Provisional driving license

Hi all, last week I decided to apply for my provisional license and I was aware I had to pay the fee of £50. I searched it on google and I clicked on the first link like an idiot thinking that it would be the right one. I submitted all my details and paid the £50 totally un aware that this was some rubbish website. I then received a letter on Friday from "drivinglicense.uk.com" with a two more document attached. One of them being a form which had most of my details filled in but I needed to attach a photograph of my self and sign two boxes. I then completed this to look back at the letter from "drivinglicense.uk.com" which stated at the bottom "you must include a cheque or postal order for £50 with the payment being made to "DVLA, Swansea". What should I do? I study LAW at college and I'm sure I can report them to the trading standards as I'm sure a lot of other people must have been scammed too. I have now been on the phone to them for 45minutes in the que waiting to speak to there customer service department to try and get a refund. I was first in the que (I had been first in the que for about 15minutes) and they have cut the call. I'm so annoyed, should I write a letter to trading standards? Any one know what I could do? (Please don't comment if your comment is irrelevant and won't help me)

You paid them for a "service" as it says, then they send it to the DVLA which costs another £50.

"Our online service acts as an agent processing the application and provides a complete checking service, this service will fill out the form on your behalf and send it to you. You will then need to submit this form to the DVLA, along with any fee that may be payable to them."

But I don't understand? They haven't done anything? I filled in all the information and all they have done is filled in the information i gave them into the form and sent it to me? I wish I never rushed into getting a provisional license, stabbed myself in the back ffs.

I must say it was very misleading as it was the first link

Edited by Aamir

But I don't understand? They haven't done anything? I filled in all the information and all they have done is filled in the information i gave them into the form and sent it to me? I wish I never rushed into getting a provisional license, stabbed myself in the back ffs.

I must say it was very misleading as it was the first link

As it says, you send them your details and they fill it out for you, yeah it is very misleading it is but you must read things properly before! Lesson learnt here I think.. ;)

My girlfriend did a similar thing with her driving test, luckily she paid on a credit card so cancelled it straight away. The companies offering the driving tests (not official) have been mentioned by trading standards and there is action you can take against them.That is very similar to this so sure there is something you can do

As it says, you send them your details and they fill it out for you, yeah it is very misleading it is but you must read things properly before! Lesson learnt here I think.. ;)

Indeed, hopefully I will never have to apply again(if I loose my license). I just want to drive. Such a bad urge its unreal.

My girlfriend did a similar thing with her driving test, luckily she paid on a credit card so cancelled it straight away. The companies offering the driving tests (not official) have been mentioned by trading standards and there is action you can take against them.That is very similar to this so sure there is something you can do

I feel the pain mate, at least she got her money back though. My money has gone, I should start a new business and do the same. Would make a fucking fortune.

Gutted for you mate, you should of got the form from the post office filled it in yourself and then the post office will check it all over for you for like £5

I didn't know where to get the form from, so I thought id do it online as it would be quicker. Proper annoyed now though. Money could have been spent elsewhere

I filled in my card details and they took the money straight away

debit card i guess?

If you're buying a service, such as gym membership or a cleaning service, you can usually cancel up to seven working days from the day after you enter into the contract.

But there are some contracts you can’t cancel simply because you change your mind, including:

contracts for transport and some leisure services to be provided on a specific date eg hotel bookings, flights, car hire, concert and other event tickets

contracts for services where you agreed to the service starting before the seven working days has expired - as long as the seller has provided all the information detailed above

If the seller has failed to comply with the requirements to provide information, Distance Selling Regulations mean that your right to cancel doesn’t end until seven working days from the day after the seller does comply.

This is up to a maximum of three months and seven working days from when you placed your order.

Although, be aware that this doesn't apply to specific date contracts for transport services and events.

debit card i guess?If you're buying a service, such as gym membership or a cleaning service, you can usually cancel up to seven working days from the day after you enter into the contract.But there are some contracts you cant cancel simply because you change your mind, including:contracts for transport and some leisure services to be provided on a specific date eg hotel bookings, flights, car hire, concert and other event ticketscontracts for services where you agreed to the service starting before the seven working days has expired - as long as the seller has provided all the information detailed aboveIf the seller has failed to comply with the requirements to provide information, Distance Selling Regulations mean that your right to cancel doesnt end until seven working days from the day after the seller does comply.This is up to a maximum of three months and seven working days from when you placed your order.Although, be aware that this doesn't apply to specific date contracts for transport services and events.

Who should I contact In order to get my money back? I'm not ringing that company again as I've already used £5 of my credit just try and get in touch with them. Could I contact my bank? (HSBC) and tell them about the whole situation? It's been 6 working days since the payment has been sent

Edited by Aamir

I'm not sure tbh, i think its difficult for a bank to cancel a direct debit transaction. You'd probably have to speak them tbh, google their number and there are often sites that give you an alternative number thats cheaper to ring. If they refuse to cancel get on to citizens advice

I'm not sure tbh, i think its difficult for a bank to cancel a direct debit transaction. You'd probably have to speak them tbh, google their number and there are often sites that give you an alternative number thats cheaper to ring. If they refuse to cancel get on to citizens advice

Ill give it a try mate, thanks for all the help. If not ill ask my law teacher as well to see if there is anything I can do about it

Edited by Aamir

There's a certain department of the bank you need to ring, they'll send you a form to fill out with all the details of what happened. If they think you're entitled to a refund they will refund you after about a month. Unlikely here though. Robbing cunts! Best bet is trading standards and they'll tell you whether they can help, ring Citizens Advice Bureau first though and they'll tell you what steps to take.