which alternator to grab?

hey all, quick question. new alternator for the starlet gt is 200+, so its second hand for me. i need to know if its jsut a generic alternator from any old toyota, or a specific one?

Make sure and get one from the same MK of GT aswell, or you'll need swap the plug on the loom or swap the plug housing on the alternator itself, not a massive task though.

MK2 have a circle plug and MK3 have a sorta oval plug.

lol all i wanted was a part number or a list of cars that have the same alternator, and i got swamped with offers instead.

27060-11281 27060-11280 27060-11270

was what i needed, incase anyone else finds this thread with the same problem. seems to have been chucked on pretty much any 90s corrola or paeso. pms away to those who offered! :)

Got a second hand alternator today off a glanza or uk spec 91 i think. its oval plug is the same as mine, and its mounts n what not, but the gubbins on the end are slightly different. i think the voltage regulator ive heard is in this pile o bits, is whats wrong with my old one so i don't want to swap it all over, can anyone advise me on whether the difference matters? leccy bits arnt my fav lol.

Could really do with an answer to this tonight please, gotta put it in in the morning and do a 200 mile round trip in the evening lol, could do with the peace of mind that it wont die again on the London ring road or some shit :L

I would swap all the old gubbins in and use it within a mile of half mile of your home, keep close eye on volt meter. If it goes below 13.7 whikst on idle before you have even gone anywhere u know that old reg is dead.

im 9/10ths sure its the crap on the end thats gone wrong, the bearings n what not on the old one are just fine. i also dont want to take something irreplaceable im not familiar with apart right before i need it lol.

Well u have nothing to lose by trying dude.to be honest I would wire my one that defo works.u can always wire an " external plug" if mines not gonna marry up with ures.

just three colour coded bullet connectors would do.

Resolder the wires inside and bring them out so u can them external plug them--easy

MORE problems lol. swapped the alternator out for the new one, chucked a starter pack on and cranked it over and over with no success. Im thinking no ignition, anyone able to suggest something please?