athena headgasket correct fitment

ok guys I think I may have made a rookie mistake and fitted my athena headgasket the wrong way round.

cam anyone confirm which way round it should go as im sure the way it comes in the packet is the correct way round but comfirmed tonight mine was fitted opposite way round any help is more than welcomed as I want to get it right this time

lol i made the same mistake, if its upside down when you start it, it will piss out oil (loads of it) from the bottom left corner of the block, its an easy mistake to make. The little metal circle tab if i remember right should be poking out on the bottom right side of the block by the tab.

lol i made the same mistake, if its upside down when you start it, it will piss out oil (loads of it) from the bottom left corner of the block, its an easy mistake to make. The little metal circle tab if i remember right should be poking out on the bottom right side of the block by the tab.

craig you always got tons of build pics don't u have one with Athena fitted right way round ?

right guys ignore the oil in the bores just checking the rings are all tip top condition.

but this is the the Athena hg was fitted originally is this wrong or right ??

de733ee6-a705-43f0-bd80-6c87e6d834ed_zps

Edited by russ78

Why do you think you put it on upside down in the first place? That actually looks the correct way, see what i mean about the gold circle tab on the bottom right corner, if you put it on upside down that would be on the left.

Edited by Taggy

that is the correct way. after rebuilding my engine I put it all back together and mine was leaking along the front I think there a shit design where they go around the oil way turned out my headgasket was faulty so managed to get another one under warranty and was fine then.

that is the correct way. after rebuilding my engine I put it all back together and mine was leaking along the front I think there a shit design where they go around the oil way turned out my headgasket was faulty so managed to get another one under warranty and was fine then.

I think there is some truth in this packaging is totally changed now as well

Why do you think you put it on upside down in the first place? That actually looks the correct way, see what i mean about the gold circle tab on the bottom right corner, if you put it on upside down that would be on the left.

yeah I see what u mean about the tabs so I did have it on correctly ??

Dont worry about which way it comes in the packet, that will be irrelevant. Its just important that the oil way is on the correct side on the left, by the look of that picture though that is correct. I have however had problems with Athena gaskets not sealing the block and head properly.

I took mine off and put the Toyota OEM one back on as i had oil weeping around the block.

Make sure it torques down properly, oil/grease up the threads before putting the head bolts in to ensure you get a proper torque down on them, also dont forget to do it in the correct sequence :)