Red CD 5-door - my first car! (Pic heavy)

Sucks that you have to go to standard bro! But same thing happened with me! They cancelled my policy until everything was standard lol! Now im fully comp with mods! Im 18 with 1Yr Ncb by the way! :)

Im insured with (General Accident) incase you wanna do a quote with them!

However with that being said! i like the face your keeping it and looking after it! All the little bits make the most difference and keep the love for the car there! That and when you can modify it, its less things you need to do! Not about decent wheels with rusty calipers behind lol! :)

Keep the updates coming mate! Wherever Big or Small! :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sucks that you have to go to standard bro! But same thing happened with me! They cancelled my policy until everything was standard lol! Now im fully comp with mods! Im 18 with 1Yr Ncb by the way! :)

Im insured with (General Accident) incase you wanna do a quote with them!

However with that being said! i like the face your keeping it and looking after it! All the little bits make the most difference and keep the love for the car there! That and when you can modify it, its less things you need to do! Not about decent wheels with rusty calipers behind lol! :)

Keep the updates coming mate! Wherever Big or Small! :)

Cheers mate! I'm with Ingenie; they're the ones that they advertise in that little 'First Car' booklet when you pass your theory. Didn't plan on going with them, but they ended up being the cheapest i could find (some others were well past £2,500). Was thinking about Adrian Flux, but they never called back and I couldn't find a way to do a quote online.

Good point about the calipers, haha. They were on my list of priorites to be fair, but since I've changed them back to the steelies, I figured there wouldn't be much point. Who knows, all in good time! As weird as is sounds, I'm actually liking it more than I did with the wheels and the stickers. Now that I've had a chance to mess around putting them on my car and seeing what it looks like, I've decided I much prefer a simple, cleaner look to go with instead.

So today, I actually got off my arse and finally got around to fitting something I bought months ago - my 'track day' fire extinguisher! Will I actually ever attend a track day? Probably not, at least not on this insurance policy. Would my car be any good on a track day? Doubtful. Will I ever use it? Hopefully not. But I do like the look, and it is a cheap and easy mod, so I figured why not? Doubles as a safety device too, so it has a function at least. All I need now is to take those back seats out, get a roll cage and I'm golden! ^_^

fire_zps486dcdff.jpg

Forgot to mention that during my MOT, the mechanic rebuilt my exhaust for free (friend of my dad, so that helps) as well as changing the cat. Doesn't seem any different to drive, other than being a little louder. Also looks like it has some kind of wideband sensor or something running off of it, anyone know what it is? I assumed Starlets ran MAP sensors instead. Sorry if its a dumb question, I'm not very 'in the know' of engine components.

exhaust_zps11361257.jpg

I was with Flux direct for my first year and they pulled my trousers down! Since i payed £4000 For insurance! NO Mods, 3rd Party F+f mind aswell! Now im £107 a month fully comp with mods! Happy days!

Does look a lot cleaner standard mate! As i said its the little things that make the difference! Ive changed my door handles from red to black! Completely changes the look a little lol! Just need my black wheels!

Keep the little updates coming mate! :)

Edited by Starlet-Joshy

Today was nice and sunny, so I decided to give my car a good wash and break out the compound polish to bring back the red shine!

As I was polishing it, I noticed the little bump strips on the doors had come slightly loose - keep in mind that the car is in direct sunlight and its fairly warm - so I tried to to stick it back in place and... it fell off. I'm guessing the glue had become flexible and peeled it away slightly. This was great news though, because now I finally had a reason to get around to taking them all off and making it look heaps better! Most of the glue is still there, so I need to heat it up and clean it off, but I'll do that once its cooled down a bit, but I'm still happy with it and can't wait to see it when its all tidied up! :D

Here's some pics of it looking all shiny and new (well, sort of).

Admittedly, the front still looks pretty poor, but I gave it my best shot, and thats without owning a buffer either.
removed2_zps7f21ce52.jpg

Mum's Abarth photobombing at the back there. :p
removed3_zpsd6fc4a39.jpg

The back always ends up looking the best for some reason.
removed4_zpsa0b2073c.jpg

removed1_zps5502a9e1.jpg

If you look at my first post in the thread, I mentioned the previous owner decided to reattach the bump strips back on the passenger door using regular screws. I was a bit worried about taking them out in case it fucked my door and paint, but had no choice since I'd already taken the rest off. Bit of WD40 and this was the result:

hole1_zpsd92f6b2f.jpg

hole2and3_zpsc1d360da.jpg

I'm so pleased its just tiny, barely noticable holes instead of massive, gaping craters, and that the paint is fine underneath. :thumbsup: Obviously I still need to bung them up with something though - filler and touch up paint would be the best solution overall, but it seems unnecessary buying and prepping for three little holes. Anyone got any other ideas?

Oh, and I kerbed my wheel trim. Sad times. :sad:
trim_zps1ef48700.jpg

Might pop to Halfords and buy their 'Value' wheel trims; they're ugly for sure, but they sort of look similar to the standard ones, will be all matching and will be decent value for money until some decent alloys come up or something.

