electrics died on the way to japfest :(, alternator?

Got a problem here, i was driving along to japfest playing catchup to the convoy, and my electrics went wobbly and the whole car cut out. only restarted with a jump pack, with my voltage reading 7.something while the engine was running. Stuttered up the motorway a bit more then died a death and was properly dead dead. i cant find any wires out of place or damaged, so im assuming its the alternator, though it turns just fine and doesnt seem broken. anyone able to gimme advice on what it might be? i hate electrics lol.

A battery can die whenever it feels like it haha I had one in my daily fiesta worked fine turned car of went into the shop come out and died wouldn't even start with leads on it that's how fooked it was

But they can go at anytime mate weather old new or what I changed the starter motor on the fiesta cause I dint think it was the battery it's either that or the alternator worth trying battery tho first innit only takes 5 min to change and see

Edited by rinseep82

But they can go at anytime mate weather old new or what I changed the starter motor on the fiesta cause I dint think it was the battery it's either that or the alternator worth trying battery tho first innit only takes 5 min to change and see

if u have a spare battery it is lol, true though.

Grab a multimeter and check the voltage on the battery dude chances are if the voltage was low while the car was running id point at the alternator.same happened on my celica recently changed the brushes in the alternator and its as good as new now :)

I was booming along, then noticed the car was slowing down, the wipers were moving really slowly and my gauges were flickering and going mad. fucker stopped dead in the one place i couldnt get phone signal, on the chevrons of an on ramp, in the dark and the rain lol. never been stranded like that before, its not fun.

• 1 month later...

yeah, it was the alternator, possibly the built in voltage regulator i think. swapped it out for a newer alternator i was told came off a uk car, plugged in and runs well, perfect running voltage!

whole car went dead suddenly, everything going one second and not the next. No lights or power anywhere, engine sounded like it was still going but that was just because it was in gear. when i messed about with it for a bit with a jump pack i managed to get it going for about 2/300meters of sluggish unhappy car before it went dead for good. got towed to work though sheer chance and replaced its alternator and battery a week later. battery wasnt completely gone, but it wasnt holding charge particularly well so i swapped it out too.