Stripping out a Ep91 HELP??

I just got sick of thinking that the sound of that stone ringing round my arch was probably something falling off!

Its great being stripped rite out when when your in the mood but as a daily, with a passenger you actually want to talk to.......it wasn't for me!

Plus its cold as shit in there this time of year!

Also in the rain it sounds like the water is gushing straight into the car when driving. I also didn't like the empty look in the back. And I like the possibility of carrying passengers.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motion i would happily pay you to make me one for my 91 glanza !!?

i think the shipping from germany would be to expensive. ....i will have a look if i can find the lost pictures, with these it is really easy

I don't know which pictures are missing but I can explain what he did.

He made a rough cardboard template smaller then the actual floor. Then he put that in the car and with stripes of cardboard which he glued on the base he modelled the inside of the car. This full template was then put on a wooden plate to draw the actual needed size on that. Cut it out, flatten every protruding edge and glue some carpet or similar on it. Done.

At least as far as I remember.

I'm tempted to go full balls out and do the roof lining all the plastics etc it's a big decision but you only live once lol really unsure every bit of weight saving makes that bit difference.....

Edited by Gainzy

no roof lining and carpet is just horrid. tinny cold, condensation is a nightmare. just dont break it when you remove it as i'd put money on you being fed up within 3 weeks if its driven often.

Lol I'm already half way there I don't want to go too far and spoil it suppose it's light enough as it is I just think it's half arsed I like to go all or nothing lol

Well, for better drivability (in my opinion) I will go the opposite way. I will add weight to the back in form of a subwoofer and changing the plastics for perfect fitted wood pieces. Should put some weight on the ass to stop it oversteering in fastercorners. Had a few 180s where I didn't want them. Very scary.

Well, for better drivability (in my opinion) I will go the opposite way. I will add weight to the back in form of a subwoofer and changing the plastics for perfect fitted wood pieces. Should put some weight on the ass to stop it oversteering in fastercorners. Had a few 180s where I didn't want them. Very scary.

ooooh mate when you need more weight in the back to reduce the 180s you got another problem ....reduce speed could be one option! :)

Martin, eine Brücke bei uns hat den Asphalt so glatt, dass bei Regen selbst mit 20km/h Brückenabwärts das Heck noch ausbrechen kann. Auf die Brücke rauf war ich mit ca 30 unterwegs, war aber auch einer der ersten Tage mit dem Starlet. Aber insgesamt scheint das Heck bei meinem gerne mal rumkommen zu wollen, ganz ehrlich, keine Ahnung warum.

Short for all: don't know the reason why but my starlet likes throwing it's back around while cornering, even at lower speeds.

I'm tempted to go full balls out and do the roof lining all the plastics etc it's a big decision but you only live once lol really unsure every bit of weight saving makes that bit difference.....

It's weather you want a wet head or 0.00000005 hp more :p

I know which one I'd rather (or rather not have) :D

I have a rear cage to go in and a c pillar bar next month that should hold the back end down lol think I will just leave it how it is need some top notch tyres on the back lower the psi, hate the thought of tail wobble suppose that's why the big ass Jam wings on there for haha :)

Well I've got my sound proofing and heat insulating. Will be fitting it tomorrow. Will give you's an update on how much of a difference it makes. As well the back end is quite light. I'm going to relocate the battery into the wheel well at some point to try and distribute a little bit more weight. I also dropped the rear tyre pressure to 26 and it made a big difference on handling as don't need it as high with it being so light

JLF, that's my point. The rear end on the car is way too light and the usual behaviour on here is: Strip everything, most weight is shed from the rear. Add weight to the front (big turbo, piggyback, intercooler etc). I would rather make the whole car a bit heavier for better handling. Also I have a sunroof so if I strip the car I have the center of mass higher up in the car. If I put a bit more weight in the boot I have the weight more to the middle and all in all a bit lower. The downside of course is a higher weight in total.

That is so true. Need a more balanced and lower centre of gravity. I'm considering doing a dual battery as well just to add a slight bit more further at the back. Not much in it but that slight bit off the front and added to the rear makes a difference on something so light. All that weight at the front isn't ideal imo. Gonna try and move as much as I can (fuse box etc) from the front and shift it to the back, and lighten the front more to compensate for the back being lighter (non pas rack) as don't really need it with the car being so light

I've never really felt my rear end being light at all. It's always been fairly planted even back in 1.3 days.

Only 2 times I've had the rear go light was on a slippery as hell roundabout that a few mates said the same thing and the other time was when I went though the bomb hole on Snetterton in 4th off the throttle. So that instance I wasn't surprised

I remember when I first took the seats out the car felt that bit faster and more stable I do feel abit worried attacking corners at high speeds but I suppose it's all down to weather conditions and the actual road your driving, with some great tyres that could make the difference I have always thought relocating the battery was a good idea for balance but you could need that weight at the front to put the power down that bit more, I have no idea how people run over 250hp and use it's full potential pushing them around corners lol coilovers set hard on the back with a panhard rod will keep the back end stable and firm imo steady braking :)

Well I got it stripped and soundproofed. Haven't had it out yet to try it but it does feel warmer. Not finished yet, need to stick it down properly and seal the connection. But here's a couple pics.

513A6209-7DA5-46D8-879F-C1B60B965C8A_zps

8D68BFE9-C027-4A52-9080-0E115900A6E3_zps

05010D3E-0EDC-41F0-806A-7AC42C6A88E5_zps

Contemplating spraying all the plastics black as well