I wouldn't bother spending money on wheel trims buddy, just use them for what they are at the moment, and snap up some decent alloys if some come for sale on here that are local :)

I personally prefer the bump strips on, If you haven't bent yours taking them off, get the painted red and stick them back on.

I wouldn't bother spending money on wheel trims buddy, just use them for what they are at the moment, and snap up some decent alloys if some come for sale on here that are local :)

I personally prefer the bump strips on, If you haven't bent yours taking them off, get the painted red and stick them back on.

I was thinking of painting them red at one point, just because I was bricking it about getting those screws off. Bit surprised how easily the strips came off using nothing but sunlight, haha. And the strips are in the bin I'm afraid. Personally I really like it without them - its a simple and free update, and looks cleaner to me. :) Well, it will do when the glue is gone!

The wheel trims aren't bad from a distance, and to be fair, they've all been kerbed quite badly at some point, so its not a huge issue I guess. Still holding out for Yaris T-Sport wheels, but I'm not really sure they'd fill the arches up too well?

Just roll on steels mate ;) and when I took my bumpstrips off I found on the wing they'd painted over the glue so it all cracked and now have a massive white patch!

Ah that sucks pal! I saw some glue the last owner had put on when I took the first screw out and thought 'fuck, this is where my door gets wrecked'. Then I realised it peeled off with the rest of the normal stuff, so that saved me a mini heart attack!

Have been really tempted with the whole 'track slag' look recently and going on steels instead. Who knows, might try out painting and prep for the first time and just blast them in black.

• 2 weeks later...
Thought I'd give this a quick update. The biggest news is that I've got a factory GT Turbo/Glanza strut brace from Glanza-Ben on its way! Not sure how well it will improve handling, but either way, it will look good in my engine bay and hopefully make it less like a boat on roundabouts!

Other small updates are that the holes in the door are patched up, and that nearly all the glue from the bump strips are gone! Also got a hold of some paint to freshen up my mirror mounts, front and rear wipers as well as my scuttle panel. I've got exams for the next two weeks, so any progress on my car will be halted since that's my priority right now. Once they're out of the way, I can concentrate on a bit more modding and getting a job to fund some bigger stuff! Watch this space!

Edited by INEEDNAWZZZ

Thought I'd give this a quick update. The biggest news is that I've got a factory GT Turbo/Glanza strut brace from Glanza-Ben on its way! Not sure how well it will improve handling, but either way, it will look good in my engine bay and hopefully make it less like a boat on roundabouts!

Other small updates are that the holes in the door are patched up, and that nearly all the glue from the bump strips are gone! Also got a hold of some paint to freshen up my mirror mounts, front and rear wipers as well as my scuttle panel. I've got exams for the next two weeks, so any progress on my car will be halted since that's my priority right now. Once they're out of the way, I can concentrate on a bit more modding and getting a job to fund some bigger stuff! Watch this space!

Strut braces Imo are very very good' ran one on both my starlets and makes them hold so we'll into the corners' less roll!

Nice to hear updates!

And good luck with your exams mate! :)

Cheers pal!

Good to hear about the strut brace. I wanted a really cheap way of improving the handling without going down the route of lowered springs or better tyres, so I thought a strut brace was a good, subtle way of doing it! I'll know for sure in a few weeks! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

'Supdates!

Firstly, my UKSO stickers are here!

DSCF0019_zps9e2df0e8.jpg

And my strut brace has arrived too! Will be sprayed back to black at some point in the future (still got this weeks exams), but I actually really like it with the blue and might keep it like that. Actually amazed at how much difference it makes; I was guessing it would only really help on very tight bends, but you can feel the difference even on slight curves. Very impressed. Big thanks to Glanza-Ben for sending and packaging it so well!

DSCF0020_zpsd970d076.jpg

Quick 'beauty shot' I took whilst out and about. And yes, the Mid Night 'decal' is just a cutout. :p

75b44861-35c8-48dd-a1e2-662db520798b_zps

Also have some good and bad news.

Good: College is done! No more exams or anything ever! Which means my little nugget here will be getting some love. Might spray the front grill black first, but I'm not sure. Opinions?

Bad: I scraped my rear bumper after trying to reverse into my garage. And it is very noticeable. There's definitely way worse damaged panels out there, but still frustrated at both the damage and myself. Might post a pic later or something.

Quick 'beauty shot' I took whilst out and about. And yes, the Mid Night 'decal' is just a cutout. :p

75b44861-35c8-48dd-a1e2-662db520798b_zps

Also have some good and bad news.

Good: College is done! No more exams or anything ever! Which means my little nugget here will be getting some love. Might spray the front grill black first, but I'm not sure. Opinions?

Bad: I scraped my rear bumper after trying to reverse into my garage. And it is very noticeable. There's definitely way worse damaged panels out there, but still frustrated at both the damage and myself. Might post a pic later or something.

Like the sticker, Looks good!

