Hey,

Before anyone say dont bother you will blow it up. I dont care. I have other engines to replace it.

ALSO - I will be getting my car mapped by a professional when i have my 5e built so dont assume i am trying to dodge an important part of setting up my car correctly.

You have to start somewhere and although this will never be anything i want to explore to its full potential i would like to attain some knowledge as its my car and i want to know whats going on in its head ;).

I have been studying this for a year or two but only this year thought about having a bash of it myself..

I have bought an emanage blue (not fantastic but simple enough for me to understand)

Does anyone have any tips on where to start in regards to starlets? I have read plenty on other cars and studied maps but mostly they are from the US and based on Miata's/MX5's.

If you wish to PM me thats cool! I wont be starting for another week or so as the car needs a few finishing touches but i will throw up my progress when i do :)

Any assistance appreciated!

I would have gone with something like a megasquirt personally. Cheap and a full standalone unit, you will never understand fully what the hell is going on with a piggyback.

Providing you understand how an engine works, what causes rich and lean situation, a long with understanding how knock is created and the ways to go about dealing with it you'll be fine. But theres a lot more to it than just plugging some numbers in a table.

Oh and when you get round to it, spend a lot more time tuning the bottom end of the map rather than the top end because this is where the engine is most likely to sit on a day to day basis in the like 2000-4500rpm range.

Thanks mate :)

Yeah ive only gone with emanage due to being cheap and easy to fit. I did think about megasquirt but that is a lot more involved and does end up a lot more cost wise when you add everything up.

wait till trippelj sorts the stock coil setup only 1 vr neaded then i can start on my squrter to :) and destroy a few na engines there only 100e a pop ere :)

indeed it be great if j,s mod on the dizzy works wont have to mes with anything in the bay atall just a jumper harness on the ecu socket to the miss squirter :) as a stand alone

This sounds really interesting Colin

I was looking into megasquirt but the main thing that put me off was how rubbish the integration is with the stock ignition system!

I'd love to so some more reading if you have a link

im waiting on j , he will reveal al on tgtt trisk i dunno if he is a member on ere ????

u are spot on its a real bollox to get it to work on the external coil setup !!!! thats why my squirter is still in the box un assembled ha ha the real cunt is the 2nd vr

if js works it only neads 1 vr and off we alll go then

invest in a set of det cans to help your pic up knock. you can build the cheap "do it yourself" set

http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/95756-diy-electronic-detonation-detection-det-cans-under-25-dollars.html

http://www.miataturbo.net/ecus-tuning-54/another-electronic-det-can-example-61616/page2/

i combined those two to make a set...the stud ring makes it much more simple to install and secure

seems to work good enough for what it is

or even cheaper yet

http://www.gtrpwr.com/showthread.php?t=1589

Am here Colin, yeah I just finished my megasquirt plug in harness we will see shortly how the dizzy Mod works, the megasquirt will run on the stock dizzy no problem as long as u have 2 vr sensors on board your megasquirt, u can get a diy kit for the 2nd vr sensor, the dizzy Mod am doing uses 1 vr sensor, u grind out 2 teeth 180 degrees apart on your 24 toothed wheel, this will detect tdc as the cam rotates half the speed of the crank, a bit of wheel decoder settings in mega tune and other setting to associate tdc tooth, it should be good.

Edited by triple j

I made up the hearing aid one with the mike extended to an alligator clip then clip it on the block. i can listen through my radio through aux port, the det cans are better but for road mapping i like my hearing aid lol, i would advise not to use the injector correction first time tuning the emanage just use the stock injectors. it will be less hassle for u to get good afr.