You can always start with plywood for a template and make a "proper" one later.

I'm trying to suss out where the best place to mount heavy duty brackets on our cars would be.. Any ideas?

Nah I mean I'd use it for a while and when I can afford to, make one out of aluminium or something

Would it not need to be mounted further back than the crossmember? Eg if I wanted to extend the splitter as far behind the engine as possible upto the wheels

Yeah that's why I'm not fussed on wood, as long as it works

It would be more for function yeah. Dan I've seen Corey and Jay's I think they both have the Carbon Mods one, which doesn't really extend far enough back. I'll take a look at Mark's.

I would run the strut centre supports but the tricky bit is figuring out where to put brackets to support a fair bit of weight. Average wooden splitter is about 10-15kg. And the common consensus is it should be able to support more weight on top of that and not flex.

With crossmember mounting, I'm thinking if the splitter was to extend further back, the would be nothing to tack the rear of it to the car, and it may flap about? But then again if you create an aluminium/plastic sheet to bridge the gap between the splitter and bumper, air flow would only really go on the front of the splitter and not way back causing it to wobble the back?

I started making a splitter for the RX8, i made the template but never the real thing.

I need something which is easy to remove - preferably some kind of design which means i wont have to use tools. I came up with a solution for the back but not for the front. Back to the drawing board.

8465771123_2783754749_c.jpg

8465772513_5c3d69741e_z.jpg

8438914020_c75481c0c0_z.jpg

i was going to bolt it to the gearbox mount but it would be such a pain in the ass to take on and off all the time (i need to remove bumper to put the car on the recovery truck)

I'm going to see if i can fabricate some brackets which will bolt it to the chassis legs.

Plus i still need to get some alumalite sheets from work

i was going to bolt it to the gearbox mount but it would be such a pain in the ass to take on and off all the time (i need to remove bumper to put the car on the recovery truck)

I'm going to see if i can fabricate some brackets which will bolt it to the chassis legs.

Plus i still need to get some alumalite sheets from work

Yeah I see what you mean! Is alumalite expensive? Wouldn't be too bothered about running a wooden one for a while tbh

Yep they are really handy. Perfect for front cross member and floor pans. The cheap ones off ebay work ok

I'd heard of rivnuts but didn't know they could be used for stuff like this!

Either of you guys up for helping me make a splitter sometime in Easter? :p

The majority of race cars use marine ply for their splitters because as you would imagine it's water proof, Absolutely useless on the road, so unless you've exhausted the cars performance on track, then adding aero should be last on the list, as should adding power but let's not get started with that one. Another thing, for your aero parts to be effective they need to be low to the ground, really low to the ground, again making them useless for the road.

CAD_5470.jpg

That's a friend of mine, the aero is proven to work, he's added splitter, entire flat floor, diffuser, rear wing, etc.

I'll see how I get on, got an idea in mind of making a height adjustable splitter. I can always remove it for road if need be!

I've done a fair few handling mods, power is sufficient for now and brakes are good. Some polybushing and bracing is next on the cards and following that without spending big bucks, (at least some) aero is the next step. I've not got the cash to buy an extra set of wheels and track tyres for example :(