Got a td04 kit here I am eventually going to get an emanage blue and remap from tunning developments but waiting to mot runs out to pass for the year as theres no friendly mechanics round my way can the td04 be run on standard ecu the boy I bought It off had a fpr fitted and adjusted a bit but that's all that has been done.

Cheers

I'm currently in the process of going down the same route. From what I've been told, you should be cool to run 0.8 bar max with the stock ecu, as long as you have an uprated fuel pump. Just make sure you have the fueling checked on a r/r or have a wideband.

The rrfpr and fcd setup albeit crude, has been tried and tested for eons. I don't understand why people are always quick to say that they're shit.

In the wrong hands, I agree your cars a ticking time bomb, but if setup correctly have always worked fine.

The wastegate I have has a 0.7 bar spring in it not sure what the fuelings set at I will need to look at the fpr, I also have a uprated fuel pump, would I need a wideband or would it be safe enuff until I got her an emanage and remapped?

Edited by Dusty

The wastegate I have has a 0.7 bar spring in it not sure what the fuelings set at I will need to look at the fpr, I also have a uprated fuel pump, would I need a wideband or would it be safe enuff until I got her an emanage and remapped?

The member who I bought my turbo kit off was running 0.8 bar wastegate pressure and made 187bhp with a walbro pump. Said it fuelled perfectly, but he had a wideband to keep and eye on things.

indeed beyond 7 psi a rrfpr is neaded and a wideband to keep an eye on things is a must dont fit a fcd if you are not going beyond 12 psi

Ok cool. So what sort of afrs should I be getting with this setup? And what afrs are bad/lean? I was just going to head to my local r/r to have the fueling checked, but the wideband seems like a worthwhile investment either way.

The problem is that an FCD was mentioned and they affect timing and make the ecu think there is less air coming into the engine which adjusts the rest of the map also. You then fix it using a rrfpr because the injection time has dropped due to fcd so increasing fuel pressure works. But then you have the problem where your increasing the pressure as the boost raises and you end up running rich.

So you drop it down but end up running too lean down low. You find a happy medium but your still overfueling somewhere and robbing yourself of power..

Thats why this stuff isnt liked.

The problem is that an FCD was mentioned and they affect timing and make the ecu think there is less air coming into the engine which adjusts the rest of the map also. You then fix it using a rrfpr because the injection time has dropped due to fcd so increasing fuel pressure works. But then you have the problem where your increasing the pressure as the boost raises and you end up running rich.

So you drop it down but end up running too lean down low. You find a happy medium but your still overfueling somewhere and robbing yourself of power..

Thats why this stuff isnt liked.

Is there much different between the normal fcds and the clamp ones like the Jam ? Or do they work pretty much in the same way?

mine are going around 11 to 11.8 anywhere in there is safe the higher the nr the leaner it gets !!!!

try to get a good low steady nr at wot then start making very smal adjustments on the rrfpr

OK so fit my rrfpr. But don't make any adjustments until I see what the reading is on the wideband? If its below 11.8 on wot theres no need to make any adjustments ?

Sorry OP...totally jacked your thread, but I'm sure you'll find all this info useful too :)

Every car is different but 0.7 bar on standard everything on a TD04 is usually fine. Just buy a wideband and adjust the boost until you get decent afr's.

X2

They normally fuel fine under the fuel cut boost level. Its when you start pushing 1 bar + problems can occur (using FCD setup)

Wideband is highly recommended though :)

I ran a TD04 on an externally gated setup.

Ran 0.6 bar, and standard fuel pressure. NO FCD. The wastegate held lower boost that on a CT9 on high boost anyway. Well under fuel cut, and nothing to worry about.

I ran it for 4 nearly 5 months before i went EMB @ TD.