Glad the exams are done!, i got college work to do myself, but genuinely cba! need to get it done though! :p

Get a pic up of the bumper!, I left my handbrake off the other week and it rolled into a wall lol, cant be that bad :)

DSCF0006_zps5cf0884d.jpg

Not the best picture, but it does the job. It isn't really that bad in hindsight, I think I was just pissed off at myself for doing it in the first place. And to be fair, that side of the bumper had a lot of small scuffs anyway, so it isn't as though its a massive setback. Hell, it gives me more of a reason to buy a Glanza bumper instead! :D

Cheers about the sticker, even though that one is just a paper cut out being held on by Blu-Tack. :p Seems stupid, but I did it to test whether or not I liked the look of it on there, which I do, so I might be getting a real one in the near future.

Its not that bad! ;P, More of a reason to get a glanza bumper as you said!, I would swap mine, but my glanza one is a little battered also! I want a standard red one, as gonna make some mad diffuser thing lol!

Sticker does look good mate lol! Get one made! :)

Right, finally got around to spraying my strut brace back to black. Not the best job, but it's not too bad considering it's my first ever try painting with spray cans! Only one run in it, and its on the bottom, so it isn't even visible. Also, the flash was on, so it makes the middle look like its unpainted when it actually is. Looks way stealthier and standard - which is the point. :D

DSCF0004_zps0557d33a.jpg

Yeah man, engine is in need of some love for sure! Wanna concentrate on the exterior mostly, but I do have a few plans for it.

Whenever I get new wheels, I'm gonna get some gold paint for the calipers (STI Brembo style), and I'm also gonna use that for the rocker cover as well. Don't know when that'll be, but I'd prefer to do all of that in one go!

Yeah man, engine is in need of some love for sure! Wanna concentrate on the exterior mostly, but I do have a few plans for it.

Whenever I get new wheels, I'm gonna get some gold paint for the calipers (STI Brembo style), and I'm also gonna use that for the rocker cover as well. Don't know when that'll be, but I'd prefer to do all of that in one go!

Sounds good man! My current callipers are gold, but gonna spay red as I think it looks better! :p

look forward to updates! :)

:thumbsup:

trying to do exams and mod a car is stressful as shite! I remember doing my A levels and tryna take my old yaris out to shows was giving me feckin aneurysms, spending like one hour a night polishing, then the rest revising haha.

keep at it though! only seen one 5 door starlet ever in real life haha, never mind a modded one! Must admit a five door would be so handy for picking up drunk friends who seem to struggle with the pretty basic mechanism for popping the front passenger seat forward.

the first time I painted something with spray cans, it had to be rubbed down and redone because it was so bad... so well done!

if you're looking a set of yaris t-sport wheels you should check out Yaris Club UK. A lot of overpricing and poor form from the members but if you get one of the decent guys selling you'll get them cheaper there than anywhere else, I'd say!

Keep the updates coming, this looks like it could turn out a lil different than most which is never a bad thing!

Sounds good man! My current callipers are gold, but gonna spay red as I think it looks better! :p

look forward to updates! :)

Cheers dude! Was thinking the usual red, but decided for gold like they have on STI Brembos to be a bit different! Can't go wrong with red calipers though, everyone knows they make your car faster! :p

:thumbsup:

trying to do exams and mod a car is stressful as shite! I remember doing my A levels and tryna take my old yaris out to shows was giving me feckin aneurysms, spending like one hour a night polishing, then the rest revising haha.

keep at it though! only seen one 5 door starlet ever in real life haha, never mind a modded one! Must admit a five door would be so handy for picking up drunk friends who seem to struggle with the pretty basic mechanism for popping the front passenger seat forward.

the first time I painted something with spray cans, it had to be rubbed down and redone because it was so bad... so well done!

if you're looking a set of yaris t-sport wheels you should check out Yaris Club UK. A lot of overpricing and poor form from the members but if you get one of the decent guys selling you'll get them cheaper there than anywhere else, I'd say!

Keep the updates coming, this looks like it could turn out a lil different than most which is never a bad thing!

Yeah, its tough to prioritise as stupid as that sounds. The way I looked at it was that good exam results mean a better job, which means more money for mods! :D Glad they're all over now though, love having all this free time!

To be honest, I kind of lost interest in the first few months of having it, since I didn't think I could make a 5-door look good or turn it into a decent Glanza rep (original plan). After taking all the stickers off and the Wolfraces, I realised I had a blank canvas then and decided to just keep it subtle, clean and make it sort of tough looking!

As a 5-door, it's actually pretty crap; I can't think of anybody who could get their legs in behind the seats, even when they're all the way forward. My guess is the 5-door was only really meant for small families (with a child seat, etc.), not really for putting fully sized people in there. Ah well, didn't buy it for practicality anyway!

Undecided on the T-Sport alloys. On the one hand, I think they'd be pretty good and quite different. On the other, I do like the look of standard Glanza or GT wheels. One thing is for sure though; either of those options is better than mismatched wheel trims! :p

Also, sorry for the late replies! Computer decided to shit itself, so have been out of reach for a while. Currently sorting out an apprenticeship, which (if I get it) means a steady income which means more stuff! :thumbsup: