what are 5efhe rods good for?

Ive been making plans for my 5efhe engine, and was wondering what the stock beefier rods are good for power wise. i was gonna aim for somewhere round the 250 mark with a tf035, will they be up to it?

Ive just bought some forged 74.5mm je forged pistons, fte valvesprings, new valve stem seals, and a spanking new oem 1.2mm headgasket for my 5e. the plan is lighten, balance and machine every possible stock moving part ie crank, flywheel, pulley wheels to go with this, along with a couple more new consumables like bearings and gaskets. the turbo is gonna be a tf035 pushing as much torque all over the rev range as possible to make a daily driver response machine. what do peeps recon i can get from that sort of build, i was hoping for around 250 at the wheels.

very much doable indeed :) get a acis manni to help spool the bigger hairdryer

your good to go for that power (that you want). :)

This is good to hear :D. im also going to do alot of my own machine work on the cylinderhead, to make the engine breathe as efficiently as possible.

isn't a tf035 smaller than a td04L? it may not be possible to get 250whp out of that size turbo

i can say that a Td04L on a 5e is a nice combination for everyday usable response/power. may get u around 200-225whp with a great torque curve

that 247whp was on shaved 5efhe pistons and stock rev limiter at 18/19 psi on a gt28rs

iirc it was a mix of pump and race gas to stop detonation as the local pump gas was very very low quality

a tf035 is a tdo4 with a smaller exhaust turbine iirc, the plan was to have a fast spooling turbo with punch below 3k and a high compression ratio and other internal work to try and bring the power up at the other end. got the forged oversized pistons now, and some fte valvesprings. starting to accumulate the bits i need. anyone know if a standard gt turbo or 'learning' aftermarket ecu would fuel my proposed set up well?

• 2 weeks later...

the tdo4L from the subaru on a 5e gives a great power band for everyday usage...very responsive.

you will need to get a proper tune for your set up (fuel and ignition)...so at minimum an emu, or go standalone

the 5e flows pretty good for a small engine, so having too small and exhaust housing will be a restriction