Things To Look For When Buying Used Starlets

Hello folks,

I am gonna be starting to look for my first Starlet in the coming months, a 90s 1.3 model (N/A, for insurance purposes - mention a turbo and it adds at least a grand to my insurance quote!), on a budget of £1000 - hopefully lower.

Having never bought a used car before in my life, let alone a Starlet, I wanted to know if there was anything to look out for when looking at a used one. Bodywork rust, mileage (any known problems at certain mileage points), even the basics - any info would be greatly appreciated so I don't get stitched up when buying my Starlet!

Thanks guys :)

From what I gather your looking for a turbo car to insure as a non turbo because ironically I'd say Biggest thing to look for is sellers stating its a non turbo because its cheaper insurance. Generally people who decide its not worth insuring there pride and joy properly are just gonna be Idoits anyway. Its cheaper to insure it as a non turbo this is true but it's also cheaper to use sand instead of oil when you do a service but it's just as stupid.

yes i think/hope he meant that if he was gna buy a turbo starlet (which he would insure properly lol) then the insurance would shoot up.

for the non-turbos, the 4efe engine is usually pretty bullet proof you just want to check the arches for rust and dunno bout the N/A's but on the turbo cars the CV joints tend to be a thing to check i find.

so maybe if u have a test drive of one do a slow full lock turn in a car park in both directions.

apart from that id say just have a good look underneath for signs of rust etc but gta be honest unless its a total dog the N/A starlets aint usually been ragged at all. not rly that hard to find a clean one. good luck.