

The crappy splitter. I have left over pieces and its an easy fix, but I've just been way too lazy to fix it. How he didn't consider this an aftermarket mod is beyond me.
DSCF0023_zps02ac9931.jpg

So, that was that. I got an MOT (failed due to a shitty cat, other than that it was fine), and was just gonna drive it around as is and not bother modding anything on it. Unluckily, I had other plans a few weeks later, and decided on a different theme for my car. Rather than making a Glanza rep or some kind of 'stancestickerbombhellayo' style like in my first post, I've decided I'm just going to focus on minor details to keep it subtle... and cheap.

So, the new plan is:

• Body colour mirrors and door handles (debating whether to fit factory items or just paint them myself)
  • Repaint wiper arms (possibly get a Yaris rear wiper)
  • Toyota Yaris T-Sport alloys
  • Repaint the calipers and rocker cover gold (also repaint the drums black, just to stop rust build up)
  • Remove side strips (still need to work out how to get the passenger side one off with those stupid screws)
  • Import plates
  • Fix that splitter

If they become available and at decent prices, I'd also add:

• TTE backbox
  • Corolla manifold
  • Factory Glanza front and rear strut braces
  • Glanza front and rear seats
  • Glanza cupholders
  • Some sort of rear wing
  • Clear side indicators
  • New bonnet

And don't worry, no replica Glanza stickers again. :p So nothing really exciting I'm afraid, but thought I'd give an update anyway. Cheers for reading, as ever, other possible suggestions are welcome!

Looking good mate :) I just got my Starlet last Thursday and have an almost identical dent on the bonnet same side of the badge and everything. Thanks for sharing pics as I've never seen a 5dr Starlet before, didn't even know they existed! Good luck man, keep up the good work! :)

Thanks man, appreciate it! I'll be the first to admit, it really is far from perfect, but who knows, little bit of time and money and it can be looking good! 5 door Starlets seem to be a lot less common than regular 3 doors. They're aren't 'rare', you just don't see them very often if that makes sense. As for the dent, almost every used Starlet I've come across tends to have that, and that blotchy rust patch in the exact same spot as well. I've been meaning to find out why that is.