I've had my starlet for a good 7-8 months now and Its had this noise as long as I remember, when I start it up there's a sort of rattling noise but it used to go after It'd had been warmed up. A friend of mine identified the problem as the crankshaft pulley, it appears to wobble side to side and that's supposedly what causes the noise, and up until recently it's been fine but now it constantly rattles, hot or cold and I can hear it when I'm driving where as I couldn't before. Any ideas as to whether it is in fact the pulley and if so how I can fix the problem?

Thanks in advance Sam

Sure it hasn't got forged pistons? They tend to rattle when cold.

It won't be the pulley itself, it will be the woodruff key, although if left untreated for a period of time it may well have fucked the pulley as well.

I have this problem too but it's only for about a second when started up from cold a loud rattle when first started then it goes strange if you ask me, also when I pull off very slowly there's a rattle coming from somewhere in the engine feels like the exhaust when pulling away but that seems firmly solid and tight when looked? Any ideas for myself and sam?

Thanks Pat

Ps am in Brighton here Sam nice to see another local starlet

@adamb I'm fairly sure it doesn't have forged pistons, I got it completely standard off an older fella. Would that be causing the pulley to wobble side to side? Also if I put the heaters on full blast whether hot or cold it causes it to rattle considerably more.

@patman I'm thinking of taking a drive down south sometime soon, so would be good to meet some fellow starlet owners. Haven't really seen any from around here although possibly a moderator on here is from near me? Brighton isn't far from crawley though and haven't been to the beach in many years.

The pulleys arent solid metal. The metal connected metal by a band of rubber. When the rubber breals down or starts to come unstuck the rattle starts. At idle you can see the wobble. You might even see scrapes on the plastic timing belt cover. At a guess id say when the heater and lights are on full theres more power draw on the altenator whuch is driven by a belt from the crank pulley. This is happening more and more on turbo and non turbo cars. Youve loads of options here but either way get er fixed soon as u can. You can see a broken pulley in my build thread

@rmsnoel Do you know of anyone where I can source said part? It didn't really bother me at first but now it is getting quite loud and annoying. So just want to fix it up.

@symoep91 Seems all normal to me, but it's an old car with stiff suspension so what defines normal is debatable really aha

You sure it's not the water pump making the noise? That would cause a noise. If the crank pulley is wabling around it could be the rubber breaking up. They don't tend to make a rattle tho. You can check the crank pulley buy putting a line of tipex down the pully and then drive it for a bit. See if the tipex marks line up after. But I would start off by taking the aux belt off and feeling the pulleys by hand

@patman I'm thinking of taking a drive down south sometime soon, so would be good to meet some fellow starlet owners. Haven't really seen any from around here although possibly a moderator on here is from near me? Brighton isn't far from crawley though and haven't been to the beach in many years.

Yes mate can meet up for sure there's a good few from sussex on here so your not alone

• 2 months later...

Have the same thing here but not as bad - just rang toyota and got part number for inner pulley of:

£160 + vat - erm ... nope! :(

Edited by micrat

Willl try welding mine and report back...had a saxo with the same prob that we welded and balanced...lasted a year (probably longer but the car was sold on) tiny bit of vibration but no worse than when it was flapping all over the place and broken!

Edited by micrat